Dominican Terrorist Arrested at JFK

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
They talked a lot about doing something, but I believe the US still has free speech.

Not necessarily at airports, though. Didn't I read somewhere you can be charged with something or other if you crack a joke about carrying an undesirable substance through airport screening?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Probably the dumbest post ever on DR1...It's called conspiracy SKY..

This is exactly my point. In the DR, as this is where we are, no one can be arrested for talking. There is no conspiracy law here.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not necessarily at airports, though. Didn't I read somewhere you can be charged with something or other if you crack a joke about carrying an undesirable substance through airport screening?

There was an arrest warrant issued before they ever reached the airport.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
The current governor of NJ made a name for himself by prosecuting some poor sucker set up in a terrorist sting. Maybe Almonte is a loyal American doing undercover work! In any case, we're all speculating.

I ll buy that.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There was an arrest warrant issued before they ever reached the airport.

Yes I understand that. I was responding to your comment about free speech in US, not about these 2 men - I believe certain topics are off limits during airport screening.
Man says carry-on bomb talk was a joke

And in UK as well, btw
Tweeter appeals against conviction over explosive airport message

The American and the Brit in the examples above were indeed arrested and charged, but not with terrorism. One was for 'reporting a false incident' & the other was for 'sending a message of menacing character'.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks, in a world where people put bombs in packages given to pregnant wifes/girlfriends, set to explode at altitude, there is just no playing around.
Training grounds? Camps where you can learn to make bombs? Yes and Yes...

I am personally in favor for all the profiling, evesdropping, counter espionage going on, as long as me and my grandkids can fly safely. Screw 'em...

HB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The question I ask is what exactly did these guys do to be arrested for terrorism?

They talked a lot about doing something, but I believe the US still has free
speech.

Next week I plan to go to Yankee stadium to join the Yankees, will they take me?
These guys are going to join Al-Quaida, they are not part of Al-Quaida.

The US has to keep its population in fear, otherwise it might be a bit harder
to keep taking liberties from its citizen's.

Straying a "bit" out of the subject, but I am going to Yankee Stadium too Wednesday night against the Phillies. Not that I love the Yankees, but my wife does :D

Weak minds are the prime prey for these terrorist recruits. Being Dominican doesn't have anything to do with it.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Folks, in a world where people put bombs in packages given to pregnant wifes/girlfriends, set to explode at altitude, there is just no playing around.
Training grounds? Camps where you can learn to make bombs? Yes and Yes...

I am personally in favor for all the profiling, evesdropping, counter espionage going on, as long as me and my grandkids can fly safely. Screw 'em...

HB

1. To be accused of terrorism isnt the same thing as having committed an act of terrorism. In the accusation which is all we have seen from the past 9 years the usual burden of proof is tossed to the wolves and the fear rationale is the only thing we are left to proceed with. There is more hype put into the notion that "a terrorist act was thwarted in the planning stages" instead of thinking that a lot of people are being bulllied my limitless government power and the desire to mid-level bureaucrats and prosecutors to make a name for themselves. Its been a long time since Eliot Ness, right?

2. We should be wary about these anti-terror campaigns because they a, have the undeclared ability to villify everyone who isnt determined to be a "normal advocate of the government's[any government] stance on whatever issue". Fear mongering at its best. Everyone is a suspicious and suspect everyone else. Oh no, those swarthy olive skin types, Dominicans, Brazilians, Morroccans, Filipinos, etc are to be viewed as those on the prowl to cause reckless mayhem and madness because they look like Iraqis, Arabs, and other middle eastern "angry" types. Makes you wonder who the good guy is? And if he is that good for real? The white guy with the white hat in the Cowboy movies who showed up on the white horse with the nickel plated 6 shooter to kill the Indians at will and then called them savages. There is more at hand than I think we want to understand.
and b. they tend to justify any and all countermeasures in defense of protecting ourselves from terrorism without discussing what are its causes. We are stuck thinking we are all good guys: "We were just sitting here in the public park reading the Bible and then these evil-doers just started throwing glass bottles at us."

3. And we should be very careful in our definition of terrorism and make sure its not actually revenge or more often Blowback, or a leveling of the playing field using rudimentary techniques and measures.

You cant shoot all those flaming arrows out into the world for your own gain and not expect to take a few in the ass in return.
The Universe doesnt work like that.

Reactions: SKY

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither." Benjamin Franklin

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
1. To be accused of terrorism isnt the same thing as having committed an act of terrorism. In the accusation which is all we have seen from the past 9 years the usual burden of proof is tossed to the wolves and the fear rationale is the only thing we are left to proceed with. There is more hype put into the notion that "a terrorist act was thwarted in the planning stages" instead of thinking that a lot of people are being bulllied my limitless government power and the desire to mid-level bureaucrats and prosecutors to make a name for themselves. Its been a long time since Eliot Ness, right?

2. We should be wary about these anti-terror campaigns because they a, have the undeclared ability to villify everyone who isnt determined to be a "normal advocate of the government's[any government] stance on whatever issue". Fear mongering at its best. Everyone is a suspicious and suspect everyone else. Oh no, those swarthy olive skin types, Dominicans, Brazilians, Morroccans, Filipinos, etc are to be viewed as those on the prowl to cause reckless mayhem and madness because they look like Iraqis, Arabs, and other middle eastern "angry" types. Makes you wonder who the good guy is? And if he is that good for real? The white guy with the white hat in the Cowboy movies who showed up on the white horse with the nickel plated 6 shooter to kill the Indians at will and then called them savages. There is more at hand than I think we want to understand.
and b. they tend to justify any and all countermeasures in defense of protecting ourselves from terrorism without discussing what are its causes. We are stuck thinking we are all good guys: "We were just sitting here in the public park reading the Bible and then these evil-doers just started throwing glass bottles at us."

3. And we should be very careful in our definition of terrorism and make sure its not actually revenge or more often Blowback, or a leveling of the playing field using rudimentary techniques and measures.

You cant shoot all those flaming arrows out into the world for your own gain and not expect to take a few in the ass in return.
The Universe doesnt work like that.

Finally someone with balls. I admire your courage.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There is more at hand than I think we want to understand.

I'm always reminded of Orwellian notions of compliance. I'll keep this brief so as not to go off thread topic but there is a fascinating book on this - review here:
Deconstructing the Media - Orwell, Chomsky & postmodern communication

Deconstruct this, if you will 'No one could be arrested until he first tried to try to board a flight for the Middle East and then make their way to Africa, clearly signaling he had intent to kill and maim as part of a holy war against America.'
FBI followed every move of two N.J. terror suspects for years, culminating in airport arrests

Which makes me ponder on, say, how would a respected middle eastern scholar, boarding a flight to the Middle East to pursue his research interests, protect himself against such allegations? He, too, would have lots of stuff on his computer (he is studying the subject after all), he, too would have had multiple discussions with colleagues etc etc. If he was someone like Professor Fawaz Gerges he'd probably be ok. But, a lesser known mortal.........?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I'm always reminded of Orwellian notions of compliance. I'll keep this brief so as not to go off thread topic but there is a fascinating book on this - review here:
Deconstructing the Media - Orwell, Chomsky & postmodern communication

Deconstruct this, if you will 'No one could be arrested until he first tried to try to board a flight for the Middle East and then make their way to Africa, clearly signaling he had intent to kill and maim as part of a holy war against America.'
FBI followed every move of two N.J. terror suspects for years, culminating in airport arrests

Which makes me ponder on, say, how would a respected middle eastern scholar, boarding a flight to the Middle East to pursue his research interests, protect himself against such allegations? He, too, would have lots of stuff on his computer (he is studying the subject after all), he, too would have had multiple discussions with colleagues etc etc. If he was someone like Professor Fawaz Gerges he'd probably be ok. But, a lesser known mortal.........?

How can you get off topic? Listen a few years ago my aunt(retired from the US Army) when on a cruise and she wanted me to watch her car while she was gone(because she departed from the cruise line terminal in Elizabeth, NJ, which borders Newark International Airport). Now in the time she was gone there were 7 young men arrested in Miami on "terrorismo" after an FBI Informant had them with materials that looked as though they were plotting to blow up the Sears tower in Chicago. To keep this DR related, 5 of the young men in Miami(none whom was older than 27) were Haitian and collectively NONE OF THEM HAD MROE THAN $200 TO THEIR NAME. And to most of us, plotting an incident and enacting or having the ability to enact it is where this case fell apart. Not to get into too many details but go to Greyhound.com and price out a ticket from Miami to Chicago, please. Unless they were flying on a magic carpet fueled by hopes and dreams there was no way they could carry this plan out. Impossible.
But....look at the government got convictions in this case, not from all of them. ONLY THOSE WHO COULDNT AFFORD COMPETENT COUNSEL. Those who felt the government prosecutorial powers were too much to bear took a plea saving the government from every using open court and reason to make their case. And we are still not talking about the people who havent been brought to trial(which makes me think the evidence against them must be even shakier, maybe the informant was the Easter Bunny?)
And for those Dominicans "who fit the description" dont forget the police in UK shot a Brazilian man point blank in the face because he fit the profile of some terrorismo. My concern has always been the same. The government is using the media and those talking head types to rationalize their actions and rally the people in support of ****ing on the US Constitution. In other words, we are better when we see the smoking gun than when we corral people and then arrest them saying their actions were criminal. It also should demonstrate to you that many federal prosecutors ARE NOT THAT GOOD. When your primary opponents are poor people who couldnt afford the Johnny Cochrans of the legal world to mount or even present the numerous holes or expert witnesses in the governments case then it makes it easier for you to bully and manipulate, right?

I even heard some guy on TV(Canal 25) on Saturday saying the Dominican government was going to do field exercises in all departments "contra-terrorismo". For what? Who and what nation is advocating destabilization of the Dominican Republic? I wish I could remember his name, but why fear monger here? Really? The Super-Diabolical Haitian menace? Piracy on the Caribbean Seas by Jamaican High Power Weed Man and Rastafarian Overlord: Sensi-Emilio? Sounds more like a Scooby Doo mystery than reality.

And also to address your last paragraph: What about the students of Mechanical or Civil Engineering that takes pictures or requests blueprints for skyscrapers which in 1999 were legal to request but now are seen as a security threat? Dont you think it will add excessively punitive effects to higher education or any education which isnt state sponsored or state sanctioned or supported. Sounds like Communism dont it?