Dominican Republic Breaks Record in Tourist Arrivals

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Economist on both sides of the political rabbit hole seem to think our neighbors to the north are heading into a recession which will have an (negative) impact on peoples willingness to spend on leisure expenditures.
I agree with you on this point.
They are both wrong as it relates to travel spending...

"As economic pundits raise fears about a recession, the most powerful names in travel and hospitality are pushing back, pointing to bookings that illustrate a positive picture of the American consumer."

“We haven’t seen any signs of consumers being impacted in terms of travel spend. We all know there were pent up savings and underspend during Covid,” said Kern

“Travel is coming back, we are all pleased. We went through a hard time for two and half years of people not being able to travel the way they wanted to,” Fogel told CNBC.

“There is so much emotion attached to travel right now... [that] people are not going to cancel a trip to see their family for the first time in two years,” he argued.

As they say in chess ✔️

I am left handed that means I am one of the few in their right minds.
Anyone else have any opinions to share on about travel to the 🇩🇴 ?

"Too many critics tend to be silly
Too many frogs go ribbit but never leave lillies"
- Microphone, Slaughterhouse

EASTSIDE!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The number of travelers globally tells you how people feel about the cost and frustration of travel these days

Airports are jam packed - not many backing off flying

How long will it last ?
Hard to say..........

Reactions: CristoRey and Auryn

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
According to the nightly news the levels of persons travelling is higher than it was pre pandemic, even with less flights and so many cancellations.

The airlines really got caught with their pants down.

Jan 9, 2004
According to the nightly news the levels of persons travelling is higher than it was pre pandemic, even with less flights and so many cancellations.

It is a bit of a nightmare. Having just recently returned from the DR, the airports, customs, and immigration were jam packed. Flights cancelled left and right (staffing shortages/weather).

Global Entry was my savior. There had to be 300 people waiting in immigration lines at JFK.................the Global Entry kiosks were wide open.

And, as has been reported here as well, flight prices have increased quite dramatically.

Things will likely taper off after the summer travel season has passed.............

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: AlaPlaya

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My wife is planning a trip to the UK in the next couple months..... Sept is 50% less than August

DR flights are up about 25-30% by my experience.....

Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It is a bit of a nightmare. Having just recently returned from the DR, the airports, customs, and immigration were jam packed. Flights cancelled left and right (staffing shortages/weather).

Global Entry was my savior. There had to be 300 people waiting in immigration lines at JFK.................the Global Entry kiosks were wide open.

And, as has been reported here as well, flight prices have increased quite dramatically.

Things will likely taper off after the summer travel season has passed.............

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I agree. GE and TSA pre-check are absolute life savers. I've had both since they became available and keep them current even though I don't travel much anymore.

Worth their weight in Gold.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Okay guys, no more discussion about race please. That means all of you, no one here cares if you’re black, white or polka dot. Carry on……..
Exactly...... "includes Indians too", thanks Eric Burton in 'San Franciscan Nights. '

Jan 9, 2004
I agree. GE and TSA pre-check are absolute life savers. I've had both since they became available and keep them current even though I don't travel much anymore.

Worth their weight in Gold.

You do not need both…….GE will do the same thing as pre-check, but not vice versa, just make sure you upload your GE passid to your airline when you book. It will then be automatically printed on your boarding pass.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
You do not need both…….GE will do the same thing as pre-check, but not vice versa, just make sure you upload your GE passid to your airline when you book. It will then be automatically printed on your boarding pass.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Yep. I've made many, many trips with it.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there

There was much discussion about this. They were not "caught...", they made poor decisions and now all travelers are paying for their incompetence, arrogance, and ignorance.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I think it goes further than that. The some airlines got bailed out by their respective governments where they are operating.
The took the money. Restructured fleets and now have lowered capacity. They have no incentive to dramatically increase capacity. Now watch the profit numbers. I bet you see them skyrocket upwards...
There was much discussion about this. They were not "caught...", they made poor decisions and now all travelers are paying for their incompetence, arrogance, and ignorance.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
The government and economic planners (AKA the federal reserve up north) want to shrink the money supply strictly to curb inflation and not to keep workers from making money. The government injected (printed) too much money, ~5 trillion, during the pandemic and over stimulated the economy. There are now too many dollars chasing fewer and fewer goods. With the interest rate close to 0.25% and a vast money supply, inflation rose rapidly. This is evident in the current inflation rate of 9.1%. The federal reserve increased interest rate from 0.25%, 0.5%, 0.75% finally to 1.5% just in the past month hoping to ramp down inflation. The expected inflation was around 8.8% with most estimates in agreement but the number was higher by 0.3% of estimates. This will negatively impact anyone holding an APR mortgage, home equity line of credit (HELOC) or car loan. I believe the fed is not done this month and will increase the rate again at the end of the month by about 100bps just like Canada did.

Inflation decimates household budgets reducing discretionary spending for big and small ticket items alike while diminishing the ability to save money and eroding consumer confidence. Increased payments on loans of all types doesn't help the budget nor spending confidence. Energy is also a budget killer. Energy is up almost 35% year over year (YOY) with crude prices at ~US$96 a barrel and with increased worldwide demand things are not looking good. If nothing changes with winter approaching in the cost of energy is poised to increase, further reducing consumer discretionary spending and maybe savings. Energy is a big ticket item affecting everyone but for over 75% of the US workforce (~95 million) that drive to and from work everyday it is pure devastation of their pocketbook. With gasoline up ~48% YOY on average and wages only up 11% there isn't much disposable income left for savings or much else.

The last knife in the back of the working class is the hit they took on their retirement portfolio. Any gains made in the stock market in the past year or maybe more was almost wiped out. Those that had a position in cryptocurrency and were enjoying the fruits of the cryptocurrency hysteria, depending when they got in, could have lost most of their retirement money making the prospect of vacationing unappealing.

Energy use will increase dramatically after October in the tail end of autumn and in the whole of winter eating away paychecks and wrecking budgets across the country leaving little for necessary things and none for vanity. Considering airfare is up ~38% and travelling being so inconvenient lately with delays and cancellations with decreased savings and a decimated budgets, I only see reduced travelling to DR after the tail end of autumn.

This was my Dominican 1 1⁄4 Mota worth enjoy at your own peril. I'm not an economist nor do I play one on DR1. With respect good day.

Reactions: AlaPlaya and johne

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What indication does anyone have that the current numbers of non-resident air arrivals will not hold or increase?
Good morning Yourman
I,for one,really hope that the predictions for greater numbers and for a stronger and more stable economy holds tight. Remember I live here! However, as I have noted in some other recent treads there are many, and I mean many, factors that could put the brakes on our goals (in the DR). But to have that convo one would need to discuss U.S. politics (in depth). That's not something that I think would work here on DR1.
DM me if you want to come out to the "mini-finca" and discuss this.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Just keeps rolling along........................

That photo in the article surely can't be in the DR? So many gringos packed like sardines on a beach?