dominican republic or dominicana?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Well "The dominican" is correct as and adjective, of course. It is not correct as a noun.
About the baseball team shirts, it is just stupid. Not only it is ridiculous the way they use it, but also a little disrespectful. Remember when the shirt read "Dominicano soy"?, which was of course a direct reference to the Presidente beer slogan of the time. In any case, Serie del Caribe is a club tournament, not a country tournament. Have you ever seen the Manchester United wearing a **** reading "UK" instead of the team name while they play the Europa League? (I know, they don't have the team name either, but you get my point). It is also disrespectful to the champion team's fans, who now have to have their club name taken away from the team. As I said, it is stupid.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
People have posted here on DR1, thinking that this site was about, "The Democratic Republic of Congo".
NATURAL Mistake!
More than that I will not say!
CC

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Well "The dominican" is correct as and adjective, of course. It is not correct as a noun.
About the baseball team shirts, it is just stupid. Not only it is ridiculous the way they use it, but also a little disrespectful. Remember when the shirt read "Dominicano soy"?, which was of course a direct reference to the Presidente beer slogan of the time. In any case, Serie del Caribe is a club tournament, not a country tournament. Have you ever seen the Manchester United wearing a **** reading "UK" instead of the team name while they play the Europa League? (I know, they don't have the team name either, but you get my point). It is also disrespectful to the champion team's fans, who now have to have their club name taken away from the team. As I said, it is stupid.

Sure it can depending how one uses the word. Dominican can be used as a place. Example Tom is going to the Dominican tomorrow. If I told you Tom was going to the French Republic tomorrow it could confuse a lot of people because it is known as "France" in everyday conversation. Now that we established France and the French Republic are the same place on the globe how is using one wrong over the other? If you can use the word Cuba and not the Republic of Cuba why can't a person do the same for the "Dominican"

Gringos and outsiders do not like to hear the word Dominican because they were taught the country ONLY should be called the Dominican Republic and hear is something else the DR is he ONLY country that uses the word "republic" in its unofficial name on the planet. Why do you think that is? I do not count Czech Republic because in 1991 they Czechoslovakia

The Dominican Republic uses the word republic because somehow they think it will make the Dominican sound important.

Hey!!! JMB773 where are you going this month? Ohhh!!! I going to the Republic of Panama. How lame does this sound in everyday conversation?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
JMB773, I would agree with you if people said "Tom was going to the French", but people don't say that. French and Dominican are adjectives that need to be followed by a noun unless such noun is implicit. Since many things and people can be dominican, the noun is not implicit. When you say "Dominicans are cool" you're obviously talking about people, so it is implicit.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Yes I understand that but you have to understand who we are talking about here. Why Dominicans named their country this way is a mystery to me.

The Kingdom of Spain, Spain, Spaniard.
Republic of Columbia, Colombia, Colombian
Italian Republic, Italy, Italian
Japan, Japan, Japanese
Arab Republic of Egypt, Egypt, Egyptian
Hellenic Republic, Greece, Greek
Republic of Ireland, Ireland, Irish

Do you see how all of this country names and official name make sense from the other, now lets look at DR.

Dominican Republic, Dominican Republic, Dominican

What is wrong with this picture? If Dominicans like it I love it, but it does not make sense the way the rest of the world does. Maybe:

Panamanian Republic, Panamanian Republic, Panamanian ,looks a lot better then

Republic of Panama, Panama, Panamanian

btw Dominicans you gotta love them:cool:

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Calling the Dominican Republic the Dominican is as bad in my book as calling a Dominican a Republican...........:rolleyes:.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
The United States a unitedstatesian? I've heard a Spanish version of that Estadounidiense or something like that. And us calling ourselves Americans has caused confusian also. The Colombians like to say that they also are Americans. I remember an incident in Mississippi when myColombian wife was in conversion with several Mexicans, and one said to her Dona, biut aren't we all Norte Americanos, and she responded that she wasn't Norteno at all.
Der Fish
Der Fish

Now you are entering into dangerous territory....:cross-eye
That has often bugged me too. As a Canadian I always sort of wondered where that left me. After all we do share the North American continent. But in the end I figured what the heck.........They have to call themselves something and you're right Unitedstatesian sounds a little goofy.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Yes, but my Canadian friends here refer to North America as an entity, which it indeed is, and Mexico doesn't really fit into that entity, so welcome Canadians to North America, but just stay out of our elections and we'll stay outta yours.
Der Fish

Der Fish,
I don't know how the elections got dragged into this but seeing as how you brought it up, Here is an amusing look at what could have been if the most recent 2012 elections had gone south:
[video=youtube;OpUM47y7uT4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OpUM47y7uT4[/video]

Hasta luego amigo:classic:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
many posters here get their knickers in a twist over this issue :)
i never cared much as i explained before that in polish the official name for DR is republika dominikany (dominican republic) but normally it is simply called dominikana.
and now don alvarito from la zeta raised the issue again, over the t-shirts of dominican representation for la serie del caribe:
z101digital - Alvarito: 'Es ilegal que el Escogido vaya con el nombre de Dominicana a la Serie del Caribe'

comments below the article swing both ways...
The issue arises because the actual name of the nation is Santo Domingo (yes, the same as the capital city and this caused an issue regarding what the natives of the capital city would call themselves, since dominicano already applied to the natives of the island and capitalino is anyone from any capital city, the RAE accepted capitale?os for natives/residents of the Dominican capital), since dominicano derives from domingo.

The name of the state is Rep?blica Dominicana, in the same way that the name of practically every other government (Rep?blica de Argentina, Estados Unidos Mexicanos, Rep?blica de Colombia, Rep?blica Bolivariana de Venezuela, etc).

To call the Dominican Republic simply "dominicana" is the equivalent of calling Mexico "mexicana" or Colombia "colombiana", or simply saying "polish won the world cup" rather than "Poland won the world cup."

In essence, the name of the nation is Santo Domingo, but the name of the state is Rep?blica Dominicana. We call ourselves dominicans not because the state is called Dominican Republic, but because it derives from Santo Domingo.

If you ask why Santo Domingo, the answer is because that was the name of the Spanish colony. The official colonial name was the Overseas Province of Santo Domingo, and the natives of this colony were known as dominicanos since the late 1600s/1700s.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2011
The issue arises because the actual name of the nation is Santo Domingo (yes, the same as the capital city and this caused an issue regarding what the natives of the capital city would call themselves, since dominicano already applied to the natives of the island and capitalino is anyone from any capital city, the RAE accepted capitale?os for natives/residents of the Dominican capital), since dominicano derives from domingo.

The name of the state is Rep?blica Dominicana, in the same way that the name of practically every other government (Rep?blica de Argentina, Estados Unidos Mexicanos, Rep?blica de Colombia, Rep?blica Bolivariana de Venezuela, etc).

To call the Dominican Republic simply "dominicana" is the equivalent of calling Mexico "mexicana" or Colombia "colombiana", or simply saying "polish won the world cup" rather than "Poland won the world cup."

In essence, the name of the nation is Santo Domingo, but the name of the state is Rep?blica Dominicana. We call ourselves dominicans not because the state is called Dominican Republic, but because it derives from Santo Domingo.

If you ask why Santo Domingo, the answer is because that was the name of the Spanish colony. The official colonial name was the Overseas Province of Santo Domingo, and the natives of this colony were known as dominicanos since the late 1600s/1700s.

Superlative explanation.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i can't hear you :) it makes sense in polish :)
my country is called rzeczpospolita polska (republic of poland, i guess) or polska for short. the thing is that word polska is both noun and adjective. polska kielbasa (polish sausage) and polska as a country.

alvarito is talking about spanish name specifically. republica dominicana. it seems to me that dominicana also can be both adjective (bandera dominicana) and noun (dominicana).

Dec 26, 2011
But that brings us back to...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, but polish won the world cup (i wish) is not exactly incorrect. it could pass.
all i am saying, apart from the fact i am lazy and i always aim to simplify the language, is that the language is not set in stone. it does not matter what is super correct today because it may change tomorrow. alvarito and NALs can fret as much as they like. today's mistake will be tomorrow's norm... and if dominicana can be a noun it could refer to the country as a whole.