Don't Pay Online For Overstay Extension

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correct... not part of the revenue stream but they are an immigration irritation for the government.....

Will that be enough to create action ?
Who knows..... maybe ?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Remember, the majority of DR tourists are AI visitors.... the 6 mo people are fewer and might not be put off by an easier way for a long term stay.
They might even welcome it.

The typical tourist will be unaware of the change
Your right the typical tourist would be unaware of the change, and so would anyone else. Including the snowbirds. And who needs to jump through hoops for a Visa when this system is easy and cheap.

Another thing, are you aware that to get most Visas you have to submit your passport and wait for its return. Want to give your passport to the DR Govt.? THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN..............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It certainly does look like the overstay fines will remain in place. Nothing has changed on that. Looks like it never will.

So, stay as long as you like from a tourist card country and pay the fine as you leave. No reason to be legal up until now
unless you want do something like register a motorcycle and drive it legally. Or open a bank account after 30 days. Paying the fine up front would not
allow one to register a motorcycle and get a license since a cedula is required for the process. (Something they are working on for others legally in the country for various reasons who previously could not do so, so that is changing.)

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Because its scam. I want a simple visa stay for snowbirds like windeyguy says, 6 months visa, say for $150. ONE fee. Problem solved.
The people who overstay understand they will be required to pay a fine upon their
departure and the government has no problem accepting their payments. It sounds
like you are misinformed. Perhaps you are mistaken. In no way, shape or form is it a "scam"

Reactions: JD Jones and SKY

Santiago DR

Aug 31, 2022
Embrujo 3 Santiago
I would not pay on line for anything that has other options. DGM personnel who I had to call on a couple of occasions were very helpful and warned my against paying for my Residencia Definitiva (10) year visa online. Also while allegedly depending on who in DGM you talk to Foreigners can get there cedulas in Santiago at the old DGM office 2nd floor in the building = Santiago Immigration Department: Local 230, 2nd. Level, Jardín Plaza, Av. 27 de Febrero, corner, Antigua Texas, Av Padre Ramón Dubert, Santiago De Los Caballeros » (809) 971-6975. I got my residency done so fast I decided to not take a chance at having to return to and had mine done in Santo Domingo. No kidding that the various DGM operators were able to understand my pidgin Spanish then actually locate my file and give me good directions. DGM STO DGO -= 809-508-2555.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The people who overstay understand they will be required to pay a fine upon their
like you are misinformed. Perhaps you are mistaken. In no way, shape or form is it a "scam"

The DR relies on tourists for a large part of their budget. Their goal is to make visits to the DR as comfortable and less stressful as possible. They have offered this plan for about 20 years now. And it is working like clockwork, Making it relatively easy for anyone coming here to not have to jump through the hoops that most Countries require.

Does this sound like a “scam”or a well planned system of operations?

Reactions: CristoRey

Santiago DR

Aug 31, 2022
Embrujo 3 Santiago
I did the last Permanent Residency deal by myself as I did the Definitive Residency all on line except in both I still had to go to STO DGO. But apparently things are in the process of changing cause my appointment was for Santiago but it was a mistake.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Doesn’t the DGM refer to it as an “impuesto” so a tax. So it’s legal.

Reactions: CristoRey

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I did the last Permanent Residency deal by myself as I did the Definitive Residency all on line except in both I still had to go to STO DGO. But apparently things are in the process of changing cause my appointment was for Santiago but it was a mistake.
Are you in the right thread?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The thread is about paying online for overstay, not residency issues.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Whoever came up with the terminology overstay and fee ? If it’s a tax for staying long term in the DR then maybe this forum has had it completely wrong for years.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
One of the most important things I have learned in the DR is never ever under any circumstances pay for something in advance. Did I mention never ever do this.
You will never see the product or service you paid for and there will be nobody that know what you are talking about.

Reactions: SKY and CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
One of the most important things I have learned in the DR is never ever under any circumstances pay for something in advance. Did I mention never ever do this.
You will never see the product or service you paid for and there will be nobody that know what you are talking about.
100% aGREED.
Never pay for anything in advance here. Period.