Dominican wins Miss Canada Universe pageant

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Santo Domingo.- Dominican-born belle Paola Nu?ez Valdez was elected Saturday night as the candidate who’ll represent Canada in the Miss Universe 2015 pageant.

According to the event’s website Nu?ez immigrated with her mother to Canada at the age of 10, having prior success in Dominican Republic as a jazz, hip hop, samba and belly dancer as well as a debut on local television when she was 7.

Upon arrival in Canada the beauty queen had to deal with a language barrier, which got her recognition as honor students for her effort to learn English quickly.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/people/2015/5/25/55194/Dominican-wins-Miss-Canada-Universe-pageant

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
11147239_946318565448668_2330134184651634521_n.jpg

mu15ca.jpg

11246478_946327755447749_895891859412521620_n.jpg

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Seems like their is a Dominican Beauty Queen for every day of the year. Hay but that's not bad. Beauty is better than anything else i can think of!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Not sure what the contest rules are but surely she would not be considered a typical Canadian, eh?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
As useless as "Beauty contests" are in the grand scheme of things, you would think that in an international contest the contestants would need to be native to the countries that they represent, but then not much else about these exhibitions makes sense anyway.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
As useless as "Beauty contests" are in the grand scheme of things, you would think that in an international contest the contestants would need to be native to the countries that they represent, but then not much else about these exhibitions makes sense anyway.

Native to the country? Like? Only Inuit need apply? Do you have any idea what a variety of people we have that are third and forth generation born Canadians and still look like they just got off the boat.?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
How did I know that would get your goat ??

thanks for not beating me up !!!..............this time

hahaha

But the Chippewa are giving us trouble again at Ipperwash...... seriously, they are
want more land repatriated to themselves

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Native to the country? Like? Only Inuit need apply? Do you have any idea what a variety of people we have that are third and forth generation born Canadians and still look like they just got off the boat.?

Nothing quite that extreme.

"Native" as in "Country of Birth". It would lend an air of legitimacy to what I see as the Human Female version of the Westminster Kennel Club Annual Show.

dogshow2.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Inbreeding , thats called.............. too pure

Like Yellow labs..... need to go back to a black one every few years to avoid those 'Albino' types.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Nothing quite that extreme.

"Native" as in "Country of Birth". It would lend an air of legitimacy to what I see as the Human Female version of the Westminster Kennel Club Annual Show.

My daughter and granddaughters were born in Canada you think they could pass as typical Canadians? :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
'Typical Canadians'.... like typical Californians

Most immigrate, not that many born there..... I was, AnnaC has some.
My mother = No ,,,, from Scotland at 3-4 yrs old... my father yes.

Melting pot of sorts - the new world

Gretzky..... now there's a Cdn name !!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What does a typical Canadian look like?

I don't know, but surely not like a Dominicana. She wasn't even born in Canada and she represents the country. Maybe just another senior moment for me...............

all I am saying is this, let's say this chica moved to Japan or China would she be a representation of the people of that land?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
My daughter and granddaughters were born in Canada you think they could pass as typical Canadians? :)

It's not the "Miss Typical" contest. It's a beauty contest and if they are Canadians then they qualify, I'm just saying it would be a better contest overall if the contestants were actually born in the countries they represent, in this case...Canada.

Looks only matter in terms of beauty, grace and poise and if you look up "typical Canadians" you'll come up with something like

Multicultural-Group-of-People-of-Various-Ages-Posters.jpg

or

1342440228857_ORIGINAL.jpg

I mean daam, if the Germans select a Girl born in Germany to represent them whose parents were born in the Congo because they think she's beautiful or Kenya sends an Indian Girl, 4th generation Kenyan why would anyone have a problem with it. It's not a contest to determine who's the most "average" and as we see by the differences in representatives from most countries from year to year, their idea of "Most Beautiful" is fluid and eventually represents the full spectrum of their available talent, given time.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005

Yes, it should be only for the Indian and Eskimo.