Dominican Republic vs. Colombia

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I've also visited Cartagena in Oct 2010, it's a nice city with lots to do. Although the beaches at the city are not that great it's very usable and you are very close to much nicer ones nearby.

It's a lot larger place than many cities in DR located by the sea so perhaps not quite an easy comparison. I would say the prices in touristy barrios are higher than DR touristy places, but again locals can always find cheaper hangouts.

Of course it goes without saying that you should go and stay in a place for a month or more before deciding on a long term plan.

I don't think you can get around the tourist visa limit like in DR (just paying fine on exit), might consider enrolling in a cheap college for student visa (not sure, or exit every few months - I love to know too, I might do a few months there myself soon).

Good luck.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
I prefer Medellin to where I am living here. But there is an ols country western song. All my exes are in Texas, that?s why I live in Tennessee. Well myself I have 2 exes in Medellin, so I am here in the DR!
Der Fish
Why not hit another part of Colombia or is there something special about MDE I am missing?

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Also, what is the best way to circumvent the Visa in Colombia that only allows you to be in the country 180 days a year?

there are many different visas with a long stay, e.g. fiance visa that allows to stay 1 year - supposedly easy to get, then entrepreneur visa for 5 years, student visa (but that requires 20 hours a week study), etc. If you have multiple citizenships, you can just coast on a tourist visa for 180 days on each passport.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Colombia hands down wins!!! I have lived in both places but Colombia is in a class of it's own. Can not compare a country of about 60 million plus (aprox) in population and it larger size to a smaller country. Much more diverse and complex country.

The Dominican Republic does have an advantages in my opinion......it's a lot better and more friendly for doing business in the Dominican Republic then colombia and you can sell almost about anything and people will buy it, Dominicans love to buy and sell things.

The banking and real estate system in colombia is way backwards and it's very hard to a open a bank account or even rent a long term apartment when compared to the DR.

Colombia has probaly the most beutiful women in the world and they are very plentiful and extremely friendly to gringos.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
You can also apply for a business visa and it's not a very complicated procedure and this will allow you to stay in the country for extended periods of time and in addition with it, you can also apply for a cedula carnet. Which is your identity ID with a number on it similar to a social security number you get in the U.S. but with a picture on it and with this you can do almost about anything you want in Colombia and can get one for the first time for about 1-2 years.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Medellin in my opinion is the best city to live in colombia if you are looking for a big city to live in colombia. Medellin is a very friendly, clean and well organized city to live with enough amenities to keep most expats happy there with it's modern infrastructure and tranportation system and vast diversity of real estate to choose from etc. That most expats would feel thrilled to live there. The impression and feel you get sometimes is like you are in a european country not a latin american country with there extreme pursuit of cleanliness.

If you are looking for an alternative and a midsize city with a more relaxed feel and less pollution and congestion of a big city, Manizales is another great choice. However, these both are known as paisa people and are not of strong carribbean heritage or culture.

If you are looking for more of a dominican republic style or feel then look no further then cartagena with their south beach style of condominiums, as well as the charm of the old colonial town of the walled city and tropical vibes and culture and also close to barranquilla the city of salsa be your best bet.

Last edited:

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Robert, those are some amazing pictures! I get to see many Colombian women here in Miami :knockedou:knockedou, I would love to visit the motherland.

There is a saying I heard from some Colombians friends..."There is no such thing as a ugly wife, only a poor husband"

Jun 25, 2021
Santiago
www.RobInTheDR.com
This question is old, but I'm sure it's still timely and others will view it in the future. So for the benefit of posterity, writing in September 2021:

I recently had to decide this question for myself and chose the DR over Colombia. The main reason was the fact that Colombia is more of a "red tape" state/government, and mainly in the area of visas etc.. They screwed up my visa renewal: lost it actually. They finally just said: no problem you're approved. However, by that time I had had enough. My main thinking was this: here I've just had my first interaction with the Colombian authorities regarding this all-important issue of my right to remain in the country and they've screwed the pooch. So what happens the next time around when even more important interests are on the line? Here is my full rant on the subject here: https://robinthedr.com/2021/09/colombia-vs-the-dominican-republic-for-long-term-expat-living/

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
This question is old, but I'm sure it's still timely and others will view it in the future. So for the benefit of posterity, writing in September 2021:

I recently had to decide this question for myself and chose the DR over Colombia. The main reason was the fact that Colombia is more of a "red tape" state/government, and mainly in the area of visas etc.. They screwed up my visa renewal: lost it actually. They finally just said: no problem you're approved. However, by that time I had had enough. My main thinking was this: here I've just had my first interaction with the Colombian authorities regarding this all-important issue of my right to remain in the country and they've screwed the pooch. So what happens the next time around when even more important interests are on the line? Here is my full rant on the subject here: https://robinthedr.com/2021/09/colombia-vs-the-dominican-republic-for-long-term-expat-living/
I don’t know about the recidencia thing in the DR. I did it many years ago when it was easy. Now it sounds much to difficult for the value you get of being “allowed” to stay but many stay long term anyway without and just pay an overstay fine when they leave. I have to renew mine and find so silly that I have to do that every 4 years and it’s often just when it’s least convenient. Red tape. I don’t know. The DR is bad to.