Dominicans: Are they pathologically inconsiderate?

C

Chip00

is that what you want to say???? my goodness you people are starting to "enfogonarme".... you translate that word. I'm sickened by all of your little or long analysis as to why Dominicans are the way they are. I mean this island has gone through so much, in the past centuries, that it is a miracle that its come this far, if you compare it to other islands, I think we've done pretty damn good and we are improving every single day.

MAR - no offense but I believe pkaide was being "sarcastic" and does not propose changing things here as such.

I agree with you that things aren't so bad here in many respects. Heck, even the driving doesn't bother me at the least anymore. I do regret that one can't "andar con una fria" but hopefully that "push" will fade away.

Also, I like the fact that Dominicans are very social and friendly and always have a good time striking up a conversation with strangers and talking with my neighbors and acquantainces at the local colmado. It really makes one feel as part of a family. Of course some naysayers (not in this thread) tell me some BS like that the only reason Domincans like me is because I'm a gringo but I don't buy it because generally that's just how Dominicans are - very friendly on the most part.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
is that what you want to say???? my goodness you people are starting to "enfogonarme".... you translate that word. I'm sickened by all of your little or long analysis as to why Dominicans are the way they are. I mean this island has gone through so much, in the past centuries, that it is a miracle that its come this far, if you compare it to other islands, I think we've done pretty damn good and we are improving every single day.

Hey M.A.R, my apology, I am sorry if you miss understood my sarcasm in my comment. It is very sad that a lot of people are trying to put this beautiful country and its people down. :cheeky:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I mean this island has gone through so much, in the past centuries, that it is a miracle that its come this far, if you compare it to other islands, I think we've done pretty damn good and we are improving every single day.

I'll second that! The Dominican people have suffered exploitation for around 500 years and still they come up smiling. Now if you could bottle that type of resilience and sell it you'd make a fortune.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Amen!!! :cool:

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For Chiri, Lambada, Rick and company....

No Chiri, I was not angry when I posted that or any other response here. I was a bit confused why someone would ask for input on whether or not what she witnessed in Santo Domingo happens elsewhere and then after one person takes up her offer she goes into a debate!:rolleyes:

Other than that, I'm fine.

I do have to ask one question for all of you to answer:

WHY IS IT A LAW TO NOT LITTER / DRIVE WITH ALCOHOL IN ONE'S SYSTEM / TO MAKE A SIGNAL PRIOR TO TURNING, ETC?

I think that if most First World people were truly taught in their homes to not litter etc., there would be enough people practicing such that the governments of such countries would not see the need to impose and enforce a law pertaining to such action.

I also don't understand why towns with low enforcement of littering laws have more litter on their streets while towns with more enforcement of littering laws are spotless.

And to Rick, the answer to all your questions are a big YES! But, we are not debating what I think about this subject, we are simply debating whether First World people value have a tendency to not litter due to family values or government enforcement and how that relates to what's witnessed in the DR. The fact that there are laws prohibiting people from littering gives me the impression that enforcement outnumbers family values by a huge margin and the lack of enforcement in the DR is the main culprit for why there is so much litter in many places.

Similarly, the reason why people drive erratically is precisely because of the scarce enforcement of driving rules, despite the efforts of AMET.

But, some people want to believe it has to do with being educated beyond the 8th grade (even though kids in Kindergarten learn to not litter if they are taught such principles and such principles are enforced by parental/authority figures), thus the notion that people need an education beyond the 8th grade to learn how to not litter is ludicrus at best.

Others want to believe that its all about family values and what is taught to children in the home. Sure, some people obviously learn from the example of their parents and the enforcement of such values which their parents enforce upon their children is what keeps the children following the values taught in their home. But, it still remains true that there are laws all over the First World prohibiting an action that many people here claim is learned in the home. If most First Worldlers learn to not litter in the home, why does their governments feel the need to make such principle into law? Wouldn't the benefit of a litter free society prevent people from littering without having their government threaten them with fines or even arrest? Obviously not!

And the list goes on and on.

Also, the jeepeta bashing is really something on this board in general. People, sink this in your heads. Other folks are not going to change their behavior to suit your tastes, so get off the anti-jeepeta stand and live your life for goodness sakes!

I even get the impression some of you have a sort of grudge (perhaps envy of some sort? Could be) towards jeepeta owners!!!

And leave the new riches alone, in fact leave all rich people alone! If anything they are probably giving more to the development of the DR than most DR1ers! For certain, one does need to wonder if many DR1ers are simply envious of the Dominican upper class?

Hmm... could be!
;)
-NALs

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Nal?s,

The reason I asked those questions of you was so that I could ascertain where YOU AS A DOMINICAN stand on the subject of littering. It was not meant as a point for a debate but for my own personal knowledge and for your answer I thank you.

As you seem to be on this roll concerning laws, their enactment and enforcement let us put it into a different light. Why do all countries have a law against murder and stealing? If you by any chance can answer that question without any help from another party then I will tell you that the same reason applies to the laws, reason for enactment and enforcement of all other laws that exist in all countries of the world to include those that you keep referring to.

Now it seems to me that if EVERYONE had and were raised with the same teaching that I was subjected to as a child growing up and IF they were to hold those same values till the day they died then the need for law and law enforcement would be non-existent. The reality of the situation in society is that this isn?t the case and therefore the reason and need for laws and enforcement. The stupidity of this conversation I am now carrying on with myself is such because you know all of this but I will amuse you by explaining it. Now that we have gotten over that tough hurdle.

Now relating to the DR I pose this question to you. If all, one third, one half, three quarters of the Dominicans in this country were to be taught by their parents, schools, ONG?s, public service announcements or other means the detriment that littering plays on their health, well-being and environment do you think there would be less litter in the DR?

Rick

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hey Nals, it's a deal. I'll sign a truce and lay off the jeepeta brigade if they let me drive through my street in the mornings. Is that too much to ask?

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Unfortunately you and I both know that deal is not going to work Chiri. I do think the school should take steps to alleviate the problem. Ironically the entrance in question was made to help alleviate the problem with traffic on Sarasota ? it seems to have just added another hotspot instead.

The basic problem is a school that has too many families for the dropoff/parking areas of the school to handle. Easiest solution would be to stagger the school hours of elementary students to different times so that not all 1100+ students are trying to enter/exit at same time. Add to the problem that each driver feels their child is more important than any other child and the traffic problem will not be solved anytime soon.

And no it is not limited to just the DR. Many of the drivers here in Pakistan have exactly the same attitude when taking their child to school. To be honest driving in Pakistan is worse than driving in DR in my opinion. Of course I drove in DR for nine years and have only been in Pak for six months so not really a long time for comparision.

Good luck with your problem but I don't see a solution except for changing the time and/or route you travel.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hi expatsooner! I've been to places where driving is worse than in the DR too, namely certain South American and Middle Eastern cities.

This particular problem could be alleviated if people stopped a little further away, and some indeed do, but there is a proportion that as you say, thinks that their child is more important than everyone else's. Note that they even object to drivers who stop to allow their own children's fellow students and staff at the school to cross the road!

We already leave home a full 15 minutes earlier, because after 7:10 or 7:15 both roads become totally impassable. A detour on top of that would be insult to injury.

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
"The Dominican people have suffered exploitation for around 500 years "

Gimme a break!! Read some history. Like of Russia, the USA, Sierra Leone.
This island is an Eden that has only suffered from its own blows == really little in comparison to others on the planet.
But the whining is a cultural constant. Don't believe it.

Guachupita

Dec 28, 2006
I'll second that! The Dominican people have suffered exploitation for around 500 years and still they come up smiling. Now if you could bottle that type of resilience and sell it you'd make a fortune.

I third and fourth that.

Dominican sense of humor is like a block of amber with a bear trapped inside: luminous and full of the absurd.

e.g., when that DR President [forget his name] died of apparent suicide, the comment was "no se suicido, lo suicidaron".

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oye, pero que paso?..

e.g., when that DR President [forget his name] died of apparent suicide, the comment was "no se suicido, lo suicidaron".
Come on man, even my daughter who was born in the US knows that, that President's name is Silvestre Antonio Guzman Fernandez.

Btw: we will NEVER know if he killed himself or someone "helped" him. We can only go with what was told to us.

Btw 2: why one of the worst neighborhoods in the whole DR, if not the worse, as your nickname?.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Come on man, even my daughter who was born in the US knows that, that President's name is Silvestre Antonio Guzman Fernandez.

Btw: we will NEVER know if he killed himself or someone "helped" him. We can only go with what was told to us.

Btw 2: why one of the worst neighborhoods in the whole DR, if not the worse, as your nickname?.

I can assure you he took his own life. No one helped him.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Perhaps...

I can assure you he took his own life. No one helped him.
Only if you were there.

Listen, I know the man was ashamed for what his family and friends did (among other things) but he was the one who put them in a position to do what they did.

Btw: I also think he killed himself BUT one just never knows unless "one" was there.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Only if you were there.

Listen, I know the man was ashamed for what his family and friends did (among other things) but he was the one who put them in a position to do what they did.

Btw: I also think he killed himself BUT one just never knows unless "one" was there.

I was close enough... to be totally convinced. Of course, there will always be conspiracy theories. However, I won't discuss this publically...

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
Here is a classic:

Went to a community meeting yesterday - before the meeting we spent 10 minutes sweeping and mopping the village hall floor. During the meeting a bag of sweets was passed round, everyone took one and dropped the wrapper on the floor, and left it there after the meeting. No doubt next week they will be complaining that they have to spend 10 minutes cleaning before the start of the meeting.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
George,

This automatically brings up a question. Were there any receptacles for placing trash in? Needless to say the lack of such would substantiate the action in some peoples mind as the very thought of placing a plastic wrapper in your pocket until such a time that a receptacle is available would be out of the question.

Rick

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
another classic: i was coming back to POP on a metro yesterday all wrapped up (we all know how cold it is, get me a husky and i'll feel like travelling to the pole). the guy sitting next to me put on an additional siberian breeze from small air con above our heads. at this point i was a small ball of thick socks and a hoodie. guy asked whether i was cold to which i replied that yes, VERY cold. he muttered to himself that a polish woman (we talked before)should not be cold ever, zipped up his jacked and ... not put off the ac above. eventually i had to ask him to switch it off....
yeah, i know, some folks are not bothered by an arctic conditions on metro buses but even he was all zipped up! i think air con on was more of a habit than anything else as he blissfully fell asleep as soon as we turned it on without any complains about the heat.
maybe sometimes you just need to ask...