Dominican Republic vs Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
RD-vs-Israel-Clasico-Mundial-Beisbol-Diario-Libre-1024x682.png

Long-standing traditional rivals Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic are set for a much-anticipated matchup on Wednesday, 15 March 2023. The game will decide who will be the second team to move on in the World Baseball Classic qualifying rounds.

The game is a win-or-go-home situation for each of the two Caribbean rivals that both have won all their games except the games against Venezuela. Venezuela is undefeated in the World Baseball Classic taking place in Miami, Florida, USA.

Both Puerto Rico on Monday and then the Dominican Republic on Tuesday defeated Israel with the same score of 10-0 to reach the final game with standings of 2-1.

The Dominican Republic, Israel, Venezuela, Nicaragua and Puerto Rico are in Pool D.

The 20 teams have been placed in four pools of five teams for the first round of the 2023 World Baseball Classic, with each...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
"Past winners of the WBC are Japan (2006), Netherlands (2009), Dominican Republic (2013) and United States (2017)."

Japan won in 2009, too.

Reactions: bachata

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Israel got spanked lastnight (I quit watching at 7-0 point) but Puerto Rico will be a much different game. I plan on watching this one with friends tonight for sure.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Wow DR only got 1 run with bases loaded and no outs in the bottom of the 5th. That plus an in the park home run off a error on the DR centerfielder will be hard to overcome

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well I was impressed with Puerto Rico's pitching.
Unfortunately star reliever Edwin Díaz injured his knee as his teammates jumped on his back in the post game celebration on the mound. So for them it's a show down with Mexico next.
DR goes home.

I hope Díaz is available for the quarter finals.

US team advanced last night too, beating Colombia.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You wonder if many of these MLB players will be restricted in the future from winter baseball if Edwin Diaz's knee injury is severe.
He just signed a huge $102 million contract for 5 years largest ever for a relief pitcher.
It would sure cut into the DR's winter league's appeal