don't be a litterbug

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Ayuntamiento Municipal de Sosua...

Ley 120-99 prohíbe a toda persona física o jurídica tirar desperdicios sólidos o de cualquier naturaleza en calles, aceras, parques y espacios públicos.
Artículo 4: Las personas que sean sorprendidas tirando basura, desechos o desperdicios de cualquier tipo, del tamaño que fuere, en los lugares públicos, serán condenados a la pena de dos hasta 10 días de prisión o multas de 500 a 1000 pesos o ambas penas a la vez.
Si compartes, nos ayuda a EDUCAR.
Law 120-99 prohibits any physical or legal person from throwing solid waste or any nature in streets, sidewalks, parks and public spaces.

Article 4: people who are surprised by throwing trash, waste or waste of any kind, whatever size, in public places, will be sentenced to the penalty of two up to 10 days in prison or fines of 500 1000 pesos or both sorrows at the same time.

If you share, help us educate.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I really hope this will be enforced, but I'm not counting on it. Millions can be made in fines.

On another note in regards to garbage. I was just at playero getting some eggs and most of Endy's eggs are now in Styrofoam containers instead of the grey cardboard. Another step backwards. As the worlds is trying to banish all Styrofoam, this country produces more.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Haha!
I’ve had some interesting conversations with my gardener on whattapp using google translate!
:rolleyes:

try it with Deepl:

http://www.adn.gob.do/joomlatools-files/docman-files/Ley 120-99.pdf

"CONSIDERING: that the people who walk the streets do not have repairs to throw your waste plastic or edible paper anywhere,thereby reproducing the conditions for the deterioration of quality environmental
HAS GIVEN THE FOLLOWING LAW:
Article 1.- It is forbidden for any physical or moral person to throw waste.
and of any nature in streets, sidewalks, containers, parks, highways,
roads, spas, seas, rivers, canyons, streams and irrigation channels, beaches, squares
and other places of entertainment and other public places.
PARRAFO: It is forbidden to throw rubbish in the gullies except in those that the municipalities determine and prepare for such purposes.
Article 2.- Owners and tenants of homes and apartments are prohibited from
commercial establishments removing rubbish, waste or litter at different times
The provisions of the relevant municipal provisions shall apply.
Article 3.- Once the garbage has been placed in the containers and in the following places
where it is to be collected, it is forbidden to disorganize it, to rummage through it, to turn over the
In the event of an accident, break the containers in which they have been deposited.
Article 4.- The people who are caught throwing garbage, waste orwaste of any kind, regardless of size, in public places shall be
sentenced to two (2) to ten (10) days imprisonment or fines of
five hundred (RD$500.00) to one thousand (RD$1,000.00) pesos, or both at the same time."..............

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I really hope this will be enforced, but I'm not counting on it. .

It really needs to be taught in schools. And constant reinforcement as they graduate from year to year. They can even borrow our tried and perfected Don't Be a Litterbug campaign. It worked well.

Otherwise, the trash throwers will just make sure they don't get caught.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
It really needs to be taught in schools. And constant reinforcement as they graduate from year to year. They can even borrow our tried and perfected Don't Be a Litterbug campaign. It worked well.

They actually are now and recycling....

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
If you want the gen public to comply with something then make it easier to comply than face the consequences.

A regular garbage collection and garbage bins within easy reach of everyone would be a good start.The overflowing,never- emptied ones, since disappeared, was a poorly thought out exercise.

Just get a regular emptying and sweep-up service going,which,together with social education, would work.What's the point of walking a half mile to a can if it's never emptied?Strewn all down the road by dogs or the wind..

I was in Cartagena earlier this year and there are guys with brooms and carts 24 hrs a day,clean garbage cans all around and the place is pretty spotless I have to admit.

You want people to comply? Make it easy for them,not play the paper tiger..

Big

Apr 24, 2019
agree! the only way to stop litter bugs is education. I see young, old, poor, rich ,throwing trash on the street and even out of car windows.
On the other hand, recycling is overrated , never have done it at home or place of business, NEVER will

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017

No, this should be taught in the homes. Parents and grandparents need to raise their children, and not just in the DR. I commented quite awhile ago about a neighbor's kid that went to the National Aquarium with us and threw an ice cream wrapper in the ditch. After retrieving it, I gave a lecture on respecting one's country by not littering. I asked rhetorically, why should a foreigner like me respect him and his country when he does not. I attracted some attention on Ave. Espana that day, and received a few positive nods.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
No, this should be taught in the homes. Parents and grandparents need to raise their children, and not just in the DR. .

I think we've had this discussion before. Teaching it in the homes is where it SHOULD start. But how do you propose to kick that off?

A nationwide campaign of awareness aimed at 3 y.o.'s and up, and their parents, would work. Eventually it would become second nature. The "Dont Be A Litterbug" campaign in the 50's/60's in the US was deployed at the beginning stages of a littering habit. After WWII, people were putting 2.5 cars in every driveway, driving everywhere, cross country, and starting to just toss their trash. The Dont Be A Litter Bug Scare put an end to it.

But the DR is in much worse shape, it is an epidemic here. They (many) think nothing of tossing trash because it will eventually just wash into the sea. Easy Peasy, it just disappears. They need an intense campaign to turn it around.

And by the way, The US LitterBug Campaign was a form of brainwashing. I'm still traumatized.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I'm still traumatized.

old-metal-litterbug-sign-vintage-antique-tin_1_96c86d98e1c3ae0cbed817f5731631d5.jpg

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I'm convinced Dominicans prefer to destroy their environment. They think nothing of tossing out a truck full of their domestic garbage in wooded areas or plastic and glass bottles where ever they finish with them.

They must love rats and roaches that feed off this garbage and the unsightliness of the countryside.

You want to know what will kill tourism in areas not controlled like AIs - it's the garbage. No one from 1st world countries wants to visit an eco-tourist destination for this.

They will choose more environmentally aware countries like Costa Rica and Colombia, or Hawaii.

I'm ashamed to have my friends come for a visit - they would be appalled.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm convinced Dominicans prefer to destroy their environment. They think nothing of tossing out a truck full of their domestic garbage in wooded areas or plastic and glass bottles where ever they finish with them.

They must love rats and roaches that feed off this garbage and the unsightliness of the countryside.

You want to know what will kill tourism in areas not controlled like AIs - it's the garbage. No one from 1st world countries wants to visit an eco-tourist destination for this.

They will choose more environmentally aware countries like Costa Rica and Colombia, or Hawaii.

I'm ashamed to have my friends come for a visit - they would be appalled.

the planes fly both ways, chico bill.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I really hope this will be enforced, but I'm not counting on it. Millions can be made in fines.

On another note in regards to garbage. I was just at playero getting some eggs and most of Endy's eggs are now in Styrofoam containers instead of the grey cardboard. Another step backwards. As the worlds is trying to banish all Styrofoam, this country produces more.

Endy's has used styrofoam as long as I can remember for the half dozen and dozen egg option.

They use the cardboard for the 20 egg and 30 egg option.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
One thing that enrages me is when I see people deliberately throwing rubbish out of their vehicles.

I have a dash cam and our numbers are growing. Wouldn't it be great if we could use that footage to help prosecute the offenders anonymously? Never gonna happen with the state of current Dominican legislation.

Would be a step in the right direction though. If the law won't help, perhaps social media can, by naming and shaming these people.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
littering is definitely as popular as baseball, its a sport. Any empty or vacant lot, abandon building is a trash dumping zone.