Dominican Swimming Pool Wiring[emoji46]

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Do you see any code violations🤣
4f22111b86b4eb6fefdd8c5fd03972fd.jpg

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When I moved into my current house, I went around and redid all of the connections that were visible including inspecting the inside of all light switches and outlets. I learned from my experiences in my last house.

Not sure why junction boxes aren't a big item here. They can keep the ants and other crawlies from snacking on the electrical tape and keep excess water away. I have to watch electrical workers. Several times, the marrets that I put in place end up in the pocket of whoever is doing electrical work and the new connections get tape instead of the original marret.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
One odd feature: there is a cover on the breaker box...;)

So this can't be a "Dominican" job...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
They did not use any marrets, that's the problem.

Marrets? What in the world is that?

OK, marrets is Canadian for USA wire nut or twist on wire connector. LOL I had to Google that only to find out the inventor was Mr. Marret thus the name.............

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
Surprisingly the extension cord that's plugged into the timer; still has the original cord end on it, and not just bared twisted wires sticking into the sockets!

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
The breaker box in the first house I rented in Santiago was without a cover, because the former occupant decided they wanted kitchen cabinets on that wall. So...no cover, crazy wires hanging out, bare buss, breakers half-attached. It was a mess to straighten out. Of course, half the house was supplied from the neighbor as well. It was a freaking mess.

a263ca7cd066669e6a0c3e5e4cceace6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Blue wires to pump come OUT of the cement floor next to the pump. No conduit, nada. If something goes bad no way I can figure it out.

I call the electrician, he comes over and fixes it in 30 seconds and smiles.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
220V to the pump I presume. More importantly, if the pump springs a leak and the connection is sitting on a wet floor, should you walk over to see where the leak is, you could be going to bed for the afternoon or perhaps longer.

It is simply amazing that more people don't light themselves up in this country.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
220V to the pump I presume. More importantly, if the pump springs a leak and the connection is sitting on a wet floor, should you walk over to see where the leak is, you could be going to bed for the afternoon or perhaps longer.

It is simply amazing that more people don't light themselves up in this country.
Yes, 220v....the hard blue wire. Yes, water usually somewhere near...yes, I do not approach with breakers on...ever...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Ok, I'll throw my example in for shlts and giggles.

My case is different, because I am in an industrial building in a Free Zone. More importantly, I used an Electrical Engineer, not some fly by night idiot.

And lastly, I gave him a picture so he could understand completely where he was headed.

First, the desired end result:

How_I_wanted_it.jpg

Just before he started, I told him to hold on a second so I could take a picture. I grabbed my cel phone, and in that sort minute or two, he had everything pulled out of the box. Looking at the wires, you get a good idea of what it looked like.

IMG-20180127-_WA0002.jpg

And, just two hours later, I marveled at the Masterpiece he so proudly showed to me.

IMG-20180127-_WA0003.jpg

All things considered, it doesn't look that bad. I told him the wires were not straightened out like in the first picture, and he looked at me and asked "Why do you want them straighted?

And in all due respect, he only charged 2000 pesos for it.

Last edited: