Dominican Spanish

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Yeah the OP would learn the language of bad, bad hombre

To the OP's previous quetsion, the channels and novelas I mentioned, would use Mexican Spanish (Univision/Televisa & Azteca novelas) and mixed Mexican/Colombian/Venezuelan Spanish on Telemundo.

The OP can even subscribe to Netflix and Hulu here there are many novelas and series from the above channels + additional ones from Colombia.

What about American movies dubbed into Spanish? Do they use Columbians for that?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
We were at a family event last week, and my cousin's daughter is married to a guy from Galicia. Their daughters are bi-lingual (from birth the husband only spoke Spanish to them, mother only English). They spend summers in Spain (parents both teachers) with their grandparents and family.  My husband was talking to the 8 year old in Spanish, and she just looked at him, and he speaks Spanish well (he even pronounces "s's", lol), but it took awhile for her to understand his questions. The father said it is probably because she is used to hearing a different accent and Castilian Spanish.  I'm thinking also because she is a child.

As far as the OP, I'd agree with Mexican too.  They aren't going to teach the Spanish the banditos spoke in the old western movies.  :)

It is probably because, at the end of the day, Spanish is her second language so she is limited to what she has been exposed to. Just like my children who are also bilingual (French & English), , when they hear another regional French accent (from the south for example), they get a little thrown off. On the other hand, French born kids would have been exposed to it and it wouldn't pose a challenge for them.

@sosuamatt: I am Parisian, I understand French Canadian perfectly. takes a little time to get used to the accent, some words might escape me, but barely understand each other is a stretch.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I knew some Mexicans when I worked at Logan airport and they told me that argentines spoke the best Spanish, So go figure?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I knew some Mexicans when I worked at Logan airport and they told me that argentines spoke the best Spanish, So go figure?

If "best" in this case refers to what those particular Mexicans consider to be proper Spanish, it doesn't necessarily mean that they view the Argentine dialect to be the most widely understood/accepted in the Spanish-speaking world.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Thanks. I'd like to see more videos of her solely for the purpose of improving my Spanish.

Why did you mention Columbian Spanish? Would you say that's the most neutral dialect across all Spanish-speaking countries?

In my opinion, yes. Very neutral and they pronounce their words clearly. A lot of people agree. I just met a girl from Colombia here in the DR last week I couldn't believe how easy it was to understand her compared to the average Dominican and I've been here 11 years.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It turns out after all these years of being lazy and avoiding learning Spanish I will have to do so afterall for professional reasons.
I'll need to take a standardized exam. The three exams available are offered for the Spain, Mexico, and Argentina variants/dialects. Since the choice is completely up to me, I'd like to study the dialect that is most widely accepted and understood throughout the entire Spanish-speaking world. Any suggestions? And are any of those three similar to Dominican Spanish?

Netflix is a great way to help you learn Spanish and improve your pronunciation and vocabulary. You can put the subtitles in English. Very good Mexican, Colombian, and Venezuelan Spanish.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

No. It sounds nice because of their Cantico, the purest is from Salamanca, that's where they speak castillano, pure Spanish.

Aug 6, 2006
Argentines speak clearly enough, but they tend to use "vos", and in Buenos Aires and environs, a lot of expressions from what is called lunfardo.

Colombians from the interior and Mexicans from Monterrey and Guadalajara and parts of the DF are easiest to understand. For Spaniards, Castilla and Castilla-Leon are considered the best in Peninsular Spanish.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
My post was tongue in cheek by the way. My ancestors are from Quebec and it was a Dominican PN that I met a few years ago told me the joke about his rapid spanish versus the slow mexicans.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Colombians from the interior and Mexicans from Monterrey and Guadalajara and parts of the DF are easiest to understand. For Spaniards, Castilla and Castilla-Leon are considered the best in Peninsular Spanish.

Yes, I've heard that the city of Valladolid in CyL has that reputation.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
If "best" in this case refers to what those particular Mexicans consider to be proper Spanish, it doesn't necessarily mean that they view the Argentine dialect to be the most widely understood/accepted in the Spanish-speaking world.

The best Spanish is whatever that particular person grew up with, how could it be different.If one is talking about the most universall understood that is a whole different smoke. The best Spanish for a Dominican would be Dominican Spanish.
Der Fish

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is the grammar ,not pronounciation ,that destroys spanish in some places mentioned ..Of course spanish from Buenos Aires is easy to understand because it is a bit like italian which I find is easy to understand but it is not good spanish like Peru or Bogota or my home in Zona Colonial!!!!

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
What about American movies dubbed into Spanish? Do they use Columbians for that?

Bart-Simpson-Colombia.jpg

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Argentines Spanish is like music to my Dominican ears!   I love it!  Colombian Spanish only sounds nice on a women.  Colombian men sound too effeminate, Like  they are whining about something, I don't know why a man would like to have a Colombian accept!!!   Mexican Spanish is only good in the Telenovelas and News. Mexican here in the USA speak with a lot of slang.  To me Peruvian Spanish is more standard and proper.  

I'm Dominican and I've been to Mexico, Peru, Honduras and Spain and I have never had a problem understanding any other Spanish speaker person who Spanish is s/he native language.   They didn't have a problem understanding me either.   I went to these countries with friends that only speaks English and they depended on my to ask for direction and translate when there were nobody who spoke English.

I love the Spanish from Spain too, especially from Madrid, and I love to watch movies from Spain.  I don't care too much about the Spanish spoken in Barcelona.  

Spanish is Spanish everywhere you go.  My other Spanish speaker friends and I can tell who is not a native Spanish speaker no matter how good their Spanish is.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Cashing in on the Colombian accent

BOGOTA, Colombia — "At a sprawling office in Bogota, operators equipped with headsets and computer monitors speak in crystal clear Spanish to customers in Mexico, Chile and Spain."

https://www.pri.org/stories/2010-05-10/cashing-colombian-accent

"Víctor García de la Concha, director of the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language, the head office and the oldest institution of Spanish in the world, said that it is true that Colombia has a reputation for speaking the best Spanish"

http://caracol.com.co/radio/2007/01/18/entretenimiento/1169114280_380061.html

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Argentines Spanish is like music to my Dominican ears!   I love it!  Colombian Spanish only sounds nice on a women.  Colombian men sound too effeminate, Like  they are whining about something, I don't know why a man would like to have a Colombian accept!!!   Mexican Spanish is only good in the Telenovelas and News. Mexican here in the USA speak with a lot of slang.  To me Peruvian Spanish is more standard and proper.  

I'm Dominican and I've been to Mexico, Peru, Honduras and Spain and I have never had a problem understanding any other Spanish speaker person who Spanish is s/he native language.   They didn't have a problem understanding me either.   I went to these countries with friends that only speaks English and they depended on my to ask for direction and translate when there were nobody who spoke English.

I love the Spanish from Spain too, especially from Madrid, and I love to watch movies from Spain.  I don't care too much about the Spanish spoken in Barcelona.  

Spanish is Spanish everywhere you go.  My other Spanish speaker friends and I can tell who is not a native Spanish speaker no matter how good their Spanish is.

That's funny that you should single out the Madrid and Argentinian accents as your favourites: those are the two that really grate on my ears. It also takes me a while to readjust to hearing andaluces speaking Spanish when I go back every year.