Dominicans and their ancestry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matos

Feb 23, 2005
oohhhh

Matos said:
People like nalowh or whatever her name is,,,have an inferior complex....A lot of dominicans do and that is why they decide to marginalize or not even regonize their african blood.....Anyhow,,,,I like your point of view and in fact no matter how many source or proof or even if god comes down from heaven and tells dominican where they originated from.....They will some how get a few bootleg sources from the internet and disagree with anybody....So we just have to keep on teaching our kids the truth and maybe someday in the near future,, we wouldn't have so many dark skin dudes in our island trying to marry light skin girls to whitten up the race,,,anyway i have more significant things to do than to talk about race....shoot,,race shouldn't matter anyway.........peace and keep doing your thing buddy
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Let us DEBATE in a civilzed way!!!

Two years ago I took a class in College called History of the Caribbean (HIS345). My professor was a well educated man born in Canada to Trinidadian and Haitian parents. We read and wrote on all the nations of the West Indies, and their history. Including slavery, sugar, and the revolutions (did you know that Haiti is the only sucessfull slave revolt resulting in the production of a nation)I wrote my final paper on Haitian-American Relations: Abuse of Haitians in the DR (no I'm not one of those who want the nation to unite-just that the abuse must stop).
Anyways, much of what Nal0whs says in his posts are facts. I have read these on many occasions, even out of that class. I particularly remember in class we did a couple of days on slavery per colony. And no, the Sp., Fr., and Pg. did not mistreat their slaves. In fact at one point, Port-au-prince was the hub of the americas. The Fr. dressed their slaves in the finest, all that was worn at the home land the slaves wore. The slaves all knew how o read and write. The only ones who treated their slaves like animals were the Eng., especially in the soon to be US colonies.

We cannot denie our heritaage. When asked what nationality are you what do you say? I don't know about you but, I say Dominican. I don't ramble on about "well I was born in DR but my ancestors are Taino, African, blah blah blah. Usually people will say "oh you don't look Dominican" (i'm white with blond hair/ maybe your so black your purple). My response is that Dominicans come in many colors. We are a mix of many colors and cultures. i'm not going to say my family is of French descendant, or the pulple person say I'm of Haitian descendant.

That's enough people----we are what dog owners call a mutt.
Skinwise we are: black, white, mulatto, mestizo, or native american and then some mor mixing of those which bring out features that don't go with the face (this is without the textbook definition: blk.+wht.=mul, wht.+na=mestizo and so on)

**sorry, but i'm not the best at expressing my self in writing. ;)

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Dont forget the slaves

The caribbean was a "hub" for slaves being brought to North America from Africa. This is a huge factor in the "negro" Dominican population. There is a good chance that your ancestory has "black" Dominican influence.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
I was born in DR and came to the US when I was twelve. Living in DR until that age, I didn't even know what the word racist meant until I came to the US. In the US I saw whites grouping with whites, and blacks grouping with blacks. Believe me I received rejection and racist remarks from these groups. Black Americans were more outspoken about their remarks. Later in life as I learned more english and understood the american culture a little better I was able to befriend members of both groups. Overall, I think culture has a lot to do on how racism is implemented. I cannot say I am black because I don't possess the culture of Black American and I cannot defitely call myself white because color and cultural wise I am not white. I prefer to identify myself to non-hispanics as hispanics instead of Dominican because after living 20 years in the US I feel that I am a part of the new culture that has been created by Latin American immigrating to the US.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hi Stodgord,
A few things...Of course you didn't know what racism was in DR because you were twelve. It's a very subtle phenomenon. However, if you, now older, were looking for a job...you might get a job decription that looked like this (if you were a female):

ERES BACHILLER, delgada, color claro, buena presencia, referencia, de 18 a 40 a?os. Persona mayor sola, necesita asistente y compa??a en su tienda y residencia. RD$5,000, comida, dormida, veh?culo, etc. Inf. xxx-xxxx, xxx-xxxx.

Sometimes it is not even said. It is just "understood."

As for your sentiment, I understand were you are coming from and can agree in terms of culture and ethnicity, but not in terms of race. Race is what you write down when you fill out the census or other offical paperwork. Dominicans in their eyes, surpress their blackness unless it is unavoidable and even then it's pretty funny to hear the euphemisms used for self-identification: negra india, india, morena clara, jaba, etc....all to avoid saying what we all can see....a person of color. It is my sense that this continued sense of denial does affect us politically in the US, as such, our poor neighborhoods are suffering from lack of proper service delivery and we are too busy kissing arse to notice.

IMHO, the issue of not acknowledging or surpressing our racial make-up comes at too high of a cost.

DR can progess as it pleases in this area. Personally, if I lived in DR I would take PIB's political position...I would refused to be limited. However, for those Dominicans (and subsequent generations of Dominican-Americans) who choose to come to the US and live, need to recognize they are not in Kansas anymore.

D
Stodgord said:
I was born in DR and came to the US when I was twelve. Living in DR until that age, I didn't even know what the word racist meant until I came to the US. In the US I saw whites grouping with whites, and blacks grouping with blacks. Believe me I received rejection and racist remarks from these groups. Black Americans were more outspoken about their remarks. Later in life as I learned more english and understood the american culture a little better I was able to befriend members of both groups. Overall, I think culture has a lot to do on how racism is implemented. I cannot say I am black because I don't possess the culture of Black American and I cannot defitely call myself white because color and cultural wise I am not white. I prefer to identify myself to non-hispanics as hispanics instead of Dominican because after living 20 years in the US I feel that I am a part of the new culture that has been created by Latin American immigrating to the US.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
deelt said:
Hi Stodgord,
ERES BACHILLER, delgada, color claro, buena presencia, referencia, de 18 a 40 a?os. Persona mayor sola, necesita asistente y compa??a en su tienda y residencia. RD$5,000, comida, dormida, veh?culo, etc. Inf. xxx-xxxx, xxx-xxxx.
D
I hate to call you on this, but I have been in the job market since 1991, both employing people as well as looking for jobs. "Buena presencia" is generally understood to mean that you know how to dress to the occassion and that you are not a slob*. I have yet to see ONE time an ad say anything about skin colour. I am open to cites to the contrary.

Age discrimination? Out and in the open though.

*I am sure some people might discriminate against people of colour once they show up for the interview, but I have never seen that openly.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hey PIB

Sorry to disappoint you Pib. The job posting I put up WAS in fact posted in a newspaper in DR and online. An old DR1 poster sent it to me in his job search. I just deleted the phone number and replaced it with Xs. It's an actual ad from about 1.5-2 months ago. I can PM it to you if you'd like.

Having "buena presencia" is not an issue with me. That was not the clause I bolded.

Yes, age discrimination does happen, but that's another battle and another thread. I think this situation is also scandalous given the % of single mothers in DR receiving no financial support. I really don't see a need to attach your pic with a CV. Hiring should be merit-based.

Best,
D
Pib said:
I hate to call you on this, but I have been in the job market since 1991, both employing people as well as looking for jobs. "Buena presencia" is generally understood to mean that you know how to dress to the occassion and that you are not a slob*. I have yet to see ONE time an ad say anything about skin colour. I am open to cites to the contrary.

Age discrimination? Out and in the open though.

*I am sure some people might discriminate against people of colour once they show up for the interview, but I have never seen that openly.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
deelt said:
Hey PIB

Sorry to disappoint you Pib. The job posting I put up WAS in fact posted in a newspaper in DR and online. An old DR1 poster sent it to me in his job search. I just deleted the phone number and replaced it with Xs. It's an actual ad from about 1.5-2 months ago. I can PM it to you if you'd like.

Having "buena presencia" is not an issue with me. That was not the clause I bolded.

Yes, age discrimination does happen, but that's another battle and another thread. I think this situation is also scandalous given the % of single mothers in DR receiving no financial support. I really don't see a need to attach your pic with a CV. Hiring should be merit-based.

Best,
D
We are not in extreme disagreement here. I do agree that there is a pernicious precense of racism in all social scales here. Sometimes it also works as 'reverse racism' and even xenophobia. However, I have to admit that although I have seen racism with my own two eyes I have yet to be a victim of it, at least I never noticed (admitting here that my experience does not constitute data). That one example that you found is, at least to me the shining example of the Law of Exceptions to the Rules.

There are many real-life, frequent, daily examples to be waved, I am unsure that ad is one of them. Of course you are free to disagree.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Yup!
I also think that you have not been a victim because of how you project yourself. In DR, that gives you some extra mileage to run up in neutral; especially, if the palatibility of your complexion is "tres dominicaine"...if you understand my French.
;) :)
D

Pib said:
We are not in extreme disagreement here.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
deelt said:
Yup!
I also think that you have not been a victim because of how you project yourself. In DR, that gives you some extra mileage to run up in neutral; especially, if the palatibility of your complexion is "tres dominicaine"...if you understand my French.
;) :)
D
In all honesty Deelt, I think you search too hard for these types of things.

You know what they say, if you search hard for something, You'll find it even when its not there.

I'm not denying racism here, it probably exist to a certain degree. Let's face it, we are a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, pretty much a multi-everything country.

However, for such a diverse country, it sure is quiet. There are other places in this world where two types of people are creating civil wars because of the "differences". Now that is what I call real racism, the Tutsi and the rest of Congolese in former Zaire (I believe that's where this is taking place) really are hammering each other.

BTW, do you remember what the ad you quoted was for? For what position? For what company?

-Just wondering. :glasses:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Interesting ad.

deelt said:

not in Kansas anymore. please most NYers cant find it on a map.

D

This is an interesting ad. Seen the exact same one the other day on another site. Posted by a DominicanAzuca This was a Pan African site that seems dedicated to explaining to all peoples of african descent no matter their color,or country, of just how black they are.

Would not happen to know which site I mean do you Deelt?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Chronic social problem...

Deelt,

You know I always like to lend support and I admire the way you face this polemic issue time and time again on the board.

I truly believe institutionalized racism which is the kind of racism that is prevalent in the DR is the most difficult to eradicate. Whether evidenced by the ad you posted or in many other subtle forms the truth is it is still a chronic social problem that stems from the top (i.e. the Dominican elite) and effects all levels of society. Some will insist that racism does not exist if they are not a victim of it, which is a huge part of the problem. For change to take place there acknowledgement of the problem is imperative and without it, it will persist. At present those who are oppressed don't have the education or (political) power to initiate change. To those who it favors they will continue to downplay it, after all why change the status quo. The only immediate change I foresee in the DR is individual progression by those who are willing to take a stance instead of fostering the inculcated beliefs (via denial) that have been instilled by the likes of Trujillo & Co. I will take a page from your book "the DR can progress as it pleases in this area" but I think it's about time many realize that this is a social problem that continues to oppress most of those who refuse to acknowledge it. I personally have a different agenda.

-Lesley D-

deelt said:

DR can progess as it pleases in this area. Personally, if I lived in DR I would take PIB's political position...I would refused to be limited.
D

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Thanks for the link...

Juancarlos,

Thanks for the link. I read this website regularly as you know. Since you and I both read the works of Carlos Alberto Montaner if you go his website as referenced in my post #53, you will be able to access one of his books that I think defines this chronic social problem very well in Latin America collectively. If you ever choose to read at least one chapter I suggest you read "los negros en una sociedad tenazmente racista". We have had great discussions behind the scenes and I would love to hear your thoughts on this one.

As well, having spent time in other Latin America countries such as Colombia, Panama and Puerto Rico I could confirm that Carlos Alberto Montaner once again has hit the nail on the head.

-Lesley D-

juancarlos said:
While the following link is not about DR, it is about racism in another Caribbean island and how it is manifested in the employment practices of one of that country's key economic sectors:

http://www.cubaencuentro.com/sociedad/20050303/eaaa77d7882bfa58911102c1c5dc6b2e/1.html

Last edited:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hey BeinAmor,

Actually, I was looking for that site. If you could PM me the link I would appreciate it. Some one refered me to it, but I have been unable to find it.
Thanks in advance.
D

bienamor said:
This is an interesting ad. Seen the exact same one the other day on another site. Posted by a DominicanAzuca This was a Pan African site that seems dedicated to explaining to all peoples of african descent no matter their color,or country, of just how black they are.

Would not happen to know which site I mean do you Deelt?

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
That sense of quiet acceptance of people inculcated to believe that they are less than is the easiest way to maintain status quo. DR has done it right...peacefully.

First we are on a site about DR. If I wanted to talk about Rwanda, Congo, or Zaire I would have posted my comment elsewhere. What occured in Rwanda is not racism. It's ethnic strife, founded by the Catholic church...so let's not even go there.

On the Ad...Why do you ask? Do you want to apply to be some woman's servant? I thought you owned a corporation...how many people of color do you have in the high ranks? I would assume that your 100% pure white family members are the only ones allowed to run the show. No matter, if you need a job (probably because you spend too much time posting on DR1), just get a newspaper. I am sure it won't be difficult to find a job for you. With your 100% pure white complexion and your superiority complex, you are 95% of the way there.

:) :glasses: ;)
D

Nal0whs said:
However, for such a diverse country, it sure is quiet. There are other places in this world where two types of people are creating civil wars because of the "differences". Now that is what I call real racism, the Tutsi and the rest of Congolese in former Zaire (I believe that's where this is taking place) really are hammering each other.

BTW, do you remember what the ad you quoted was for? For what position? For what company?

-Just wondering. :glasses:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
First we are on a site about DR. If I wanted to talk about Rwanda, Congo, or Zaire I would have posted my comment elsewhere. What occured in Rwanda is not racism. It's ethnic strife, founded by the Catholic church...so let's not even go there.
Well, you know what I meant by my comment.

In case you didn't, then its was this, if you want to see such problem in its most purest form, by all means check in many places and compare to DR.

As far as I'm concerned, the cleansing of another type of person is racism. It's all in the "dislike" department.

On the Ad...Why do you ask? Do you want to apply to be some woman's servant? I thought you owned a corporation...how many people of color do you have in the high ranks? I would assume that your 100% pure white family members are the only ones allowed to run the show. No matter, if you need a job (probably because you spend too much time posting on DR1), just get a newspaper. I am sure it won't be difficult to find a job for you. With your 100% pure white complexion and your superiority complex, you are 95% of the way there.
I was asking in all sincerity.

Anyhow, I just wanted to verify the ad myself, simply because usually there is only one or two ads with such comments and twenty ads where they make no regards to physical appearance beyond buena presencia.

And guess what, I'm not the biggest fan of nepotism and the last time I checked, my vice president of finance is an indio oscuro or in your terminology, black; despite his mother being very light skin.
-Nal0whs

Last edited:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Lesley D said:
Juancarlos,

Thanks for the link. I read this website regularly as you know. Since you and I both read the works of Carlos Alberto Montaner if you go his website as referenced in my post #53, you will be able to access one of his books that I think defines this chronic social problem very well in Latin America collectively. If you ever choose to read at least one chapter I suggest you read "los negros en una sociedad tenazmente racista". We have had great discussions behind the scenes and I would love to hear your thoughts on this one.

As well, having spent time in other Latin America countries such as Colombia, Panama and Puerto Rico I could confirm that Carlos Alberto Montaner once again has hit the nail on the head.

-Lesley D-

Lesley, thank you for reminding me of CAM's website. I found it and I read the chapter you suggested. Good information there.

DulcineaToboso

Feb 24, 2005
Nal0whs said:
I have realized that, I have American business friends and have studied various aspect of American culture.

The way Americans interpret race is wrong and quite frankly, they are the only one's who interpret it in exclusively white/black terms.

No they are not...where do you live? Have you spoken to people from other black countries? Americans are not the only ones fixated on race.

That is an incorrect assumption of yours. This is not an assumption...read carefully...this was my "e-x-p-e-r-i-e-n-c-e.

I have been to several European countries and spent quite some time in them, I have visited Kenya only once, but have also done research on several African countries including South Africa (where they recognize mulattos as being separate from black, and this is a severely racist country we are talking about). I have traveled to many Latin countries and of course to the US and let me tell, the US is the only place that looks at people and defines them as white or black.

Please, do more research into this because its obvious you are not aware of the cultural exclusion the US has when it comes to racial recognition and the rest of the world. Ja Ja Ja...I live in the US...and have taken courses in ethnic studies...which were not only focused on black and white issues...so Ja ja ja...I think you need to go do some serious research...stop mentioning the places you have travelled...I could travel around the world...and if I am ignorant and closed...travel is not going to fix that.

This is the result of the abuse and opression mulattos have in the US. Most mulattos in the US don't even know what that word means!

They have been told by the whites that they are black in order to keep the white culture "purely white" and they have been told by the real blacks that mulattos are black in order to have more political power against the whites.

Mulattos have been lied to time and again. Of course, its easy for a real white or a real black to tell a mulatto to only embrace a part of who such person is. But notice, would you ever deny one of your parents? Why not? Because in doing so you are denying a part of who you are.

Well, let mulattos identify as that which they are, I don't understand (beyond the political power deal) why blacks in particular feel threatened whenever mulattos want some recognition.

Besides, mulattos are recognized in every country in the world, except the USA.

Oh so now you want to separate the mulattos from the other races?!...what are you talking about? I don't even feel like responding anymore because you are all over the place. Try to argue one point at a time.

You probably live in the US. Ever heard the term when in Rome do what the Romans do.

Well, if a European moves to the US and sees the racist mentality towards race in that country, he tries to tell the Americans that they should not do such thing, but guess what, you are in American turf and you will be outnumbered by those saying that looking at the world in black/white is right when its not.

What will you do? The samething these European whites who live in the US are doing, they will see you as black because in the US that is the case, but that is not the case in the rest of the world and only by traveling around will you recognize this.

Have you ever tried to comb kinky hair? It's pretty hard compared to straight hair. Gee, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to say that kinky hair is bad hair, why? Because its a battle to comb it!

How do you know this? Didn't you mention that you were white? Have you ever combed kinky hair? It is only "hard" to comb when you are trying to style it into a "white" hairstyle...when you leave it in it's natural condition it is quite easy to manage.

The word Negro has a similar conotation to the word Nigger (excuse me for using it) it has in the US.

Among blacks, the N word is perfectly fine, but let a white person say it jokingly to a black person and all hell breaks loose.

Even the word Negro is not considered to flattering in the US! It has to be black or African-American. Why would it be any different in the DR.

Umm..."Nigger" is not similar to "Negro"(in Spanish)...Nigger is more comparable to prieto or cocolo. Negro (in Spanish) is Black in English, and no black person gets offended here in the US when they are referred to as black.

BTW, the good hair and bad hair thing also exist among the black Americans and black Americans do praise a bit more the lighter ones than the darker ones. Have a good conversation with a black American about this subject and you will be enlightened by what you will hear and learn. I wish I could understand this sentence.

I am one of the "Blancos" and I don't go around saying what I am because its obvious. The exception comes in these boards for identification sake.

QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.