Dominican Republic: Prank calls swamp emergency number

Feb 7, 2007
there could be a system in place that will charge the 100 as soon as more minutes are put in. ha ha ha. imagine those petty a**holes making 20 prank calls about the lack of beer, pizza and toto and then crying like babies when every single peso they put in the phone in the future goes directly to 911.

You bet me to it... yes system to the likes of "prestame fondos". I was about to suggest the same thing. But I would go even further. If there was a real emergency, AFTER the units were dispatched and took care of situation, you could open up a "reclamo" with the carrier, who would check with the system whether it was a real emergency, and if yes, the 100 pesos would be refunded back.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I guess there are actually other places with 'stupid people'... who'd a thunk it!
Not THAT stupid. Dominicans are #1.

If you give them something for free, they abuse it. Free beach access? Tons of garbage there as the result. Free 911 call? Tons of prank calls.

Nothing should be free of charge in DR. NOTHING.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Ban the names attached to numbers that called from having cellular service for 2 years. They try to get it in their name on a different carrier, banned.

Also, dv8 has a great idea. Prank call? 911 service alerts phone carrier and the next recarga they put is a penalty until they pay it off.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Ban the names attached to numbers that called from having cellular service for 2 years. They try to get it in their name on a different carrier, banned.

Also, dv8 has a great idea. Prank call? 911 service alerts phone carrier and the next recarga they put is a penalty until they pay it off.

Guys, all this bans, tracing the numbers, etc will NOT work. Too complicated. It's the same like confiscation of the motores for no casco o luz rojo. Maybe once in a while, but not on regular basis. Nobody wants to be the unpopular guy who implemented those measures, they don't have balls for it.

But making the 911 call cost some money is simple. Just another thing in this country that is not free of charge. And pay services are never abused, who wants to abuse his own wallet?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
THat's a good Stag answer. Tell on your neighbor. Sounds like Nazi Germany.
Since when is reporting a crime a bad thing, 'Fish, even when it's your neighbor?

If I know your next door neighbor stole your wallet and you didn't know who did, wouldn't you want me to tell the police? Or is that a "Nazi" thing?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since making a prank 911 call is against the law, some people should be prosecuted until the word gets out that it is not the right thing to do. This may also die down on its own, but as others have said, you can't fix stupid.

(Here is a great place for that phone "kill switch" being talked about to be used.)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Since making a prank 911 call is against the law, some people should be prosecuted until the word gets out that it is not the right thing to do. This may also die down on its own, but as others have said, you can't fix stupid.

(Here is a great place for that phone "kill switch" being talked about to be used.)

It will be.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Not to hijack, but that would work for littering, too.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Oh come one bronzeallspice....are you PICHARDO now? That kill switch is never coming.

And how do you know it's not? Some believe others don't. Either way we shall wait and see what happens.

Many did not believe that the regularization of foreigners was really going to happen. And now look.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
inside information

also called gut-feeling

Really Muricio? You are going by gut feeling? :D

If it does happen, in the current state of the country, it would be a good thing
for the people.

Foe foreigners who are not used to gov't control, it will not be good for them.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Really Muricio? You are going by gut feeling? :D

If it does happen, in the current state of the country, it would be a good thing
for the people.

Foe foreigners who are not used to gov't control, it will not be good for them.

I don't think it's such a good thing. I don't like that much control from government or big companies, even if it's for a good cause.

Such control in hands of a dominican run company or government body: worse.
I also have a kill switch on my EDESUR meter. They come and kill my connection to the grid when they think I didn't pay the bill or my neighbor didn't pay and the EDESUR guy forgot his glasses. Try getting that solved. Now the same with a phone connection, which has become a vital part of life for many people.

Oh...and I am used to much more government control than in DR. But at least it was carried out well, it was predictable and consistent.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I don't think it's such a good thing. I don't like that much control from government or big companies, even if it's for a good cause.

Such control in hands of a dominican run company or government body: worse.
I also have a kill switch on my EDESUR meter. They come and kill my connection to the grid when they think I didn't pay the bill or my neighbor didn't pay and the EDESUR guy forgot his glasses. Try getting that solved. Now the same with a phone connection, which has become a vital part of life for many people.

Oh...and I am used to much more government control than in DR. But at least it was carried out well, it was predictable and consistent.

I know Mauricio. That's why I said that foreigners may not like it but the Gov't has to do what's
good for the people and the country in the current state. If this is a way to curve the crime
and others things, I hope it works. I'm sure there will be glitches, but it can get fixed.

Just about everything in the DR is controlled by the gov't.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I know Mauricio. That's why I said that foreigners may not like it but the Gov't has to do what's
good for the people and the country in the current state. If this is a way to curve the crime
and others things, I hope it works. I'm sure there will be glitches, but it can get fixed.

Just about everything in the DR is controlled by the gov't.

You cannot expect everything to be as it is in your native country. Hence the conflict.