Dominican Republic to Build Country's First Coal- Fired Plants

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
The country's first coal-fired plants

Dominican Republic to build two 770MW, coal-fired plants for US$2.04B

Santo Domingo.- The group formed by Odebrecht, Tecnimont S.p.A and Estrella won the call for tenders to build two coal-fired plants, Dominican Republic?s State-owned Electric Utility (CDEEE) announced Monday.

The group will build two coal-fired plants of 384.9 megawatts each for US$1.94 billion, while a port for their support will cost US$95.0 million.

In a statement the CEO of the CDEEE, Ruben Jimenez Bichara, said that according to the evaluation and consultations, the winning bidders scored 97.19 over 100, in the call for tenders began by the Utility on May 13.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/image/article/18/209x400/0/3347E3E6-87C9-4F60-89E2-6EA87AC08B06.jpeg

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...-build-two-770MW-coal-fired-plants-for-US204B

As if there isn't enough pollution already.
Now, using the worst of old technology.

May 29, 2006
With the price of DIY solar panels dropping at a steady pace for the last 30 years, by the time they get it up and running it will be cheaper for most homes to have their own panels and be off the grid. It's already cheaper for rural sites where the power lines haven't been strung yet.

6a00d8341f604153ef010534fc11a3970b-800wi

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Coal Producers" pay more "Kick Back" on their coal sales to the "POLITICOS" here than the Natural gas producers.
Soooooooooooo "Coal Is STILL KING" for the DR!!!!
I think that "Solar" is still many years from becoming a reality, maybe NEVER here.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Gov't greed vs well being

Unfortunately, the government places its greed above the economic well being of the populace it is charged to serve. It may be suggested the mind set of government is an agenda to highly tax import of solar components to protect the gains it receives from the fossil fuel plant energy providers. Solar energy on the other hand may be installed for individual use at an high up front high cost. Yet, over time it pays for itself as it is dependent only on free solar energy rather than costly fossil fuels. Maintenance is minimal, mostly for upkeep of battery storage of energy for overnight use; over time it is much less costly than the monthly billings from public or private energy suppliers.

Regards,

PJT

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
1 coal fired plant really isn't going to impact air quality. 50 yes. Also pollution control technology is pretty advanced as compared to the plants built n the 50s - 70s.

Take a look at a recent article from Spiegel magazine.

Beijing - The smog in China's cities take times to proportions that are hard to imagine for Europeans. Sometimes even the traffic must be shut down, because the dirty air is so dense that the view extends only a few meters wide.

The Beijing government has now announced a further measure to get the problem under control: The combustion of coal is to be reduced drastically. The consumption have been located in the first half of 2014, down seven percent from the previous year, reported the state news agency Xinhua on Tuesday, citing official data. 2013 came in at 19 million tons of coal consumption in Beijing. By 2017 it is projected to decline to less than ten million tons per year.
In March, China has the "war against air pollution" proclaimed to counter public discontent with the smog. Several outdated coal power plants have already been shut down and replaced by natural gas power plants. Beijing has begun to close hundreds of factories or to resettle and to tighten exhaust standards for cars. In May, the government has announced that it will pull around five million obsolete vehicles off the road.

Beijing's environment authority said it had shut down already 176,000 cars in the first six months of this year. The sulfur dioxide emissions have decreased by more than five percent over the same period. Since Beijing is administratively merge with Heibei and the port city of Tianjin, also there stricter rules would continue to apply.

MBE / Reuters

Smog-Bek?mpfung: Peking will Kohleverbrauch drastisch senken - SPIEGEL ONLINE

In the DR add the pollution of vehicles to obsolete coal power, what a bad choice.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
A couple of years back, I would have said pollution, blablabla........
Nowadays ANYTHING is OK if to get more luz.......... even if we have to burn every family's first newborn to keep the power stations up and producing.......

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
coal is shipped by tankers/and then trains..it seems like a cluster f/// to me...probably trying to sell the most inferior left over coal they have to d.r. and does it make economic sense to coal companies? a freight train that is carrying coal is approx 100 cars long. that is one delivery...a r.r.car can hold alot more coal than one huge truck...they dont moniter the filthy diesel trucks...so no you have every old dirty diesel cummins motor running at night so no on sees the filth/dirt/pollution it spits...beautiful country...before....coal...

Jan 9, 2004
Not to worry.

While China builds one new coal plant a week, the DR seems to announce the building of one new coal plant a week....and unlike China, I do not believe the DR has actually built any of the many that have been announced over the last few years.....and I suspect this one will be no different.

Part of their plan if you will....is to announce these, get the hoped for reaction from the environmentalists worldwide....and then get the WorldBank, ExIm bank, etc to "loan" them money to build a new nat gas fired one. That is what I suspect will happen....but not for at least two years.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

May 29, 2006
I grew up by a train track that delivered coal to the local power plant. About twice a week and yes, about a hundred cars long. Solar is booming in Europe, but the Americas are in denial about it's cost effectiveness.. If it makes sense in Germany, it makes even more sense in the DR. Germany has plenty of coal... The main advantage I see in the DR is it's much more scale-able so you can build a dozen smaller solar plants and not need power lines running from city to city.

A real game changer for solar will be when new large scale battery technology takes off. Battery banks the size of a shipping container that could power a village or small city for months or a year and simply switched out for fresh ones when they need to be recharged. It's coming..

http://www.ted.com/talks/donald_sadoway_the_missing_link_to_renewable_energy

Last edited:

malko

Jan 12, 2013
The problem for me as an expat ( even if my wife is dominicana ), is as the forbes thread pointed out is the unreliability of the dr......
Why invest in solar energy if in 5 years time the gvt decides to throw evryone out ??? If I was back home I would of already gone to solar.
But here, high costs ( no gvt help like in europe....), installers are completly ignorant ( have seen 3 so far ).

Also back home, no batteries are needed, ure xtra solar energy is injected back into the network, and u are paid for it !!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I grew up by a train track that delivered coal to the local power plant. About twice a week and yes, about a hundred cars long. Solar is booming in Europe, but the Americas are in denial about it's cost effectiveness.. If it makes sense in Germany, it makes even more sense in the DR. Germany has plenty of coal... The main advantage I see in the DR is it's much more scale-able so you can build a dozen smaller solar plants and not need power lines running from city to city.

A real game changer for solar will be when new large scale battery technology takes off. Battery banks the size of a shipping container that could power a village or small city for months or a year and simply switched out for fresh ones when they need to be recharged. It's coming..

Donald Sadoway: The missing link to renewable energy | Talk Video | TED.com

i have a friend who does the installation of solar panels here and says the solar panels built for Europe have a short life span here, as they are not designed for the tropical sun. I certainly agree about the US but the oil industry has the government pretty much in its pocket.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Malko" the problem with the electricity sector in the DR, is Political, not lack of generating supply.
The producers stop producing because the DR government isn't paying them for what they produce.
The ONLY way to get some money, is to STOP PRODUCING!!!
That forces the Gov. to make a 100, or 200 million dollar payment on their debt of around 800 million!
The government refuses to force the 50% of consumers who pay little, or NOTHING for what they consume.
They want the votes of the people getting "FREE", at least to them, electricity!
I love driving by a poor barrio, with no electric meter, and seeing the "A/C units on the houses!!!!
I'm paying for THAT!!!!
It's the DR's version of the "EBC" benefit to "Loafers" in the USA!!!!!!
When "Grandma" finally dies, I go SOLAR!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Also back home, no batteries are needed, ure xtra solar energy is injected back into the network, and u are paid for it !!!!

malko, someone here on DR1 reported that Edenorte [I think] installed a special meter, and their unused electricity was sold to the eletric company. It CAN happen in DR too.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
malko, someone here on DR1 reported that Edenorte [I think] installed a special meter, and their unused electricity was sold to the eletric company. It CAN happen in DR too.

That would be great !!

malko

Jan 12, 2013
But we would also need ininterrupted 24/24 power, for night time.......( so as not to need the batteries. ).

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Is natural gas a clean fuel?
Some natural gas comes out the ground with 20% sulphur.
The sulphur is scrubbed out to make fertilizer.

Coal can be gasified to produce a clean fuel. Methane which is the main ingredient in natural gas.

DS

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is no "Clean Coal",...just "Cleaner Coal"!!!!
For those of you who are "Spanish Impaired", "dv's" link says that the "DR Coal Fired Electricity Plants" are "On Hold"!
For NOW!!!!!!!!
Since so many government officials are salivating over their "Commisions" if the plants are built I say they will go ahead.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Where will they build these coal power plants?

my silent guess is that the government will buy a land somewhere close to the coast or a river. accidentally this will be a land that belongs to some politician or his family/friends. coincidence.