Dominican Spanish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Bart-Simpson-Colombia.jpg

Years ago I was driving in South Florida and saw a billboard announcing prices to fly to Columbia and called the travel agency that was advertising and found it was to Columbia S Carolina. That was what made the difference stick in my head forever.
Der Fish

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
What about with regard to ease of understanding for a foreigner. Which country speaks the clearest and most slowly?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
What about with regard to ease of understanding for a foreigner. Which country speaks the clearest and most slowly?

Colombian Spanish is widely considered to be the most neutral, "unaccented" Spanish and the one that is most easily understood by non-native Spanish speakers - especially those who are just beginning to learn Spanish.

Educated, native Spanish speakers will have no problem understanding Spanish in any other country except maybe with street Spanish spoken by uneducated speakers.

I remember when I lived in Puerto Rico I was at a bar one time with a Peruvian friend of mine. Some Puerto Ricans next to us were having an animated conversation. I asked him what they were saying. He said he didn't have a clue - could only understand a couple words here and there because of the heavy accent.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
'A gringo perspective'

Here is a video of an American that gives his opinion of the easiest and most difficult accents in Spanish (based on his exposure). I can't say I agree with all his points but it's interesting where he ranks Caribbean and Chilean Spanish.

I posted this video since he is a foreigner who is in the process of learning Spanish so his opinion is based on what he experienced. What I find interesting is he has some fluency and he seems comfortable speaking.

He definitely has to work on his grammar but if he pursues his learning that too will improve.

[video=youtube;P56omUOMMsE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P56omUOMMsE[/video]

-MP.

alhasdo

May 11, 2017
I would choose Mexican, but there are still significant differences in pronunciation and vocabulary.

I'm Dominican and I guess that there are some difference between the words that commonly we usually are speaking it's like English from Australia, England and USA

alhasdo

May 11, 2017
Colombian Spanish is widely considered to be the most neutral, "unaccented" Spanish and the one that is most easily understood by non-native Spanish speakers - especially those who are just beginning to learn Spanish.

Educated, native Spanish speakers will have no problem understanding Spanish in any other country except maybe with street Spanish spoken by uneducated speakers.

I remember when I lived in Puerto Rico I was at a bar one time with a Peruvian friend of mine. Some Puerto Ricans next to us were having an animated conversation. I asked him what they were saying. He said he didn't have a clue - could only understand a couple words here and there because of the heavy accent.

those stuff happen to me with english speakers when they speak street english...