Dominican Xmas celebrations/food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
This must be the time of the year we Dominicans love the most.

How do we celebrate? What do we eat, drink?

Living in the US, one thing I miss is the puerco asado.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

I miss everything about Christmas, Christmas in the DR is so good, the whole family and friends get together. i miss the food the most, I like to eat Chivo ensendio con moro de guandules, ensalada rusa, pollo asado, pastelon de platano maduro con carne molida, i'm hungry already.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I miss too all the people outside in the street during Christmas, all the dancing, neighbors sharing the differents food that they prepared. It's also a good time to meet people/friends/family that you haven't seen in a long time.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I miss too all the people outside in the street during Christmas, all the dancing, neighbors sharing the differents food that they prepared. It's also a good time to meet people/friends/family that you haven't seen in a long time.

I see it! Can you smell this?
pasteles de hoja

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I see it! Can you smell this?
pasteles de hoja

Unfortunatly, i don't like Pasteles de hoja, so i can't smell it.I will arrive at the DR in January 4, my mother promised me she will cook for me as if she was cooking on DEC, 24.I can't wait to eat those delicious foods that my dear mother know how to cook.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Speaking of puerco asado, why couldn't you do that in the States over a wood or coal fire?

Also, a decent substitute could be barbecued pork but cooked without the seasonings.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Speaking of puerco asado, why couldn't you do that in the States over a wood or coal fire?

Well here in Canada we do but we call it a pig roast and we usually do it on a spit all day at the cottage or in a park in the summer months, not at Christmas time... no volunteers to stay out in the cold all day!

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007

Also, a decent substitute could be barbecued pork but cooked without the seasonings.

That's an idea! I might do that; not the whole pig, of course.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Januaryn 6th: A day for kids, when the three Wise Men (Reyes Magos) leave a gift under the bed of a child -if he/she has behaved, of course.

Has anyone heard of la Vieja Bel?n? This is an old woman who brings presents when the Reyes Magos fail to do so. She comes after January 6th but I am not sure on the exact day.

May 31, 2005
I have heard of la vieja belen. My mother always told us how lucky we were to get our gifts for reyes because she was poor and had to wait for la vieja belen. I don't know the exact day either.

My mother told me that this is something that people made up because they did not have money for the presents on jan 6.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I have heard of la vieja belen. My mother always told us how lucky we were to get our gifts for reyes because she was poor and had to wait for la vieja belen. I don't know the exact day either.

My mother told me that this is something that people made up because they did not have money for the presents on jan 6.

Yes, when parents need more time they tell their kids that Vieja Bel?n will bring the presents. I do remember having to wait for la Vieja Bel?n (no fun). Since she smoked, we would leave a cigar for her.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

In Jarabacoa some people feed the pig wild oregano for 3 weeks or so before butchering. Flafor is in the meat, mmmmmm good.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Speaking of puerco asado, why couldn't you do that in the States over a wood or coal fire?.
I was thinking about that yesterday, all I need is to find a small pig as I have a fire place made of bricks and a lot of wood in the backyard of my house.

JJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.