Dominican plumbing at it's best!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Unfortunately you cant teach "common sense", and its lacking in this Country big time..

Yeah I know what you mean like when a contractor doesn't nail the sub-flooring to the floor joists or the sill requiring the floors to be redone or a surveyor doing a topo survey doesn't shoot a catch basin because it's full of water which requires a major redesign of the drainage system or the building contractor uses two different benchmarks on a house and ends up with two different finish floor levels or a directional drill contractor doesn't call for utility locates and pierces a 48 inch water main or a surveyor doesn't tie a boundary correctly which means a home foundation has to be demo'ed and then rebuilt all to the tune of more than two hundred fifty thousand dollars. Oh wait that happened in the US.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

MAYBE ................BECAUSE THEY DESERVE IT..........

Good work doesn't create bashing..........only bad......

B in Santiago

True, but certainly it seems like many people here lump all Dominicans together as unreliable and poor craftsman. We have a reliable plumber in Jarabacoa - Beba- speaks English and learned plumbing in New York and Montreal. Good guy to have few beers with too. We have a Vet that does house calls, Doctor that does the same. Can't get that in the USA or Canada.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Chip recommended a contractor to me 2 years ago or so and he did extensive work for me.
He worked extensively on a project with 2 guys for 3 weeks and it turned out perfect.......
I supervised the changes I wanted done, he listened and did it my way and wallah.....job well done.
He was Dominican and I wouldn't dream of bashing his work......no reason to.....
I needed more work and he changed his number, the job ended up costing 1,200,000. DP
So he lost out ......

B in Santiago

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I had some ceiling repairs done around 8 months ago due to a water leak.
The ceiling started leaking again and after some investigation I found the problem.
The idiots wrapped a big sponge around the leaking pipe, instead of actually fixing the leak!

550969_10150812668255286_518405285_9933202_1118794221_n.jpg

This was done by a highly recommended plumber, so you never know.
Make sure you watch anyone working on your house like a hawk, beter still, fix the issues yourself.

Shoddy work is found across the world, even in morbid amounts beyond that present in the DR and incredibly more so in first world countries for the majority.

But one must admit this "fix" takes the cake!

WOW!

Now, if the guy had answered that he did that "after" he fixed the actual leak and used that as a matter of insulation on the pipe to avoid post condensation, then at least it would had been a let's let it be excuse, but this is outright theft!

Time to let know others that have used this guy that he's not to be recommended any longer...

Bash away all you want, those of us whom had been to YOUR own first world countries KNOW how bad it really is there compared to the DR in construction and "repairs" (which is another word for just change parts rather than actually repair anything).

But again, this one takes the cake!

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
That plumber was recommended by who? And how much did you pay him, don't tell me you paid him 100 pesos and expected more than 100 pesos worth of effort.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
That plumber was recommended by who? And how much did you pay him, don't tell me you paid him 100 pesos and expected more than 100 pesos worth of effort.

What does the amount have to do with anything?
Why is who recommended important?

The point of this post was to show what can happen when you don't supervise constantly and don't always trust a recommendation, despite who's telling you.

Next...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Quality Roulette

(...) don't always trust a recommendation, despite who's telling you.

It is indeed difficult to recommend workers here.
The problem being that one day they work well, the other day they work shoddily and do more harm than good.

Why?
I do not know.
It's the 'culture', I suppose.... :tired:

donP

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Believe it or not there are plenty of qualified plumbers, engineers, technicians here in the DR. The trick is to get references of course.

Speaking of plumbing I have seen it done correctly here so it can be done the right way. Also, for those in the construction business like myself (19 years) know that inferior crap like this happens in the States as well. In fact my brother makes a good living suing contractors.

OK... I'll freely admit that some contractors and tradesmen in the U.S. will cut corners on occasion. BUT I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IF ANYTHING QUITE LIKE THAT "REPAIR" EVER HAPPENS.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
OK... I'll freely admit that some contractors and tradesmen in the U.S. will cut corners on occasion. BUT I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IF ANYTHING QUITE LIKE THAT "REPAIR" EVER HAPPENS.

maybe a Dominican immigrant working as a plumber in the U.S. LOL LOL
actually quite impressive to come up with such an idea; my gardener would have used a piece of "goma" :bunny: (piece of a tire tube)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
maybe a Dominican immigrant working as a plumber in the U.S. LOL LOL
actually quite impressive to come up with such an idea; my gardener would have used a piece of "goma" :bunny: (piece of a tire tube)

That is quite common here for pipes that are outside the house..........

I have seen it done several times.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
When I moved in my house in 2006 I had a problem with the paint peeling in the garage and the living room and thought it was due to filtration yet even after resealing the roof the problem remained. I finally figured it had to be a leaky pipe and got a local neighbor who makes his living as a plumber, mostly for new construction. Anyway he thinks it's the bathtub drainpipe so he starts chipping the block and floor away in the bedroom adjacent to the bathroom in question and sure enough he finds the leak and fixes it. It hasn't leaked since.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Have seen gas (yes natural gas pipes IN the apartment) plugged with soap, rather than a cap with the proper thread seal tape for the job or compound... That was in a 1.9 million apartment in Manhattan...

Got to see galvanized piped in a 1 inch water line coupled to a brass line 1 1/2...

Got to see plenty of shoddy work, more so when nobody was there to inspect and keep an eye on the workers and subcontractors...