Dominicana Needs Divorce From Foreigner Left

tgood1

Jan 1, 2005
I forgot to add it was a Divorce for Cause, the quick No Fault Divorce doesn't work if you don't know where they are. Also a bailiff had to go to her last known address to confirm she didn't live there before it got published in the paper. I didn't grease any palms, but I have heard that the lawyer I used does do that (as they all probably do) I'd rather not know.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I got divorced in the DR after my wife took off and I didn't know for sure where she went. My lawyer did divorce by publication, they put it in a paper in Santo Domingo then there was a hearing which she obviously didn't show up to. It took about 6-8 months ( I cant remember exactly) before it was final because it has to be scheduled for a hearing, then there is a waiting period for an appeal after the court date. The lawyer cost me quite a bit, but that is because I am a gringo.

the lawyers are worst than the motto thieves

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
I got divorced in the DR after my wife took off and I didn't know for sure where she went. My lawyer did divorce by publication, they put it in a paper in Santo Domingo then there was a hearing which she obviously didn't show up to. It took about 6-8 months ( I cant remember exactly) before it was final because it has to be scheduled for a hearing, then there is a waiting period for an appeal after the court date. The lawyer cost me quite a bit, but that is because I am a gringo.

"The lawyer cost me quite a bit, but that is because I am a gringo."
Do you want to say that lawyers here bill gringos more than locals? For the same service?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
"The lawyer cost me quite a bit, but that is because I am a gringo."
Do you want to say that lawyers here bill gringos more than locals? For the same service?

not only lawyers and not only gringos. If they think you can afford to pay more they will charge more. With gringos its just more common

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I don't think its that high. My girl says she wants 350 bucks from hubby to pay for all the costs. Still a lot for common person

Maybe that is why he left her - she treated his money like it was tissue paper

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Have to call a spade a spade most people here value money more than god or their own children and will do anything to gain it.. if your a gringo they think your a walking ATM Machine...Furthermore the folks who do have Money want everything for free and think everyone else is below them... once you understand this you can live better if not maybe this island is not for you...

Regards Sir Knight..

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Have to call a spade a spade most people here value money more than god or their own children and will do anything to gain it.. if your a gringo they think your a walking ATM Machine...Furthermore the folks who do have Money want everything for free and think everyone else is below them... once you understand this you can live better if not maybe this island is not for you...

Regards Sir Knight..
Just in a daily conversation count the amount of words “cuarto”, “Dolares”, “pesos” , “jeepeta” you hear.

Kat Reyes

Aug 27, 2013

I am looking to do the same, but I am from NYC. Are you from DR or outside of DR? I have been seeking advice on how to go about this, I don't know where my husband is, just that he left back to DR from NYC. Can you provide more details? Thanks.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
She cannot get a quickie divorce ("divorcio al vapor") because for that she needs her husband's consent. It would have to be a regular divorce, most probably based on "incompatibilidad de caracteres". Her husband will have to be served through the Fiscal (who will send the notice to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which in turn will send it to the Dominican consulate nearest the place abroad where the husband lives). If the she doesn't know her husband's address, then he can be served through a special process for people with no known address. This is not a $350 job. She should beware of a fraudulent divorce with no notice or a false notice to her husband, which might be easily voided later.