don't be a litterbug

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
since i see that the subject of littering moved posters' hearts so much that they littered the thread about businesses in sosua with posts "how sad it is to see trash all over, oh my, but it's the part of the culture, dontchaknow" i created a new thread for your enjoyment. entirely dedicated to rubbish. aren't you glad? i bet you are.

carry on.

THANK YOU for moving those posts here where they Fit much better ... and not deleting them..

sorry for posting that stuff in the other thread ... where it clearly did not belong..
we got sidetracked .. was not intentional ...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
That is very hard for me to believe.

Few Dominicans complain about the "me first and loudest". Heck even the taxis that pass unsafely on the highway are not chided by those paasengers who stand to lose their lives.
And comparing a puppy capping in the house to a full grown Dominican adult who tosses his Styrofoam food container and water bottle in the gutter in front of his own house is absurd.
If you are so disrespectful of your own dwelling then you will soon have rats and roaches as roommates.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Whenever NEWBIES speak about how wonderful and friendly the people are, and those who dont agree should move back to their home Countries, I cannot help but think of the things you have mentioned above. Newbies should not give advice until the honeymoon period is over!

This is the sixth country I lived in. In my opinion (as an American)
Dominicans are some of the most wonderful, friendly and helpful
people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Comes down to education really, Garbage trucks will not help if people continue to throw their trash on the ground. It's sad and makes me angry when I see people do this from 2 year olds to 75 year olds, but heres the thing 80% of Dominicans do not have proper education they sponsor the I dont care about you or my community additude they're out for themselves and immediate family and sometimes just their self when the circumstance is right, I dont want to come off negative here but if I said something otherwise I would just be ignoring the fact there is a issue. How do you fix this? quality education! If this offends any Dominicans I do apologize in advance but objectivly your education even in your best Universities doesnt compare mostly because your teachers do not care and accept bribes and pass people for 2k pesos but also because the enviroment in which you live is not logical. Those are my two cents and again i'm being objective here not rude.

You know the reason why Canada works? there is a huge ephasis on community; any country that places their bulk love and energy on a family unit and disregards the community is doomed why? because your house can be clean and lovley inside but if you step out into a warzone full of trash and crime because people do not care then the society will never function because cities and countries function as a community not a single house family.

??????????

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
the problem with throwing garbage everywhere is centered around one thing.....changing the thing that is the hardest....peoples minds.........Doc...........

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Garbage trucks pick up what's out in the bin. Dominicans seem content to just throw their plastic and cans and bottles and what other refuse they have at the side of the road.
You even see them tossing it from taxis and buses
Such a pity to spoil the county

I was having lunch with a woman at one of the parks in PP. She saw that I had a garbage bag, and threw her empty beer bottles down the hill anyway. Last time we went out.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
Littering is just one example that is symptomatic of a general "the world revolves around me" attitude of many(not all) Dominicans. It's reflected in their refusal to dim their brights, driving like maniacs, butting in line, blasting music in their houses in the barrios at all hours of the the night, and bellowing like bull mooses in restaurants and in public in general. An overall lack of courtesy and disregard for for anybody else but themselves. It's gotten so bad even many Dominicans are complaining about these behaviors.

Yes. And if you say that this is a cultural problem, in effect: this is a logical outcome of the way children were (and are) being raised and educated this way (uneducated ; fire at will) then you will be thrown of this forum

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I believe there is hope. I don't know the percentage but I do know some Doms consider it offensive. At least the Dom in the car disapproves n the vid below.

Sorry, I don't know how to grab a fb vid and post it.

https://www.facebook.com/julio.ortiz.94214/videos/10216030423610784/?t=0

That could be a Haitian in the video and, although I have not been to Haiti, I assume even basic garbage service isn't available in many parts of the country and this is how they learn to send their trash away?

The use of gutters for dumping everything from motor oil to washing machine soap is rampant throughout the DR.
And the fouling of the ocean is a direct result.
This is not the only country that does this - sadly it is most of Latin America and parts of Asia and also the Middle East.
And I don't think we can blame poverty. Lack of education? What does it take to realize your own yard is full of smelly, rat-attracting and disease spreading trash?
It doesn't take a thick textbook.

luperongringo

Jun 16, 2016
Litterbugs

This is the sixth country I lived in. In my opinion (as an American)
Dominicans are some of the most wonderful, friendly and helpful
people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Amen to that, I have been living here in the DR for 14 years and think the Dominican people are wonderful folks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the problem with throwing garbage everywhere is centered around one thing.....changing the thing that is the hardest....peoples minds.........Doc...........

the other day i was walking back home after finishing my morning run. i passed a dominican guy with a small girl, about 5. he was telling her to throw away candy wrappers that she was holding into the bin on the other side of the street. she was reluctant to walk alone. i had a sweaty napkin in my hand too so i said to thee girl that we can walk to the bin together and toss our trash in together. so he did and we high fived afterwards. i complimented the guy on his good parenting and he beamed with pride. a little encouragement or even a simple acknowledgment of someone's efforts goes a long way.

change takes time. and it takes the work of many to make it happen. so take part. every little helps.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I believe there is hope. I don't know the percentage but I do know some Doms consider it offensive. At least the Dom in the car disapproves n the vid below.

Sorry, I don't know how to grab a fb vid and post it.

https://www.facebook.com/julio.ortiz.94214/videos/10216030423610784/?t=0

That video just amazes me on so many levels ...
To take the time and effort to take Garbage OUT of the Bag it is already IN , by Hand ..
.. and then disperse it INTO the street , hoping the rain washes it away..
Just think about that ....that is some serious Bad Home Training. or something else that is lacking , Education maybe ?.
It actually takes MORE time to do this , than to just DUMP it into a container , whenever is convenient ..

Or perhaps there is a major problem with Trash Pickup ?

But any way you look at it , that video says so many things .

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It goes without saying littering drives me nuts. I'm the guy who uses my pockets and the floor of my vehicle as a trash can until I can find one.

Outside of my building in our Free Zone, there is one of those plastic tanks with a lid that are commonly used with trucks that have hooks to pick it up and dump it in the back.

The Admin of the Free Zone bought them for all of the buildings, but not the truck. Instead, they just use them as trash bins and have employees come around with a truck and empty them manually.

What kills me is every day employees from the different factories will sit in the shade of tree in front to eat their lunch, and then throw their plates on the ground around the trash bin.

That drives me up the fricking wall, so I pay a guy every day to pick up the trash and throw it in the bin. Stupid.

More stupid is the guys who unload the bin in the truck to take away the trash, who let the trash fall on the ground all over the place when they pick it up. They get 95% of the trash, the other 5%? My guy picks it up again. Double stupid.

RoodyRoots

Aug 14, 2018
people seem to forget that they had to be trained not to drop litter by their respective countries in the 1960s , usually in the form of a fine ....we are not that different to Dominicans regarding the dropping of litter its just that no one fined them for dropping it

Dubcreator

Sep 15, 2013
Belgium
You cannot fine them, they have no money! Maybe they should get punched in the face a couple times, untill they get it? In the western countries, when no one is around to see it, people do just the same, too lazy to take a few steps to toss their garbage in the cans. So it's not education or lack of it, it's a mentality thing, and those are the hardest to change.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Billy boy I see your a debater .....as far as the trash here I look at it this way kids see the parents littering it's the monkey see Monkey Do theory ... end of story

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
people seem to forget that they had to be trained not to drop litter by their respective countries in the 1960s , usually in the form of a fine ....we are not that different to Dominicans regarding the dropping of litter its just that no one fined them for dropping it

I don't think the fine did it. I point to speeding as an example.

It's a cultural norm yet to catch on here. Same with men urinating in public, and countless other examples.

I know that I was "in for it" as child if I tossed litter. Here, it's quite normal to see a child unwrapping candy and not giving any concern to where that wrapper lands.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
... if you have ever been to Grand Cayman Island ....you will notice the total lack of litter....you will notice big signs, $500 us dollar fine for littering...and they have police everywhere to take you to jail..litter to them is anything, even a gum wrapper.........Doc..........