DR authorized to export beef again to US markets

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Vacas-El-Caribe-1024x616.png

The Ministry of Agriculture announces that the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has cleared exports of raw and intact beef that has been slaughtered on or after 29 April 2022. The USDA lifts restrictions that have been in place for more than 15 years. A ban is still in place for export of cheek meat, head meat, heart meat and non-intact raw beef products.

The announcement comes after the US Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) received the review of the inspection of the meat industry to ensure quality, health, and safety control systems in slaughterhouses, processing plants, and cattle ranches that will be exporting. The Ministry of Agriculture urged meat producers to comply with the specifications and commitments in terms of quality, quantity, and frequency now that the ban is lifted.

“If the Dominican Republic wishes to certify other raw beef components or...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
At a time when the government claims to be concerned about food cost along with potential food shortages within the country?
Anyone purchased a pound of beef at the supermarket lately?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
At a time when the government claims to be concerned about food cost along with potential food shortages within the country?
Anyone purchased a pound of beef at the supermarket lately?
Bought premium carde molida at La Sirena was expensive , around 200 per lbs but was very lean and tasty.

Reactions: CristoRey

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Bought premium carde molida at La Sirena was expensive , around 200 per lbs but was very lean and tasty.
I don't remember if that is a good price in the DR, but here in the states, extra lean is about $6 per pound, so it sounds like you got a good deal there.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I don't remember if that is a good price in the DR, but here in the states, extra lean is about $6 per pound, so it sounds like you got a good deal there.
Ground round has gone up almost 100 pesos since the scamdemic. I have no idea why someone would buy extra lean ground. It comes from the leg and it's the worst tasting on the cow. (In DR to clarify). The best meats have a well blended ratio of fat to lean. The beef in the chain stores generally have better quality control and freeze the beef before grinding which is a must. It's also stored in very cold for a few days. Dominican beef is generally horrific with poor fat to lean ratio. There are some industrial ranchers that do provide a better quality. Clearly Jumbo, Nacional and LaSirena benefit from those places. The North Coast is hit or miss. Janet's, Pola and Playero have good days and smelly days. You need to look at the color and texture. Why the US would buy beef from the DR is a mystery to me.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ground round has gone up almost 100 pesos since the scamdemic. I have no idea why someone would buy extra lean ground. It comes from the leg and it's the worst tasting on the cow. (In DR to clarify). The best meats have a well blended ratio of fat to lean. The beef in the chain stores generally have better quality control and freeze the beef before grinding which is a must. It's also stored in very cold for a few days. Dominican beef is generally horrific with poor fat to lean ratio. There are some industrial ranchers that do provide a better quality. Clearly Jumbo, Nacional and LaSirena benefit from those places. The North Coast is hit or miss. Janet's, Pola and Playero have good days and smelly days. You need to look at the color and texture. Why the US would buy beef from the DR is a mystery to me.
https://oureverydaylife.com/what-cuts-of-meat-are-used-for-ground-beef-12531980.html from the leg you say.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I prefer angus beef. Difficult to find. I've only seen it sold at two places (restaurants) here in Santiago. The rest taste more like cheap lunch meat than beef.