Dominican Republic marriage certificate

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
Hi and happy new year

I am not living in the DR any more, how do I get a copy of my DR marriage certificate please?

Also, if I leave it to me ex to do the divorce, all straight forward, what should that cost in pesos?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
You get your dr marriage certificate at a JCE ( junta central electoral---- i think ), cost should be 400 pesos for a normal one..... ( inextensa one could be a 100 pesos more, i cant remember ).

No idea for a divorce.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Don't give the money to your dominican ex to do the divorce. He will probably spend the money on something he feels is more important like drinking with his buddies. If you want something done do it yourself.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
Hi I’m in the uk, how would I contact the JCE, do you have an email for them by any chance please? Sorry to seem dim but what is inextensa?

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Hi I’m in the uk, how would I contact the JCE, do you have an email for them by any chance please? Sorry to seem dim but what is inextensa?

Not too sure tbh....... it has a couple of lines more than the regular marriage certificate.
The " regular " one is extracto de acta de matrimonio ,
And the other is acta inextensa de matrimonio .

The only difference i see is the latter has each party's place and date of birth.

I would phone the JCE of the circunscription where the marriage was celebrated, to check if the marriage is on a digital database.
It is only recently that there is a database, before they looked it up in a physical book at your JCE.
Apparently now you can request a certificate in any JCE ( but i haven't tried, always go to my initial local JCE ).
You will also probably have to have the act legalisado, not available in small towns...... but for around 300 pesos a guy at the JCE will send it to be done for you in a big town like santiago ( in my case ).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can this be gotten if you are not here , or do you need to provide a lawyer with power of attorney to get one?

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
Thank you everyone for your advice, I’ve emailed the JCE so I hope they get back to me ??????

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Good luck with that. You emailed them in Spanish right?

Let us know, miracles do happen, so I am told.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You will also probably have to have the act legalisado, not available in small towns...... but for around 300 pesos a guy at the JCE will send it to be done for you in a big town like santiago ( in my case ).

I just recently found out when obtaining a legalised birth certificate that this is no longer possible. There was an official notification of this posted on the service window at JCE in Sosua. I had to go to Santiago to get it legalised. :(

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I just recently found out when obtaining a legalised birth certificate that this is no longer possible. There was an official notification of this posted on the service window at JCE in Sosua. I had to go to Santiago to get it legalised. :(

Yeah, i phrased that weirdly.
What i meant is you pay 400 pesos for the certificate and then 300 pesos ( mas o menos ) for a dude to take it to santiago to get legalised ( the legalisation is free----- you are basically paying a motoconcho, but usually a guy who works at your local JCE who proposes the service for beer money ).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Excellent point about the legalization only being done in Santiago at the special office for that. That adds a big hurdle to getting it done.

A response to an email is unlikely.

I suspect lawyers will need to be involved with powers of attorney. Especially because of the legalization needed in Santiago and then the possible need for an Apostille as well if this is to be used out of the DR. The Apostille must be done at yet another government office.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Excellent point about the legalization only being done in Santiago at the special office for that. That adds a big hurdle to getting it done.

A response to an email is unlikely.

I suspect lawyers will need to be involved with powers of attorney. Especially because of the legalization needed in Santiago and then the possible need for an Apostille as well if this is to be used out of the DR. The Apostille must be done at yet another government office.

If for use outside the DR, in the UK, chances are the OP will get a british certificate instead.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If for use outside the DR, in the UK, chances are the OP will get a british certificate instead.

The UK is part of the Hague Convention regarding the Apostille requirement for documents to be leaglized, so I suspect, very strongly, that an Apostille will be needed on any DR generated document from the DR government office that does the Apostille and possibly there might need to be some type of additional "British Certificate" as well but that would happen after the Apostille if the document needs legal translation to English, for example, back in the UK.

https://www.gsccca.org/notary-and-apostilles/apostilles/hague-apostille-country-list

Scott18684

Jun 10, 2018
Hi and happy new year

I am not living in the DR any more, how do I get a copy of my DR marriage certificate please?

Also, if I leave it to me ex to do the divorce, all straight forward, what should that cost in pesos?

I have used a legal courier named Leo he can get your documents and translate them and certify them. He is reliable this is his WhatsApp number:
+1 (809) 223-6501