Dominicans: Are they pathologically inconsiderate?

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Do you remember being a child, and promising yourself that you would never become like your parents?
How you would always remain a kid and hold onto those values?
Well, Dominicans have achieved it.
Right or wrong, good or bad, that's what they are.
Kids in adult bodies.
If you look at any and all of their behaviour, you will realize that what seemed inexplicable before, can be easily explained, if you think of them as kids.
Be it about not being punctual, not understanding danger levels, tossing trash, not understanding the value of money, etc, all of the above, are child-like attributes.
When gringos move here, they all want to have some of that "happy go lucky" action, the Dominicans all have, yet, they want to be responsible, like adults from the industrialized nations, who worry about tomorrow, plan for the future, act responsibly, etc, and can never achieve that easy smile, Dominicans have.
You can't have both.
This is not derogatory, simply a fact, and it does not apply to every single Dominican, as some are a lot more traveled than others, but is common enough to make the generalization.
Not counting the highly educated Dominicans, the mean average adult male is comparable to a 4 to 8 year old child in North America, maturity-wise.

Based on your comments about Dominicans, two things come to mine mind.
1) Were you on cocaine or crack before coming out with such a conclusion?
2) How many years of researching and traveling the country; Did take you for
your hypothesis?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Your question has crossed every single gringo's mind, who ever lived here.
It sure helped me develop the patience needed to live here and be happy.

Well, Rocky, your words sum up what I think... Your formulation is just fine :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What about the contradiction George mentions, between the generosity of the campesinos and the inconsiderate urbanites?

I've had some bad cinema experiences - let me dig up that thread - started by a Dominican BTW.

The way people drive is another example - today the car in front of me stopped suddenly, without signalling, to drop someone off. It wasn't a concho but a nice jeepeta. That combination of lack of consideration and common-sense sums it up for me. Even if you don't give a sh!t about inconveniencing the cars behind you, what about the chances of getting rear-ended?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Well technically it is always the fault of the car behind, and sensible drivers keep their distance for that reason. But most drivers are not sensible, and whether it's my fault or not, I don't want the inconvenience of my car being rear-ended.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Well technically it is always the fault of the car behind, and sensible drivers keep their distance for that reason. But most drivers are not sensible, and whether it's my fault or not, I don't want the inconvenience of my car being rear-ended.

Unfortunately, you and I think differently than the masses when it comes to driving the DR.

You are right, technically, it would be the fault of the car behind, and being rear-ended is the last thing I would want, as well. Most DR drivers, as you know better than I, would think nothing of stopping in the middle of the road without warning, and then go ballistic on you because you couldn't read their mind and knew they were going to stop. You're right, it feeds into the same mentality as the points mentioned by the OP.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Based on your comments about Dominicans, two things come to mine mind.
1) Were you on cocaine or crack before coming out with such a conclusion?
Are those the only 2 options?
2) How many years of researching and traveling the country; Did take you for
your hypothesis? [/quote]15 plus.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I don't know the answer to your questions, but I have often wondered about several things, and can raise more questions:

-why do people insist on walking in the streets, when there are perfectly good sidewalks available 15 feet away?
-why do people sit in the streets (in the cities or el campo) to hang out, and then give any car a "look" if they want to pass through the street?
-why do politicians/police/military/Oficial placas think they have the right to blow their horns or use their sirens and run stoplights/stopsigns and risk the lives of other citizens, day or night?
-why do ambulances/fire trucks/police cars NEVER turn off their EMERGENCY lights on top of the vehicle when driving ANYWHERE?
-why bother placing AMET agents at any intersection, if their job only involves standing in the nearest shady spot, and ignoring whatever happens in front of them?
-if the government wants to encourage tourism in other areas of the country (not just Punta Cana or Puerto Plata/Sosua), why do they then put so many military checkpoints out there, to the point that it is intimidating even to people who live in the DR?
-if the Red Cross' mission is to promote safety, how can they consider it safe to run several of their vehicles side by side and slow down traffic to 50 kph on roads with posted speed limits of 100 kph, when the roads are wide open ahead of them, and 200 vehicles backed up behind them?
-why are police and military allowed to carry weapons when out of uniform?
-why are people quickly let out of jail after getting caught red-handed with several hundred kilos of illegal drugs, but if you punch an ignorant bastard in the nose for something stupid he did, you are sent to Najayo rapidly, and the key is tossed away?
-why do people in areas with many power outages/water outages then run every single light/fan/appliance available, and leave the taps running, when they DO have power, or water?

Sorry, I give up after 10 questions. Can anyone answer these, or add others?

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
It's Called "Ghetto!"

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig!

It usually takes more than money and fancy cars to make a dent in someone's "ghetto" upbringing. Education, global exposure, and time are the only things that are going to influence someone's "questionable" upbringing. Without these things, they will continue to remain "ghetto."

-Helpmann :)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Do you remember being a child, and promising yourself that you would never become like your parents?
How you would always remain a kid and hold onto those values?
Well, Dominicans have achieved it.
Right or wrong, good or bad, that's what they are.
Kids in adult bodies.
Marc,
Unruly kids always learn to behave in the restaurant after Ted tells them about the microwave. Can one be adapted that is size-appropriate for these adult kids?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
helpmann, I know plenty of folks here with education and money, who will not hesitate to stop in the middle of the street while they go somewhere, or drop someone off , or park in the front entrance of wherever they are going- "those people behind me can wait for me", or, "don't they know who I am" ?

My personal favorite is Angel Lockward, who as Minister of Commerce parked his jeepeta in the entrance of the building's parking lot because he was late for a meeting, thereby blocking in everyone else in the parking lot. "Don't they know who I am?" - it DID cost him his job. Even that was too much for Hipolito.

My answer to these folks is," I don't know WHO you are, but I sure know WHAT you are!" You can take the chopo out of the barrio, but not the barrio out of the chopo.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It is very sad that you are putting all Dominicans in the same boat. Considering them to be the same is like saying that all American are nothing, but rednecks and crackers, which we are not, just my opinion.
I'm not sure if this was directed at George, myself, or CC, but, if I may, I'd like to address your comment/conclusion.
Generalizations can be made about races, nationalities, like most Chinese are not very tall, while Masai warriors are, that Latinos are very passionate/hot blooded, that Germans are very military-like, that Jewish people are good in business, etc.
It may not suit you to hear people generalize, and you are entitled to your opinion.
As most Americans are not rednecks & crackers, you couldn't make that generalization, or at least, it wouldn't be valid.
That being said, if most Americans were rednecks, and you moved to the US, it would be a good idea to learn to understand their nature, so as to be able to function properly.
Most of the problems in this world, come from lack of understanding.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Marc,
Unruly kids always learn to behave in the restaurant after Ted tells them about the microwave. Can one be adapted that is size-appropriate for these adult kids?
As of Jan 1, 2007, it is now considered illegal to put kids in the microwave.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Learn to Read! Ghetto, Isn't Just in the DR!

helpmann, I know plenty of folks here with education and money, who will not hesitate to stop in the middle of the street while they go somewhere, or drop someone off , or park in the front entrance of wherever they are going- "those people behind me can wait for me", or, "don't they know who I am" ?
Who said money??? Money doesn't change ghetto! Sometimes money makes it worse!!

I said "education, global exposure, and time." With these 3 things people will change.

-Helpmann :rolleyes:

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Asxxole?

I'm not sure if this was directed at George, myself, or CC, but, if I may, I'd like to address your comment/conclusion.
Generalizations can be made about races, nationalities, like most Chinese are not very tall, while Masai warriors are, that Latinos are very passionate/hot blooded, that Germans are very military-like, that Jewish people are good in business, etc.
It may not suit you to hear people generalize, and you are entitled to your opinion.
What is the stereotypical Canadian like? Does it start with an "a?"

-Helpmann :cheeky:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What is the stereotypical Canadian like? Does it start with an "a?"

-Helpmann :cheeky:
All kidding aside, Canadians are more inhibited, than our Southern neighbours.
They will receive you in their homes and be very proper about it, while the southerners will be more casual.
If a Canadian is walking down a hallway of a hotel, and runs into someone coming from the opposite direction, he might divert his eyes, while two Americans in the same situation, will probalby say, "How ya doin'?"

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I used to complain and shout like the rest of us but later (after living here almost 9 yrs) I have learned to accept their rules. After-all its their country and the least I can do is follow their rules. Now I do exactly what dominicans do. I block people on the street, I go opposite on one way streets, I break red lights when no one is around and I talk on the phone while driving stick shift car. I come late and don't even offer an explanation, I break promises and forget to show up on appointments. I have realized, no one minds a bit except for the foreigners. I mean, why raise my blood pressure when they don't care? I have learned simply to not care. I pay my rent late, pay my bills late and often let my dominican friends pay my restaurant / bar bill. I also look the other way like they do when the bill comes. All has been working out great for me and I have noticed my stress level has fallen to a rather healthy level.
I park my car on the street and block everyone to talk to people. I once blocked a police jeep on monumento because I was talking to a girl. I finally moved when the police gave me loud sirens. Then when I moved aside they came parked next to my car and gave me a stare. I rolled down my window, shook the police's hand and sincerely complained that they didn't have to be so rude to not let me talk to a sweet girl. I mean, I was only blocking the traffic and the police had nothing better to do then to wait till I finish the conversation. The cop laughed and to my american friend's surprise, he appologized to me and assured me that he had an emergency call and had to move quickly. We parted laughing. My american friend thought we were going to get a ticket when we heard the sirens behind my car. Hahahahah. No one cares here so why should I?
I once blocked a black SUV near monumento area, there was no parking anywhere. I apporached the owner of the SUV and told him that I will be inside the restaurant and if he wants to leave, just look for me there. He shook my hand and told me not to worry. That funny looking guy got my attention, he was no other than international famous merenguero Sergio vargas. he didn't care about being blocked, so why should I?
Life goes on. I say do what dominicans do and stop complaining.
AZB