Dominican work insurance and what it couvers?

cathy_70

Jul 7, 2010
Hi all,

Not sure if anyones knows , but I was wondering if someone has a job at the airport and has insursance as far as medical ... what that couver for a sick child that has fever and vomiting in the hospital? does it couver tests? and medication ? and can it couver out of the country medical for that person that has the insurance?

if anyone has and insights on this would love to hear it
thanks have a great day

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
The coverage you have is very specific to your policy or your group policy. First is it your coverage? Is the child covered, on the policy? If so then read your coverage,you should have been given some information and or a brochure.

If the child is covered then MOST cover 100%of emergency room visits but may or may not cover meds prescribed. If the child is kept in hospital the room is covered based on the coverage purchased and meds are covered while in the hospital.

IF you are talking about the mandatory government insurance I do not believe it covers this type of problem.

cathy_70

Jul 7, 2010
thank you ...

I am not sure the type of insurance , I know person works as an airport supervisor and is child is on that insurance ... so i was wondering if she is on that plan does it still depend on the plan .... cause wondering if the tests would be couved and the meds if it is a minor infection ... if she is hospitalized the most of the time she is couved di i understand correctly ??

and if it is a country insurance does that mean they no couver anything and need to pay all on his own ??

let me know if you have info
thank you

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I need to ask the question - you don't live here do you? Are you "dating" some guy who is asking you for money because his child is sick????

I guarantee he knows what his coverage is and what his child is covered for.

Government coverage is for Emergency care and accidents only. It likely does not cover what sounds like the flu.

cathy_70

Jul 7, 2010
thank you ...

Do not live there..... yes am dating someone there... and was just inquiring about insurance and how they help kids that are sick and have high fever ... sorry to bother u by posting this .... cause i know what youj are thinking ,..... no did not ask for money .. wonder what it could cost and what i could do if i were to help .... trying to be smart..

thank you

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
If that is the case then you are certainly in the right place to do your research. I will tell you that insurance starts at around 600RD for a group plan per month,not sure what the cost will be for a child to be added to the plan. The MOST expensive I have seen is about 3,400RD per month but that was the cadillac of coverage and very few have that.

Emergency room - usually 100% paid for.

Prescription - if it is a rider on the policy co pay is from 40% to 0. with an annual cap.

Hospitalization - usually a max per day of between 1,000RD to 3,000RD depending on the coverage and meds are covered. Not covered - towels, soap, thermometer and things like this.

My advice even though you did not ask for it - do not offer to pay. This is a new relationship, he managed before you and he will manage in the future. Do not bail him out. He will come to expect it.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
"My advice even though you did not ask for it - do not offer to pay. This is a new relationship, he managed before you and he will manage in the future. Do not bail him out. He will come to expect it."

Even if not explicitly asked for, very good advise. OP is a step ahead by getting information before "helping" a sick relative.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Cathy,
tell the Scumbag to bring "His Child" to the Public Clinic as He always did before You Dated Him. no Bill to be send to You, no Insurance needed to cover anything.
anyways, the Flu Symptoms He could have taken care of, while You seek advice here, with a 100 pesos purchasing the appropriate Vitamins at the Colmado at the next corner.
the above desciped symptoms are a thingy here usually treated at Home, with "Medicine\' found in the backyard or at the Colmado.
if a Doc is needed the public hospital will take care of that.
to be covered for the assistance of the private clinics around less than 1000 pesos per month provide a very good coverage.
Pay the monthly Bill directly to the Insurer, if You send it to "Him" the child will never see a Doc.

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if the kid really is insured you have nothing to worry about - it will cover the costs. fever medicine and hydrating salts are cheap too, if it needs meds from the pharmacy.

cathy_70

Jul 7, 2010
you guys are the greatest .... I am greatful to have people with a this info.... but to give you a little update .... He never asked for any money .... he told me she was sick right after a vistor visa process we did and got refused... and he paid so of the costs with me for the process .. so he had no money left.... AND YES i GOT THE REFUSAL LETTER FROM SDQ EMABASSY.... He was stuck cause works at arpt in samana and his daughter is in SDQ with the mom ... and need the money for bus and some meds not couved.... I freeked cause all happen right after the visa and had not got the fax of the refusal so I was thinking what is he tring to do .... but talked and he said I did not want you to send me money I just wanted to tell you got another diappointment about my daugther and he was scared .... she is still in the clinic.... so i wanted a heads up ... but he does have insurance for her ...

let me know what you think

thanks you guys are amazing
Cathy

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
You are very welcome. Often we are the ones who post the information that the OP does not want to read or understand.

We see so much of what is going on and we call it like we see it. 98% of the time (I am being generous) some woman or some guy is getting scammed!

I hope in your case you are not! Time will tell. In the meantime stay smart by asking questions - lots of them. Keep your spidey senses on high alert. Read everything here you can find! And please listen to the people here who have more experience with this.

We could have saved you some money and grief and told you he would not get a visitors visa! IF he is broke just from paying his share of the fees then he doesn't qualify. Simple.