Dominicans are poor, but

donP

Dec 14, 2008
A Watery Statement

All I am trying to say is that the influx of ex-pats and tourists have had some bad effects. That is all. But many people either do not understand that or refuse to accept that a concentration of ex-pats can bring problems. I am asking that there is an acceptance of responsibility for the bad as well as the good.

Now, to me that sounds a lot different... :paranoid:

And with that statement I do not have a problem at all.
Alas, it only says something like water is wet. ;)

donP

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Agreed:confused: The people of the barrio are utterly unable to adjust to a better class of living, and dragging them out of the gutter takes ghem out of thier comfort zone and they just need to get back. They do mostly want out, but then can't handle it.
When they move up a class they have to move themselves up in class, and for the most part are too dumb to figure out logic. No, you don't hang the laundry all over the front of the property. Yes you will be screamed at if you look in a draw, and choose a knife over a can opener to get into a can. Yes I'll be mad if you slice up the kitchen top while slicing up salami rather than using the chopping block right infront of you. Yes you are dumb if rather than plugging the iron in close to the ironing board, you charge the iron up, unplug it, run to the table yo iron while it is still hot, then run back again the plug it in a reheat for another go. No there is no need to store the closes inside out to avoid getting dirty anymore. Obviously it would be more considerate if you didn't walk two corners down go the colmado, wearing seethrough pajamas, with a pushy up 4 sizes too small bra, sandles 6 sizes too big to buy 5pesos of washing powder. All barrio mentality, and there's so much more stupid sh1t.

This is too much for the average Dominican mind to take, they hate being wrong, corrected or educated and is the prime reason they fail to better themselves and surroundings. They love thier music, the music refers to the love of thier barrios, and they are often proud to come from the gutter, just because it is easier than bettering themselves.

You made this one up, right? surely on one can be that ignant.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Say what, say what!!!!!! She just couldnt eat that horrible food in her new residence? She had to lose all her connections to a better life and return "to da gue-to!" just to eat salamis? She just couldnt buy the plato del dia at the luncheonette in La Sirena?

Wait, you guys are the one who criticize your type of girls for not eating "fancy stuff", not trying new foods and wanting go on eating the same local things. Now don't change it up and tell me it's a sacrifice for them to eat mang? again. Plus, Gorgon's cleaning lady's daughter gets a gringo to furnish her apartment and she gets a compra at the supermarket, of course she's gonna get plantains.....for mang?. Oh wait, she's buying lobster and caviar. WOW! You are so wise!!!!:cool:

Apr 7, 2014
Wait, you guys are the one who criticize your type of girls for not eating "fancy stuff", not trying new foods and wanting go on eating the same local things. Now don't change it up and tell me it's a sacrifice for them to eat mang? again. Plus, Gorgon's cleaning lady's daughter gets a gringo to furnish her apartment and she gets a compra at the supermarket, of course she's gonna get plantains.....for mang?. Oh wait, she's buying lobster and caviar. WOW! You are so wise!!!!:cool:

I didnt read that. I read a sloppy teenage girl got her a guy to subsidize her
Life and ruined it by being too unwilling to rise to the new standard of her new living situation.

She doesnt appreciate Senor Gringos effort and blammo! She gets dispatched back to the ghetto. Thats what I read.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Now, to me that sounds a lot different... :paranoid:

And with that statement I do not have a problem at all.
Alas, it only says something like water is wet. ;)

donP

Exactly, that's what I've been saying all along. So why did everyone get so hot under the collar about it?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
One more question gorgon do you RENT or OWN you home in PP??? If you spent an ENTIRE lifetime to rent a home on the north coast of the DR. You took a wrong turn in life.

At your age and the fact you had a decent job in NYC you should at least OWN something in Jamaica. How is you do not own anything in the USA or Jamaica and rent in Puerto Plata DR????

I really HOPE I am wrong and you do own you home in Puerto Plata because if you don't you are no better then people from the barrio they RENT also but they have a good reason.

Man I would jump in a volcano in Costa Rica before I am in my 60's and renting and making someone else rich in DR off me.

JMB, let me start off by passing on some understandings to you. first of all, i am a much older man than you are. what that means is that by sheer force of longevity, i know a whole lot more about life than you do. i have seen more, done more, and thought more than you have. since you see it necessary to question what i own, or what i should have owned, here is the information. i moved back to NY permanently in 1979, and bought my house in Elmont , Long Island in 1981. no renting, like you. i bought all the cars i ever owned, unlike you who live by the lease principle. when my kids graduated college, and started their families, i sold my house in the Bronx, and split the money with my kids. now i have two sons with houses that are fully paid off, with no mortgage, and my grandchildren are set for life, because both their dads have Masters Degrees that i helped pay for. at my stage of life, i rent apartments. i have no interest in buying a house without anyone to give it to. my kids want no part of a house in the DR, or the hassles to sell it and get the money out.

for a shallow guy who leases cars for show, you should be careful how you lecture a 65 year old man who has chosen his own route in life. you fret over objects that tell the time. i prefer things that make music.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
i prefer things that make music.

Music is the answer...............................

Colonel Abrams cue video!!!! lol

Seriously, let's get back with the flow of things.

You two are rich in comparison to some Dominicans!!!!!!!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't think so gorgon. If you really and I mean really enjoy you wouldn't post some of the things you stated in this thread. You are the "son of he caribbean" as you say but IMO you post as if you are from Europe. You of all people should be bending over backwards to defend some of the people from poor areas in DR.

Do you believe poor Dominicans in DR are not face with the same issues poor Jamaicans are face with in Jamaica???? Plenty of Jamaican women have BF's outside of Jamaica and they are taken care of as well.

How many Dominicans go to work everyday and still struggle 24/7??? When I used to catch the guagua on San Isidro every morning the buses would be filled from front to back and where do you think all of these Dominicans are going??? To find a gringo or gringa????? You should know better then anyone on this board that you can work you ass of in the Caribbean and still be labeled as poor or lazy because of the perception people have about certain barrios.

A man or woman can be rich an many ways.

Rich with money
Rich with friends
Rich with family

The Dominican Republic is set up so majority of their citizens will struggle. If large number of your workforce are being paid SLAVE WAGES and a box of cereal is DOUBLE what a person in Edina Minnesota would ever pay WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?????

The only reason why you looked down on the people from the barrio is because you were once the people you choose to look down on. If you did not ever step foot in the USA where would you be right now????????? How much money would you have made in a lifetime if you NEVER left Jamaica?????

JMB, i was away from the forum for a while, so let me catch up on some of your questions.

you ask how much money i would have made. it depends on what i chose to do.

as is the rule in the caribbean, or any country for that matter, it is who you know, and what connections you have, that determine your path in life. my father was a two time minister of government in Jamaica. my cousin was a Prime Minister, and so was his son. at 24 years old i was a special assistant to the Prime Minister of Jamaica, after turning down the offer to be Charges D Affairs to Canada. that is just starters. you are not talking to one of your buddies who sits in front of a tv adoring Beyonce.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Music is the answer...............................

Colonel Abrams cue video!!!! lol

Seriously, let's get back with the flow of things.

You two are rich in comparison to some Dominicans!!!!!!!!!

actually, i have no idea what brought on this personal assault. i took a three day hiatus, and this guy goes metric on me.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Ok I dont want to generalize here but this is what I notice many times and dont really understand.

Many dominicans are poor but when I go to dominican friends of my girl friend's family, I notice that:
. when there is 5 poeple to eat they cook for 10 and the rest goes to trash. Dont tell me its untrue, 2 days ago I was in a dominican kitchen, half the rice left went to trash.
. when they do the dishwashing, half the soap goes to the sink when I (we) use a small amount.

Im just amazed how much food and stuff go to trash every day...
:)

This is an interesting thread and, IMO, should not be closed.

Shall we dance...........................

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
JMB, I see where you're coming from, but this thread is not about the gorgon OR Jamaica. Take it to PM if you want to continue in that vein.

Thanks.

I'm NOT going to repeat this a 3rd time. If either of you posts to the other in this thread again, you'll be banned.

PS. Bronxboy is right, we don't want to close this, it's a good thread!

Apr 7, 2014
actually, i have no idea what brought on this personal assault. i took a three day hiatus, and this guy goes metric on me.
Internet, I wish I could quit you for 3 days. But when the moon is full I'd like to rope you up brokeback mountain style, Internet and do it to you like Cousin Cletus and his charming sheeps

Heres a question though: why the lack of collective long term planning? Why the incessant something for nothing debacles?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Internet, I wish I could quit you for 3 days. But when the moon is full I'd like to rope you up brokeback mountain style, Internet and do it to you like Cousin Cletus and his charming sheeps

Heres a question though: why the lack of collective long term planning? Why the incessant something for nothing debacles?

my buddy has a link to some underground gangsta guy in Queens, NY, who is bringing in some replica handbags to the US. he can get a good price on some primo stuff, and some good money is there to be made. so, he needs a woman here to front the thing, being a foreigner and all. so, he has tried to recruit a salesgirl to help doing the legwork, but he is disillusioned by the fact that the girls have no interest in anything beyond which ones they want, and how much they can get them for. their money from the job has already been spent even before they have sold their first copy of the merchandise.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
my buddy has a link to some underground gangsta guy in Queens, NY, who is bringing in some replica handbags to the US. he can get a good price on some primo stuff, and some good money is there to be made. so, he needs a woman here to front the thing, being a foreigner and all. so, he has tried to recruit a salesgirl to help doing the legwork, but he is disillusioned by the fact that the girls have no interest in anything beyond which ones they want, and how much they can get them for. their money from the job has already been spent even before they have sold their first copy of the merchandise.

Tell your friend that everyone will want theirs on credit. :(

Of course, you probably know that already.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Tell your friend that everyone will want theirs on credit. :(

Of course, you probably know that already.

i have a buddy in NYC who has a shoe store in the Empire State Building. we became fast friends in the early 2000s, and he used to sell me his closeout Brazilian leather shoes. beautiful styles, like all Brazilian shoes. everyone wanted the shoes, but nobody wanted to pay cash up front. they all wanted to give you a downpayment, and pay instalments. then, when the heel broke off, there went the urge to finish paying. i stopped selling shoes.