Dominican Republic: Seven betting shops for every public school

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Ministerio-de-Educacion-2-El-Caribe-e1639145538748.jpg

In the Dominican Republic, there are seven betting shops for every public school, N Digital reports. Many of the betting shops are on the same block of school.

The calculation of betting shops to schools is based on official statistics from the Ministry of Education for the 2022-2023 school year. The Ministry of Education lists 7,839 educational centers in the public sector. Meanwhile, the National Survey of MSMEs, presented last week by the Central Bank and the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and MSMEs (MICM), counted the operation of 56,933 betting shops, both formal and informal.

The story in N Digital reveals that if private schools are added, then the schools would be 10,567. So, compared to the number of betting shops, there are five betting shops for every school in the Dominican Republic.

Another way to see how betting shops proliferate and thrive...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
The problem with the betting shops is much bigger than most of you might think. The number of betting adicts in the DR goes in to the hundreds of thousands. This people (btw. mostly mothers) spend every last cent on the lottery. I once talked to a criminal judge that talled me: "If all lotterys would shut down tomorrow the government could lay of 20% of the prosecutors and judges". The amount of crimes comitted by this betting junkies to finance their adiction is mindblowing.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The problem with the betting shops is much bigger than most of you might think. The number of betting adicts in the DR goes in to the hundreds of thousands. This people (btw. mostly mothers) spend every last cent on the lottery. I once talked to a criminal judge that talled me: "If all lotterys would shut down tomorrow the government could lay of 20% of the prosecutors and judges". The amount of crimes comitted by this betting junkies to finance their adiction is mindblowing.
It’s like a chapter right out of “how to keep the poor and sick poor and sick”