Dominicana Needs Divorce From Foreigner Left

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
My friend, a Dominican citizen living in the DR, is married to a foreigner who no longer lives in the DR. The marriage occurred in the DR. She hasn’t seen him in 3 years.

She has since had a baby (less then a year old) with a Dominican man.

Because she is married to the foreigner her cedula says ‘casada’ and the only way she can officially register her baby is by listing her ‘husband’ as the father which she will not do.

She wants to register her baby with the real Dominican father who also wants that.

She needs to get a divorce, Have her cedula say ‘soltera’ and register her baby with the Dominican father listed as the father,

Her husband lives in a different country, He wants her to come back to him but she is through with him. He will not participate in giving her a divorce.

How can she get a divorce?? , and thus have her cedula say ‘soltera’ , so she can register her baby with the real father.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Hang tight, you'll most likely get a legal opinion posted here in a couple days.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
my lady says that in 3 months she can get her divorce and change her cedula. If the husbands signs it is cheaper but it can be done without the husbands signature and incurring more fees.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
She will get a lawyer....I'm just trying to learn what the process is.

No big deal. A simialr situation happened to a friend of mine except in this case he was divorcing a Dominican wife. He had no way to contact her and no idea where should could be found.

He got a lawyer and filed for divorce. Her signature was not required. It took a little longer in this case. Even a divorce by mutual consent will probably take you 3-4 months, depending on how busy the divorce court is.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I think the only big deal about a divorce is the cost. Most Dominicans don't have a few hundred bucks kicking around for legal fees and such. That's the only reason my lady is still married. She is trying to get her husband to pay the costs.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think the only big deal about a divorce is the cost. Most Dominicans don't have a few hundred bucks kicking around for legal fees and such. That's the only reason my lady is still married. She is trying to get her husband to pay the costs.

You're right about that. I think the basic cost for an uncontested divorce is around 40,000 pesos.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
You're right about that. I think the basic cost for an uncontested divorce is around 40,000 pesos.

I don't think its that high. My girl says she wants 350 bucks from hubby to pay for all the costs. Still a lot for common person

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
The one thing I know for sure is Im not paying for it. And Im also not paying for my divorce. If she wants it she can pay for it. I told my girl that I don't care if shes married or not, makes no difference to me. Just not the same situation as the OP comments and question

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The one thing I know for sure is Im not paying for it. And Im also not paying for my divorce. If she wants it she can pay for it. I told my girl that I don't care if shes married or not, makes no difference to me. Just not the same situation as the OP comments and question

When I said "she" in my last post, I was referring to the gal in the OT. It wasn't clear as written.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Because she is married to the foreigner her cedula says ‘casada’ and the only way she can officially register her baby is by listing her ‘husband’ as the father which she will not do.

She wants to register her baby with the real Dominican father who also wants that.

She has to do it (the divorce) otherwise her baby will not have any papers.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
No big deal. A simialr situation happened to a friend of mine except in this case he was divorcing a Dominican wife. He had no way to contact her and no idea where should could be found.

He got a lawyer and filed for divorce. Her signature was not required. It took a little longer in this case. Even a divorce by mutual consent will probably take you 3-4 months, depending on how busy the divorce court is.

Grease the wheel worked for me,especially now xmas time everyone needs money to buy their Mistress xmas gifts

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Grease the wheel worked for me,especially now xmas time everyone needs money to buy their Mistress xmas gifts

If you're really interested in helping the OP here, why don't you post some details of your divorce - what type of divorce, how much did you pay the lawyer, how long did it take, whose palm(s) you greased, and what did it cost you in the end?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
If you're really interested in helping the OP here, why don't you post some details of your divorce - what type of divorce, how much did you pay the lawyer, how long did it take, whose palm(s) you greased, and what did it cost you in the end?

I would never post my personal life online..... people here have to make their own connections......

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I would never post my personal life online..... people here have to make their own connections......

You already did. You posted that you got divorced. None of the things I suggested - what type of divorce, how much did you pay the lawyer, how long did it take, whose palm(s) you greased, and what did it cost you in the end - are "personal" details.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
You already did. You posted that you got divorced. None of the things I suggested - what type of divorce, how much did you pay the lawyer, how long did it take, whose palm(s) you greased, and what did it cost you in the end - are "personal" details.

This is true

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

Merry Xmas Pal ..............

tgood1

Jan 1, 2005
I got divorced in the DR after my wife took off and I didn't know for sure where she went. My lawyer did divorce by publication, they put it in a paper in Santo Domingo then there was a hearing which she obviously didn't show up to. It took about 6-8 months ( I cant remember exactly) before it was final because it has to be scheduled for a hearing, then there is a waiting period for an appeal after the court date. The lawyer cost me quite a bit, but that is because I am a gringo.