Dominican Republic launches new country brand: The Dominican Republic, The Republic of the World

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Terrible choice. "Lo tiene todo"/"Has it all" worked well in both languages. "The Republic of the World" does not trip off the tongue in English and is pretty much meaningless in either language. The only saving grace is that it emphasises the country's correct name but that is incidental to tourism promotion.

I thought it was just me. I pondered the "republic of the world" tag for a while and came up empty as to what it is supposed to mean. The good news no logo will make or break the tourism sector. Since so many people who either equate Punta Cana with the Dominican Republic or think Punta Cana is a country know it for its beaches and resorts, I think it would have been helpful if the logo indicated something about the climate and diversity. Australia for example doesn't need to do that because its name is so well known.

Feb 7, 2007
Apparently in Alicia Ortega a graphic designer has shown how the original logo became the DR logo ... so yes it's plagiarism. Check out the video.

• Wow
Reactions: JD Jones

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I thought it was just me. I pondered the "republic of the world" tag for a while and came up empty as to what it is supposed to mean. The good news no logo will make or break the tourism sector. Since so many people who either equate Punta Cana with the Dominican Republic or think Punta Cana is a country know it for its beaches and resorts, I think it would have been helpful if the logo indicated something about the climate and diversity. Australia for example doesn't need to do that because its name is so well known.

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
That seems like a pretty clear cut case. Now it boils down to a choice of writing a check to cover the derechos del autor or changing the logo. Maybe a good compromise would be the artist change the logo for the fee already paid.

Jan 9, 2004
It is being reported, that the new logo has been abandoned......for many reasons.....not the least of which was plagiarism.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It is being reported, that the new logo has been abandoned......for many reasons.....not the least of which was plagiarism.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Now they will be offering a contest for a new logo design. Kudos for acting quickly

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I hope they revisit the "Republic of the World" slogan too. They should go back to "Has it all" if they can't think of anything better.

Reactions: Africaida

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I nominate "Adventures in Paradise" Corny, huh?