DR Cost of Living - worldwide comparison

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bla Bla

Actually it is like my lady is prettier than your lady. It is all in how one wishes to think of it. I post that I am living in a house for $200.00 a month that would bring $1200 a month in Florida and am called a liar from both sides that I do not have a deal that good here and that anything could be that cheap, only $1200 a month in Florida. Some people feel that Colmados prices are higher, maybe they have never checked, like the person that said bananas sell for 25 pesos, maybe they are assuming that 7 Eleven prices are more than Winn Dixie, so Colmado has to be higher than La Sirena, not having ever lowered themsleves to buy eggs at a colmado or arroz etc... Maybe the supermarket prices you found in Italy are not where the guy shops.
QUien SAbe or as a friend always says Hu Nose?

Do you even read what you are replying to?

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think he gets a great deal on "Beans & Rice" at his local Colmado, because he spends so much on "Presidente" there!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
Booze is very expensive in both the US and Canada because of much higher taxes on alcohol. The same is true of tobacco products.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
they reduced the tax on smokes in Canada b/c too many thieves were hijacking full tractor loads to sell on the black/grey market

less tax = less crime..... go figure

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
If you compare local brand to local brand (e.g. budweiser in the U.S. vs. presidente in the DR) then beer at the supermarket is slightly cheaper in the U.S. but beer at the bar is much cheaper in the DR. It makes sense. In the U.S. bars have to deal with licensing and a lot of regulation and code requirements for safety, health, etc. and they pay their workers more.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in poland beer is cheaper than in DR, both in shops and and in bars but i think this particular product is a difficult one to judge. after all DR needs to import the materials used in production and poland (for example) does not. it would be better to compare rum made in DR to vodka made in poland (or, if you live elsewhere, whiskey or another strong spirit made locally).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I buy one jumbo Bohemia a week- 100 pesos at the colmado. I don't find a little over $2 dollars for a large beer expensive.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one liter of polish vodka in poland is 10 dollars and up. i am pretty sure that one liter of dominican rum in DR is cheaper than that.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
When I was in St Thomas for a bottle of Vodka I paid $5 but the kicker is the Orange Juice the price was over $8!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
When I was in St Thomas for a bottle of Vodka I paid $5 but the kicker is the Orange Juice the price was over $8!!!

reminds me of my youth, dontchaknow. we'd buy as much vodka as possible and spend whatever was left of the change on the smallest bottle of juice/soda.

which brings me to the price of orange juice. miesposo was shocked to find that a small glass of freshly squeezed orange juice was about 3 dollars back home. and it was orange season in DR so 3 dollars would buy you enough oranges to make 2 liters of juice...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I bought a bottle of mid-range ruby port yesterday in La Sirena for 800 pesos , so $19. I don't know if that's expensive or not. With the small amount of alcohol I drink I don't worry about the price.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Taxes on "Gasoline" in the DR are about $3.00 US a gallon!
That's but one of MANY regressive taxes here!
"Let Them Eat CAKE"!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
Senor Onassis, beer is a lot cheaper in the US .

Such an important subject begs for a thorough analysis, to wit:

Beer in 12 oz bottles is often cheaper. 12 Presidentes sell at Total Wine in Miami for $11.99 plus 7% tax. That is $1.07 per beer, about 8.9? per oz.

If you settle for Bud, it is $7.99 plus tax, 69?.

Presidente Jumbo is 33 oz, and sells for $120 RD, which is $3.63 US, or 11.02? per oz. If you are like most people, you drink with friends and order the Jumbo, delivered in a bamboo tube and cold with whatever number of plastic cups you ask for. I am not sure why this is, but Presidente Light is far more usual than regular Presidente. In Barahona, a lot of places only serve Presidente Light, and that is all anyone expects.

So if you are going to take your beer home and drink it there, you can do it for less in the US, provided you buy it at a discount beer store, and take it home and chill it yourself.

If you go to any bar, you will probably pay at least $3.00 for that 12 oz. beer, and that is 35? per oz. in the US, whereas a Presidente Jumbo will cost you perhaps $150 RD, or around 11? per ounce. So swigging beer socially costs less in the RD.

If you are extra cheap, you can buy your Presidente at the colmado and cash in the empties.

My conclusion is that drinking with amigos is lots cheaper and more fun in the RD, at least if you are okay with Presidente Light.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Janet's has the game figured - at least for the crowd here...

The 'Grande' is 78-79 pesos, not the normal 80..... that makes a difference to many!!

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Taxes on "Gasoline" in the DR are about $3.00 US a gallon!
That's but one of MANY regressive taxes here!
"Let Them Eat CAKE"!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
That is a flat tax neither progressive nor regressive. The us income tax is progressive and sometimes utilities like water are regressive like.

Regardless it IS a big tax per gallon.