Dominicanisms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2004
Well that was fustrating

I was working on filling in the translations of what I wrote above...and when I went to post it, it said I wasn't signed in..and then when I signed in it said something about that I hadn't followed a valid link...and yes none of my pretty red colored translations are there now! Anyone know how if I can get them back? or if I have to write them out again?

If I have to write them again..I will do it later...*fustrated*

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It may be too late but try hitting the back button a few times and you might get to the page you were working on.

Last edited:

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
dominicanism

OK another word my friends always say especially in phone conversations with friends. ...."Ya tu sabes". One of my friends uses it like it's going out of style. What kind of tigere spanish is that!!! Now, I know the true meaning but what is the slangy translation.

Also I was told if you say "es una vaina" it can mean different things. Like if you say " me gusta se vaina" depending on the gender of the person it can mean you like P$%#Y or D!&K. He also told me not to say that.

MG OUT

Last edited:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
Ta heavy (actually spelt "ta jevi")- an expression that Dominicans use meaning like "thats ok, thats cool" pronounced like the word "heavy" in English.

how about Que lo que? or if you are writting on MSN or something it would be k lol k? :D

que lo quento montro? :)
manso, tranquilo

The word "jevi" is derived from the English phrase "heavy duty". Therefore to us anything that is above standard is "jevi". Sometiimes you would hear us say "ese carro esta jevi dury loco". The "ta jevi" phrase is recent and it means "that's ok, that's cool". The pronounciation is more like "he-bee". We do not differentiate between the "b" and the "v", they are pronounced the same.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Stodgord said:
The word "jevi" is derived from the English phrase "heavy duty". Therefore to us anything that is above standard is "jevi". Sometiimes you would hear us say "ese carro esta jevi dury loco". The "ta jevi" phrase is recent and it means "that's ok, that's cool". The pronounciation is more like "he-bee". We do not differentiate between the "b" and the "v", they are pronounced the same.

I agree. I have also heard that the terms "jevito/jevita" are further derivitives of the same. If a person is cool or jevi, they are a jevito.
BTW jevo or jeva are also forms of this that are common.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
When I first got to DR in 1993, the common words for cool were chevere or d'cache. I said those to a teenager a few month ago and he laughed like I was speaking from the stone age. Apperently, the word to say now is "apero". Has anybody else heard this?

DeQueTuPriva

Sep 1, 2004
Stodgord said:

interesting. i never heard this before. is this "common knowledge" or the documented theory of a linguisist?

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
DeQueTuPriva said:
interesting. i never heard this before. is this "common knowledge" or the documented theory of a linguisist?

I am not a linguist what so ever. I just happened to make the connection. When I was a young boy, in the 80's I would hear the phrase "eso esta jevi dury loco" or "esta jevisimo, loco" but now I hear " 'ta jevi".

Hormiga

Jun 25, 2003
Dominican "so and so"

Fulano/a is ok, but my favorite is missi-fu!

Usually to refers to some one you rather not mention by name, who may or may not be within ear-shot, but whom you don't want to get the impression that you are speaking about them. Sometimes also used to imply that the person is being prima-donna'ish/difficult. Can refer to a male or female.

example: Yo queria uno mas costoso, pero missi-fu aqui se oppuso gastar mas.
in English: I wanted a more expensive one, but missi-fu here was opposed to spending more.

I don't know it's origin or even if I'm spelling it right. When I try to break it down it all I come up with is: Miss or Missy + fu [fool or full maybe?] I would like to how it started and if it's one that we can claim as ours (Dominican)?

Vilma [Hormiga]

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Misif?

Misif? is a generic name of endearment used for cats. All cats are 'misif?', including the human ones.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
"Oh, freckome'"

Pronounced with exclamation, "o freck o me".

may be spelled frescome' (?)

I know what it sounds like in english. ;) It has always been used around children and even in church settings, so I know it isn't too naughty. I think means something like "wow".

Has anyone else heard this expression? Can you shed some light.

ssasy

Mar 5, 2006
Pronounced with exclamation, "o freck o me".

may be spelled frescome' (?)

I know what it sounds like in english. ;) It has always been used around children and even in church settings, so I know it isn't too naughty. I think means something like "wow".

Has anyone else heard this expression? Can you shed some light.

I don't know anything about its origins. However, I grew up listening this expression very often. My parents are from Bani and this word is a most in the vocabulary of a banilejo. My grandparents always use it when they are surprised or amazed with something. For example, if they haven't seen your children in a while they would often say "Ofrescome! esos muchachos si 'tan grande." or "Ofrescome vale, tu 'ta perdia." Some people drop the s and just say ofre'come.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Se te sale lo Dominicano ...

Como hablas y Algunas de tus expresiones favoritas son:

"Co?o"

"Anda La Porra"

"Anda El Diablo"

"Anda la mierda?

"Anda pal co?ooo"

"C?jelo"

"El diache"

""Que Vaina"

"D?melo"

"Ta To"

"Y E' F?cil"

"Qu? lo Qu? "

"Ah Po Ta Bien"

"Qu? Tripeo"

"T? si jode"

"T? Cool"

"Ta jevi"

"La creta"

"T? t? pas? "

"No Le D? Mente!"

"C?jelo suave"

"Qu? Bufeo"

"No Te Quille"

"Degraci? o Degraciaiiiita"

"Malv? o Maluca"

"Barbaraza"

"Pariguayo"

"Mira, Cara de fu? "

"Qu? Loquera"

Entonces si eres de la CAPITAL, cambias la R por la L la B por la V y la T por la D

Si eres de SANTIAGO O MOCA... quitas la R y pones la iii y cuando esta la iii la quitas y pones la R...

Le dices al esmalte de u?as CUTE

Le dices al Vick's Vapor Rub... Vivapor?

Le dices a las camisetas... Poloch?

Le dices a los cereales... Confl?

Le dices a los shorts... Shol o shori

Le dices a los gatos Mishu y a los perros Wawauu

Y las camionetas le dices guagua

Cuando est?s en tu pa?s, oyes mucho esto: "se fue la luz!!!!!"

Le dices a una cerveza congelada VESTIDA DE NOVIA O UNA FRIA

Las elecciones, un ciclon o una huelga son motivo de celebracion y tomarse unas vacaciones.

Estas en una guagua de 7 pasajeros y ya son 10 personas adentro y todav?a hay alguien afuera gritando "caben m? !"

C?mo Eres...

La gente te dice que pares de gritar, cuando en realidad est?s hablando

Aplaudes con tus manos cuando te r?es

Puedes bailar y tener swing sin m?sica

Se?alas cosas con tu nariz o tu boca

Te bebes Brugal,Presidente, o Mama Juana como si fuera AGUA

Crees que el Vivapor? lo cura todo

En la bodega compras fiao

C?mo te criaron...

Aprendiste a bailar bachata y merengue antes que caminar

Puedes oler una chuleta concin?ndose en tu casa aunque est?s afuera

Te criaron escuchando m?sica de Fernandito Villalona y/o Sergio Vargas

Cuando chiquito le ten?as miedo a un tal "cuco"

Tambi?n te han hecho poner ropa interior para ir a la playa

Tus pap?s te dieron aceite de bacalao cuando estabas enfermo

Te han ba?ado con jab?n de Cuaba

And I thought I was Dominican.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I don't know anything about its origins. However, I grew up listening this expression very often. My parents are from Bani and this word is a most in the vocabulary of a banilejo. My grandparents always use it when they are surprised or amazed with something. For example, if they haven't seen your children in a while they would often say "Ofrescome! esos muchachos si 'tan grande." or "Ofrescome vale, tu 'ta perdia." Some people drop the s and just say ofre'come.

In addition to that, the surprise could be a positive or a negative one.
Some individuals do say the complete expression which is: "Ofr?scome a la Virgen", "Ofr?scome a Dios", "Ofr?scome a Dios todopoderoso". (I offer myself to the Virgen, to God -at this moment of such great importance.)

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
OK another word my friends always say especially in phone conversations with friends. ...."Ya tu sabes". One of my friends uses it like it's going out of style. What kind of tigere spanish is that!!! Now, I know the true meaning but what is the slangy translation.
MG OUT
Literally: You (already) know!
Don't you use it in English, also? You know what I mean. Of course you know.

You know, . . . the expression used by so many when they are not sure what to say, or what words to use?

Sometimes it means nothing. When someone says that to me, I sarcastically respond: No, I don't know unless you tell me.

Last edited:

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
como tu ta?
jevi,or jevisimo meaning cool, but I have heard El Salvadoreans using "jevi" or "heavy" in a negative sense, like having to go to work when hungover is "jevi".

As for apero, i've heard it pronounce more as upper (english pronounciation), but also uppero, or uperismo.

Status
Not open for further replies.