DR Expels up to 700 Haitians Daily

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I do not know for a fact but no one mentions that any other nationality is being targeted in the papers or sites ,, the hostility is only against our neighbours and it is our neighbours who are living in desperate times and in my opinion need all the help that we can give them. In many ways we should be like Poland taking in millions of Ukrainians in their agonizing time but we are not .
The problem with that analogy is that, while Ukraine has known normalcy, Haiti has never had it, except when it has been under long term dictatorships (Boyer and the Duvaliers) or foreign occupation (US/UN). Under the metrics of the UN, if we are to wait until there is some semblance of normalcy, then the entirety of that country would move here by the time that (almost utopian) stage comes about. If you ask me, that country would be better served by having democracy suspended for a long time, at the very least until such a time when an educated nucleus can take over and resume that process again, like it happened in Taiwan and South Korea.

Reactions: AlterEgo

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
the hostility is only against our neighbours and it is our neighbours who are living in desperate times and in my opinion need all the help that we can give them.
OK. How "much help" do you propose? DR is not exactly living the hi life. Haitians get to use the hospitals in the DR. They get to trade at the border. They get almost free will working in constuction and child care. Can you answer...what do you propose? How much more "in your opinion needs to be done"? Don't pussy foot around the question. Please answer with a concrete proposal as to what the DR should provide to an undocumented person.
Share your vision.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
OK. How "much help" do you propose? DR is not exactly living the hi life. Haitians get to use the hospitals in the DR. They get to trade at the border. They get almost free will working in constuction and child care. Can you answer...what do you propose? How much more "in your opinion needs to be done"? Don't pussy foot around the question. Please answer with a concrete proposal as to what the DR should provide to an undocumented person.
Share your vision.

The obvious answer is that the DR should do ANYTHING it takes to help solve the long-lasting Haitian crisis.

In the long run it will benefit Hispanola as a whole, and that is the only sustainable option.

Will it be painful in the short term ? Probably.
Will it be beneficial to the DR in the long run ? Of course. The DR will really only thrive when their next door neighbour, with whom they share an island, will become a viable trading partner.

The major obstacle that we face is that DR politicians only see as far as the mandate they are serving and more than not, only think about their pockets.
Please note that the plague of short term viewing politicians is not specific to the DR.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
The obvious answer is that the DR should do ANYTHING it takes to help solve the long-lasting Haitian crisis.

In the long run it will benefit Hispanola as a whole, and that is the only sustainable option.

Will it be beneficial to the DR in the long run ? Of course. The DR will really only thrive when their next door neighbour, with whom they share an island, will become a viable trading partner.

The major obstacle that we face is that DR politicians only see as far as the mandate they are serving and more than not, only think about their pockets.
Please note that the plague of short term viewing politicians is not specific to the DR.
Nothing short of setting up a military regime answering to us would suffice, IMHO, cuz allowing unimpeded access to the country to their refugees while the existing disorder continues its slow burn over there can only end up with a similar chaos reproducing here, until democracy dies a fiery death islandwide with the resulting strong armed regime (either coming from the masses or from the army) appearing to restore order.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

I'm sorry but the answer is "not that obvious" to me. Care to expand what is the "obvious answer"? Not trying to be difficult but those in favor of your position must explain how far you want the DR to go with this...at the sacrifice of the Dominican people. Don't be bashful...how far?

Reactions: jd426

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I'm sorry but the answer is "not that obvious" to me. Care to expand what is the "obvious answer"? Not trying to be difficult but those in favor of your position must explain how far you want the DR to go with this...at the sacrifice of the Dominican people. Don't be bashful...how far?
As far as I am concerned, and despite the squirmishness of the current administration to take the step, the scenario long term will be for the marines to be sent to the island yet again, either as an actual occupation force, or else, manning up the coast guards and other naval forces that will be needed to keep a blockade on the island, unless they want to see the current disorder making it's hopping island to island until it reached Florida, or nearby PR/Virgin Islands.

malko

Jan 12, 2013

As I posted. Anything it takes.

Short term sacrifice, long term gains for the DR. As I said above, sadly we have had a few decades of " instant gratification is good " mentality, and that must change.
Sitting on a couch stuffing one's face with processed foods surrounded by material " things" is not an end goal for a Nation. Life ain't easy.
Nor should it be a goal for individuals either, even though sadly it has become the norm.

One could see the challenge as an opportunity for the DR.
No pain, no gain.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Share your vision.
I only see the Haitians in the east so my direct knowledge of them is limited to the East and the capital and not in places like Santiago . The ways that I think the DR can help are to permit the Haitians to continue working in positions that the Dominicans are reluctant to accept and I suppose that means cheap labourers . We can also let the Haitian women use the DR hospital facilities for emergency cases and to give birth because there are many young Dominican doctors without work. We can provide food such as rice and beans and fruit for which the DR can pay the farmers . Many farm workers are Haitians so that should help. The real problem is that I doubt if anyone knows how many Haitians are entering or leaving the country or how many Haitians actually live here. In the East , San Pedro, Hato Mayor ,El Seibo, La Romana, Higuey and the Bavaro areas I would say, by general observation, that there are less than 1 in every 50 Dominicans . I suppose in San Juan and in Pedernales the rate is higher.As we do not have a proper census and I believe no mention of original nationality is in the census papers ,it is impossible to know accurately. For all anyone knows there may be 700 leaving daily and 700 entering daily.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
As I posted. Anything it takes.

Short term sacrifice, long term gains for the DR. As I said above, sadly we have had a few decades of " instant gratification is good " mentality, and that must change.
Sitting on a couch stuffing one's face with processed foods surrounded by material " things" is not an end goal for a Nation. Life ain't easy.
Nor should it be a goal for individuals either, even though sadly it has become the norm.

One could see the challenge as an opportunity for the DR.
No pain, no gain.
I give up.

Reactions: jd426

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I give up.

If you are looking for a practical solution from me, that is not going to happen.

#1. I am in not in a position that lets me see all the parameters.

#2. Not my job.

#3. We could list to-do things. but the list will never be exhaustive. It would have to be a multi-pronged ongoing plan that would change over the years.

Your answer can only come from the DR government, if and when, they decide that helping Hati is also helping the DR. It all comes down to political will...... or the lack of it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I think they are already as much as they can. Until Haitians accepted that they need help and ask for it, nobody will completely commit to helping ungrateful people.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you are looking for a practical solution from me, that is not going to happen.

#1. I am in not in a position that lets me see all the parameters.

#2. Not my job.

#3. We could list to-do things. but the list will never be exhaustive. It would have to be a multi-pronged ongoing plan that would change over the years.

Your answer can only come from the DR government, if and when, they decide that helping Hati is also helping the DR. It all comes down to political will...... or the lack of it.
Got it. In summary, you don't have a clue. No disrespect, just the "obvious". Have a good evening.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Nothing short of setting up a military regime answering to us would suffice, IMHO, cuz allowing unimpeded access to the country to their refugees while the existing disorder continues its slow burn over there can only end up with a similar chaos reproducing here, until democracy dies a fiery death islandwide with the resulting strong armed regime (either coming from the masses or from the army) appearing to restore order.
"Us" who?

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Dominicans
Is Mr. Snake Dominican?

Also, I wonder what is the official definition of being "Dominican"?

One definition: a Dominican would be someone born to Dominican parents, not married to, not adopted by or by citizenship, or by simply living in the DR or by visa, residency, or even citizenship after a permanent visa. Born to Dominican parents. No? If not then what?

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
As far as I am concerned, and despite the squirmishness of the current administration to take the step, the scenario long term will be for the marines to be sent to the island yet again, either as an actual occupation force, or else, manning up the coast guards and other naval forces that will be needed to keep a blockade on the island, unless they want to see the current disorder making it's hopping island to island until it reached Florida, or nearby PR/Virgin Islands.
What business does the US have in forcing itself on yet another country?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We need THE WALL. There is no way the DR can support the overwhelming amount of Haitians looking to immigrate here.
Like all developing and developed nations, it's time to look after the people who actually contribute to the economy and not the ones who take from it.
Tough decisions but they have to be made.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Is Mr. Snake Dominican?

Also, I wonder what is the official definition of being "Dominican"?

One definition: a Dominican would be someone born to Dominican parents, not married to, not adopted by or by citizenship, or by simply living in the DR or by visa, residency, or even citizenship after a permanent visa. Born to Dominican parents. No? If not then what?

He is Dominican. The rest of your post has nothing to do with this thread.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Any discussion of government policy of the 🇩🇴 by individuals who are not able or willing to influence such policy is well...

The decision as to how the 🇩🇴GOV plans to handle the current crisis in 🇭🇹 has already been made.
For those looking for answers you can find them in the actions of 🇩🇴GOV.