Double parking worsens traffic jams

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Dobles-parqueos-tapones-El-Caribe-e1631284408727.jpg

Double parking violates municipal rules, but the Transit Police (Digesett) have not been enforcing the regulations. As a result, the practice of double parking on already congested city streets has become the norm. This has worsened traffic jams in the city.

A report in El Caribe on double parking in Santiago city drives the point of the need for the authorities to impose the rules.

Read more in Spanish:El Caribe

10 September 2021

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
I concur, it is getting worse. Parking with the back of the car sticking out has become fashionable too.

Reactions: cavok

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Can let shorty walk half a block - stop wherever. But that's why they make horns. I use mine frequently

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I concur, it is getting worse. Parking with the back of the car sticking out has become fashionable too.
I see this all the time in Cabarete. The car is usually to big(typically a SUV) to fit into the space, or the driver is just too lazy, and the car will just pull into the space at an angle with the rear end sticking out into traffic.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Can let shorty walk half a block - stop wherever. But that's why they make horns. I use mine frequently
I do, too, but it's pretty much a waste of time with these people that double park. They'll just sit there an ignore you forcing everybody to go around them. In Cabarete, I frequently see drivers double park into front of the liquor store despite the fact that there is a space not more than 50 yards before or afted the store. They'll put on the emergency lights, get out of the car, and go into the liquor store - creating a big "tapon"

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
tickets for double parking will rank right there with the ones written for not parking on the sidewalks. I like the dip wads that park diagonal on the corners, as no parking within 5 meters of the corner. parking diagonal insures you will need to edge into the cross street to see if another car is coming

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Another minor gripe of mine are the mainly big SUV's and pick-ups that park with the wheels turned all the way out into the street. It's actually a parking fine in some cities.

Reactions: bienamor

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I do, too, but it's pretty much a waste of time with these people that double park. They'll just sit there an ignore you forcing everybody to go around them. In Cabarete, I frequently see drivers double park into front of the liquor store despite the fact that there is a space not more than 50 yards before or afted the store. They'll put on the emergency lights, get out of the car, and go into the liquor store - creating a big "tapon"
Double parking a big shiny SUV is like saying "Hey I am important, just look at me".
And you can bet the low IQ big-bellied driver has a big gold chain (probably only 10 karat) and some crappy rap music blaring loudly to impress the street urchins.

• Haha
Reactions: USA DOC and cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't go to Santiago often, but whenever I've been there I've never had any problem finding a parking lot relatively close to where I want to go.

Reactions: JD Jones

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think the only solution for cities like Santiago and SD is a much more extensive and modern public transportation system. You need to get more vehicles off the streets - not just find places for them to park.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I think the only solution for cities like Santiago and SD is a much more extensive and modern public transportation system. You need to get more vehicles off the streets - not just find places for them to park.
OK yes public transport system but the main problem is the streets are to narrow...and of course every Dominican knows they can park absolutely anyplace they want...........

• Love
Reactions: bienamor

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You have to wonder about the people who buy Hummers and just WTF are they thinking driving those gas guzzling behemoths through narrow streets.
Yes I have an SUV for the speed bumps and rough roads and many times I have no room to park or get by - but a Hummer makes you think what insufficiency is the driver trying to cover for?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
You have to wonder about the people who buy Hummers and just WTF are they thinking driving those gas guzzling behemoths through narrow streets.
Yes I have an SUV for the speed bumps and rough roads and many times I have no room to park or get by - but a Hummer makes you think what insufficiency is the driver trying to cover for?
The name of the SUV says it all.....they wish they could still get up for it.........

Reactions: chico bill

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
WFIW, There are virtually no Hummers in Santo Domingo. But the point about big gas guzzlers is valid.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
One thing I have noticed over the past couple of years is a large increase in the amount of full sized Ford/ Chevy full sized and double cab trucks.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
One thing I have noticed over the past couple of years is a large increase in the amount of full sized Ford/ Chevy full sized and double cab trucks.
Not just here.. Worldwide. Car companies are building what sells, and cars are not selling. I think Ford announced recently they would discontinue manufacturing cars entirely this year.

Other companies are announcing they are no longer going to produce gasoline powered vehicles and switch to electric only.

Reactions: cavok