Dominican Smokers??

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Presidente = cool :)
Cigarrettes = yucky
eviltongue.gif

Not much of a theory on behavioral science. That's how we think, simply put.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Dominican smoking habits have changed

quite a bit. Perhaps I have the "advantage" of not having been back to the DR in more than 20 years prior to our April 2002 vacation. One of the first changes I noticed was the reduced level of cigarette smoking when compared to 20+ years ago. :)

During our recent trip it was commonplace to find no smokers in a gathering of 20 friends. 20 years ago there would have been 15 or more cigarette smokers in a similarly sized group. And I would have been one of them! I finally quit the habit about 7 years ago.

I'm not sure why modern Dominicans seem to avoid cigarettes; it is enough for me that they do so. :)

Swede

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
when I was growing up in the DR I remember my uncle made me and my cousin take a pull from a cigarrette after giving us a speech about not smoking. After chocking and coughing up a storm he said, "I hope I got my point across." And it worked, Never ever since that day have I or my cousin touched a cigarrette.

I am glad more and more places in the U.S are becoming smoke free. I don't mind when people do it outside because I can just walk away, but I hate when people do it indoors where I have to breath in that garbage. I just wish I could just go to a club or a bar without coming home with 20 layers of smoke on my clothes...it's just disgusting. Now that I think about it, I never saw anyone smoke at a club or bar in DR.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I had the same experience as Techie with different results. my Dad gave me a cigar thinking it would turn me off to smoking...I smoked until I had a heart attack at 44. It was a really good Dominican Cigar...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's been a while since I was at the El Rancho in Toronto ( merengue, salsa ect) but it was such a pleasure to come out of there not smelling like smoke. I always thought it was because Latinos were too busy dancing and didn't have time to smoke. Just kidding. I know they don't smoke as much as other bars. I really like going to a certain rock bar with my daughter but OMG when I get home I have to throw my cloths on the balcony and take a shower.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
who smokes in the DR

I can see the profile of smokers down here in DR :
-first, some older people, mostly from the campo, who smoke a lot, but they haven't been followed by the new generation...
-then the hookers and the bad tigres, mostly in the cabarets and car-washes, whore-houses etc...

Meaning that smoking has a conotation of prostitution for the ladies, and of thief or bad guy, for the men...