Dominican Remedies

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Let's summarize these remedies so far....so far we have garlic up the bum, menthol on the willie, and poo on the fingers!

Nobody mentioned the good ole' cure-all, jugo de limon to cure gripe, stomache problems and chase away mosquitos.

tambo'

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dried guatapanal pods - any idea what this is actually called in English? - for sore throats; and a concoction of watercress (berro) radish (rabano) honey and onion for 'gripe'; and berr?n (Bay Rum) for fever, as a disinfectant, etc.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Garlic

Got stung by a bee?
Apply straight from the clove immediately, it works.
There are threads on all this stuff.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
"Una bomba"...for stomach ailments. I dont know the ingredients other than limon but it works...very nasty on the taste buds though.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Stupid?

I am a great believer in the teas that I get brewed up by my friend. Especially good for an upset stomach or gripe. God only knows what she puts in them though!

:squareeye

Last edited by a moderator:

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
What about cures for stopping smoking? Heard about a 'tea' for that too.
Would love to know of any 'cures'

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Hola a todos.

I had a fungal toenail infection for the last 15 years or so. The medication my doctor prescribed was working (I was already growing a new nail) but it was recalled, and it scared me to learn that all those pills for the treatment of nail fungus are a risk to the liver. For years I tried several over-the-counter medications to no avail. When I went to the DR last summer, a cousin of mine boiled eucaliptus tree bark twice a day for me to dip my foot in that hot tea. I now have a new nail.

This is one I hadn't heard of and I must mention it to my friends. A combination of the heat, humidity and wearing trainers most of the time has produced fungal toe infections of almost epidemic proportions! I spent a small fortune on cream in the "farmacia" last time - it did work very quickly though.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Well this reminds me of My Fat Greek Wedding and his many uses for Windex...

Doesnt Vicks Vapor Rub (vivaporu) work on everything??

Pimples
headaches
throat
cough
fever
helps you sleep
I think is just great aura to have in your room!! LOL

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
OK, here's what I have been told. Drink your own urine (only your own!) to help with indgestion and heartburn. Bathe a child in urine if it has chickenpox. If you have gladular fever or swollen glands, find a tree that has chickens sleeping in it, walk around the tree several times and then take some of the chicken poo which is on the ground by the tree and rub it into your glands.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
OK, here's what I have been told. Drink your own urine (only your own!) to help with indgestion and heartburn. Bathe a child in urine if it has chickenpox. If you have gladular fever or swollen glands, find a tree that has chickens sleeping in it, walk around the tree several times and then take some of the chicken poo which is on the ground by the tree and rub it into your glands.

There goes my lunch!!!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
We get ours snipped over on this side of the pond mate!
(I think we even had a huge party, but I was too young to remember)

tambo'

Ohhh?? didn't know you were jewish.

Yes I went throguh the urine cure when as a child had a bad fever, mom rub it on my back, i think she mentioned the drinking part but didn't suggest it, yuk.

When had an upset stomach, she would give me camphor water, which not long ago i heard someone died from it, yikes!!!!

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I remember the owner of our local colmado had a metal tin on a shelf that was full of all different pills and pastilles, a lot of them were loose!
People would tell him what was wrong with them and he would dish out one or two pills like some sort of amateur physician. It did make me wonder what he was giving them sometimes.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007

Here is an article from Listin Diario, may 12 on Orinoterapia
Listin Diario

FORTALECE SISTEMA INMUNOL?GICO M?ltiples beneficios de la orinoterapia en salud
Matilde Fabi?n - 5/12/2008
"La orina no es un simple desecho que el cuerpo ya no quiere, sino un producto de la sangre, que es donde se concentra toda la sabidur?a y energ?a de las c?lulas de nuestro organismo."

Very interesting! I hope you all read it.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Salvia - Aloe vera

On my recent trip to POP, I had a sunburn. And that evening on the way home from Terrazo Caribe, one of my friends who lives there harvested some neighbour's :paranoid: salvia and handed it to me instructing me to cut the plant open and reem out the gel inside the plant. The car reeked, I thought cats were in heat in the neighbourhood or something. Little did I know it was me! I put some of the gel on my cheeks and it dried... Smiled and said good evening to the doorman at the Merien and noticed later I was covered in greenish-yellow dried slime. I cut the plant open with my eyebrow tweezers (useful travel item for little blonde moustaches). Scraped out the gel and slathered in on my burnt areas and went to bed. My burn was much better the next day!

When I explained to the housekeeping staff and minibar service man that the jar in the minibar fridge was not snot or any other bodily fluid, they told me that salvia (aloe vera) is used for treating grippe (mixed with bee honey). The lady who made the bed gestured behind the back of the minibar man that salvia is good for EVERYTHING as she raised her eyebrows.... Can any one elaborate on what it's used for?

Do people grow salvia and process the aloe vera for sale in the DR? I hope that was in fact aloe vera gel!!!