Dominicans.... and the MLB Draft..(Are they for real)

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
Wow, what great information about America's favorite past time!!! Don't jump all over me here but rather than ranting and raving about how certain people are being used by the MLB system, wouldn't it be more advantageous to come up with an idea outside the box to help the education system in the DR? An idea that would support kids in their quest for the top jobs in MLB? I'm sorry, I've heard about the baseball academies in the DR but I don't know how they operate. Do the academies need money to get their baseball prospects academically fit? Are there any university baseball teams in the DR that kids from the academies could get scholarships for? Maybe some Dominican MLB players could donate a few of their millions for scholarships for Dominican kids so they could go to university??? You guys are obviously very intelligent. I'm just saying instead of bitching about it maybe coming up with some ideas that would help these kids would be more constructive....just a thought.... although I know it's good to take out your frustrations on a keyboard rather than other places!!!:cheeky:

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
or perhaps grumbling and complaining about the situation as you mentioned is what many prefer to do.

Ok, but here's a thought outside the box....Personally I don't think one can blame any one cause for kids from the DR being "used" in MLB. It isn't the fault of the people of DR for voting in bad governments (we don't always know what we're getting until it's in there) nor do I think it's all MLB's fault (they're just taking advantage of a good situation)....So a possible remedy might be to have some of the MLB players from the Dominican Republic come back to DR and lobby the DR government and MLB with "lots of Press" to encourage that money be spent to hire qualified teachers for the baseball academies. It would be good for the DR MLB players to share what difficulties they had when they went into the minor leagues (I would assume there were big time language issues and culture issues) and try to incorporate some of those issues into the teaching curriculum at the baseball academies (can definitely incorporate teaching english!!) Sometimes governments and big corporations need to be "shamed" into it, then they can't really back out.... just a thought...:cheeky:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Minaya Way

Ok, but here's a thought outside the box....Personally I don't think one can blame any one cause for kids from the DR being "used" in MLB. It isn't the fault of the people of DR for voting in bad governments (we don't always know what we're getting until it's in there) nor do I think it's all MLB's fault (they're just taking advantage of a good situation)....So a possible remedy might be to have some of the MLB players from the Dominican Republic come back to DR and lobby the DR government and MLB with "lots of Press" to encourage that money be spent to hire qualified teachers for the baseball academies. It would be good for the DR MLB players to share what difficulties they had when they went into the minor leagues (I would assume there were big time language issues and culture issues) and try to incorporate some of those issues into the teaching curriculum at the baseball academies (can definitely incorporate teaching english!!) Sometimes governments and big corporations need to be "shamed" into it, then they can't really back out.... just a thought...:cheeky:
I appreciate your spirit, but no ballplayer is going to do much to help the greater problem.

However, what the Mets and Omar Minaya are doing by including a more comprehensive English program and skilled trades as "part of the deal" for being in their academy is a positive step in the right direction.

Economics can make it happen, and I think the Mets approach may force other teams to include more in their academies (making them more attractive) to prospective ballplayers.

Depending on the government - or a particular ballplayer - to be the impetus of gaining ground in the development of the product (ballplayers) - on any level - is foolhardy. No silver bullet will solve the grander problem.

The Pedro's, Big Papi's and Vlady's that take care of their barrios is the going way, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If I was a young Dominican kid, and saw what the Mets had to offer, I'd aim that way. Hopefully other teams will go the same route. I, for one, think they are - and will continue to do so.

Omar Minaya may end up being the most important Dominican in baseball - ever!

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
I appreciate your spirit, but no ballplayer is going to do much to help the greater problem.

However, what the Mets and Omar Minaya are doing by including a more comprehensive English program and skilled trades as "part of the deal" for being in their academy is a positive step in the right direction.

Economics can make it happen, and I think the Mets approach may force other teams to include more in their academies (making them more attractive) to prospective ballplayers.

Depending on the government - or a particular ballplayer - to be the impetus of gaining ground in the development of the product (ballplayers) - on any level - is foolhardy. No silver bullet will solve the grander problem.

The Pedro's, Big Papi's and Vlady's that take care of their barrios is the going way, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If I was a young Dominican kid, and saw what the Mets had to offer, I'd aim that way. Hopefully other teams will go the same route. I, for one, think they are - and will continue to do so.

Omar Minaya may end up being the most important Dominican in baseball - ever!

Now we're talking....It's great to hear some success stories for a change!! I'm happy to hear that there's some movement in the right direction and that Omar Minaya and the Mets are willing to take a stand to commit to making things better for others. I think giving back to your community or to any community is what we're put here on earth to do.

Perhaps there are other DR MLB players that could use the same approach that Minaya and the Mets have done to encourage their teams to adopt a similar approach in their academies? (in particular the Red Sox and Mariners who seem to have quite a few DR players).

Teaching english and a trade at the academies will certainly assist the young players in their transitions into MLB but it would be nice to see the same kids having an opportunity to get scholarships to play ball in university somewhere, even if it's not in DR....While changing the education system in the academies does not improve the overall education system in the DR, it's at least a start and as the country becomes more developed it's education, health and other systems will also evolve...

some credit also needs to go to......

Cleef - as you know, Omar and I are friends and I agree that he is doing great things both with the Mets and in the DR, but some real credit for what Omar is doing with the academies needs to go to Rafael Perez. He is the Director of International Player Development for the Mets, and is the former head of the MLB office in Santo Domingo. Rafael was once a young dominican who came to the States to play baseball. He knows the struggles the dominican boys have in the States. He and Omar are the driving forces behind what the Mets are doing at their Academies. To be fair though, there are two other academies in the DR that have been doing the same thing, longer than the Mets. One is the Dodgers, and I can't remember the other one right now.

The Mets also assist players who struggle with english in their minor league system. For example, the Mets paid for 5 players from their AA team in Binghamton, NY to take english classes at a local university in Binghamton this past spring.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Cleef - as you know, Omar and I are friends and I agree that he is doing great things both with the Mets and in the DR, but some real credit for what Omar is doing with the academies needs to go to Rafael Perez. He is the Director of International Player Development for the Mets, and is the former head of the MLB office in Santo Domingo. Rafael was once a young dominican who came to the States to play baseball. He knows the struggles the dominican boys have in the States. He and Omar are the driving forces behind what the Mets are doing at their Academies. To be fair though, there are two other academies in the DR that have been doing the same thing, longer than the Mets. One is the Dodgers, and I can't remember the other one right now.

The Mets also assist players who struggle with english in their minor league system. For example, the Mets paid for 5 players from their AA team in Binghamton, NY to take english classes at a local university in Binghamton this past spring.

Steve

Tell Omar that Sammy can be had for a good price next year, 25 home runs and 100 rbi's for 500,000k and a new attitude. :) (e' pa' 700 que nos vamos!!!!)

Also, what is Sammy doing currently for the DR? I would like to set up a meeting with him to discuss this - thanks! :cheeky:

Hi Chip. How have you been?

Re: Sammy - I will admit that I was one of those who thought you were crazy when you said Sammy would have a decent year. My hat is off to you...and Sammy. I'm sure I don't have to tell Omar anything about Sammy or anyone else in MLB. Omar does a great job of "being in the know".

Re: Sammy and the DR - as far as I know, he isn't doing anything in the DR. His Foundation ceased to exist several years ago. I'm assuming you were asking what Sammy is doing for the less fortunate in the DR. If so, I believe the answer is - nothing. Unfortunately, he is like most of the dominican players who do very little/nothing for those in need in the DR. I know someone will probaly tell me I'm wrong about that, because there are several players who do help in the DR (Ortiz, Pedro, Pujols, etc) but the vast majority of dominicans in MLB have forgotten where they came from.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Steve

I'm doing fine thanks. It is truly a shame that the players don't get involved but this is really inherent to the issue most wealty Dominicans have with respect to the Patria - they would rather leave or worse, stay and ignore the need for change and focus on their own personal advancement even though by all accounts they lack little. Que pena, carumba.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
The good news about MLB and the academies striving to do more for their players is more than I expected. I did read the entire thread before I put in my "two cents worth" but the explanation on what some of the academies are actually doing is great. I'll bet that others out there reading this thread did not know that bit of information either. It's also nice to recognize people who are putting forth an effort to make a difference. It's very admirable that they choose to make a difference, especially when they have the means and the power to do so. It is a shame that some people who become successful forget where they come from but it doesn't just happen in MLB. Look at players in the NBA/NFL. You don't hear much about them setting up things for kids in their home communities either. I suppose if you don't have any idea how to solve the problems in your community, it's probably just easier to throw money at it and hope it works itself out. I'm glad my two cents worth sort of did what I was hoping, which was to get people talking in a more positive light....keep it up!!! I know that nothing is impossible, it's just getting the right people and the right resources together to make it happen!!! :cheeky::cheeky:

Great post Chip - you put it very well. Like you, I know many wealthy Dominicans, and to a fault, they just can't understand why my wife would travel from the US to help the poor in the DR.

gambler - Great job! Keep up the good work!

Something else I thought of - in fairness to everyone, it should be stated that there are athletes (MLB, NFL, NBA, etc) who do help those in need, but do it anonymously, without fanfare, photo-ops, etc.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
It is a shame that some people who become successful forget where they come from but it doesn't just happen in MLB. Look at players in the NBA/NFL.

are you referring to foreign players ?

hmendez

Jul 24, 2006
What is being done to create more opportunity!

Ladies and Gentleman:

I had a chance to review the entire thread regarding academies in the DR. Pro's and con's can be found to everything that is done or not done in respect to baseball and education in the DR. Our good friend Steve and several others in this forum can vouch for the need to create opportunities for these gifted kids! That is why we at the Dominican Republic Sports and Education Academy (DRSEA) are doing everything in our power to see to it that we build and operate this facility! We have posted a couple of stories about the mission of the academy and our efforts to get it off the ground! We feel that creating an environment where education is valued just as much as athletic prowess will be the ticket to preparing these kids for the realities of professional sports! That reality being that most of them will never set foot on a professional diamond in the US! We know that our mission will not be an easy one to accomplish, but with the support of all of you it will happen! Please continue to visit our website at Welcome/ Bienvenido and do not hesitate to reach out to us with any questions and concerns!

Sincerely,
Harold Y. Mendez
Co-Founder, DRSEA