DR Fistfights?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i saw few fights outside the farmacia, mainly among women. lots of hair pulling, gathers quite an audience.
fights between men generally end the same way: one pulls out a gun and the crown perishes within seconds.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
There's a simple and cultural based reason why Dominicans don't resort to their fists when an argument ensues and blood boils.

No, Dominican men in general are not cowards when it comes to a dust up. Or do they have to have something to hit you with or shoot you in case they break a nail. As Anastacio remarked.
In the US or other parts of the world you come from or grew up at, fist fights are a common way to release pent up frustration and anger and as such, not perceived as an open challenge of your foe's "masculinity".

In the DR once you hit a man with your fist, you're openly shaming him in public and de facto shaming him from walking with his head held up in the view of the public.

Using your fists is the highest insult you can produce to a man during an argument. We're a machista culture and will have none of that. Pretty much once a fist fight develops, lives are forfeited from then on. It's just a matter of whom decides to do it first, be it with a gun, machete of whatever lethal element they can get to deprive the other from life. A fist fight between grown men in the DR is a "Cronica de una muerte anunciada"...

Hitting a man with your fists is the highest ranking insult you can find here in the DR...

The only times these rules don't apply in the DR is when long time friends, family or authorities are involved.

And women... And yes! By far the women are the worst when they decide to go all out and will scare a man into backing away 100%... Unlike foreign women Dominican females are lethal, and will come back at you if you hit them or KO'ed them in public. Putas are not in that level, as they get beat up as a matter of male courtesy by their pimps and occasional client, AMET, Police, etc...

Dominican women submit to their men in public as a matter of keeping his public image as her "man", but once within the walls of the home the woman is the one that rules the jungle, period!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I think you are spot on with a lot of your post, and for sure we must generalize, to cover all is not possible. But I don't fall for the gallant, raise your fists and we must fight to the death as a sign of self respect. Most of these who get into this kind of a situation are thieves and opportunists, lazy no good losers, robbing an old lady from her last few pennies, holding up a family with children at gunpoint, beating a defenseless girl black and blue is acceptable as that is macho, he can walk down the street with his head held high, but heavens forbid he might get a slap from another man, that makes him less of a man, that means death? lol, typical sadass nonsense thinking! I somehow feel you may be right in some situations, but still a bit childish!!

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
@ Pichardo...no offense, but that just looks like an essay glorifying and excusing being a wuss.
I've seen PLENTY of examples of instances where Domincan men thought it was fine to beat on another man/ woman/ kid/ dog with fists/ bottles/ matchete etc. as long as there is no chance of repreccusions. My hand is broken right now from a 12 on 1 fight the Dominicans had no qualms about using just fists in until I dropped 4 of them and had another one on the ground. They were content playing soccer with my friends head my friend when I arrived, but after 5 of them went down, and more of our friends arrived, surprise, surprise, the pistols come out and shots were fired. I've got tons of stories that Ive been in or seen personally, not to mention what Ive seen the results of working 30 hour ER shifts and in the community. I've trained MMA with the welterweight champion of the DR on and off for a few years, he lives in the one of the worst barrios I know of around here, and he settles everything with his fists. Why? Because he can and no tiene miedo. Resorting to weapons has nothing to do with some form of unspoken machista code, it has to do with being scared.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
I would like to clear up a mistake on my part in describing the "twitch" circa 1985 which was in fact a tightening of the skeletal muscles and raising of the shoulder while having a fist clenched. Afterwards it appeared that he was going to fake a punch to make me flinch. I did what I thoguth was right at the time. That said In agree with several aspects that have been posted here. Namely you should not get in a situation in a foreign country where you have to fight, Dominican men are not cowards generally speaking, that hitting a Dominican is a grave insult apart from the physical part, and I do not think violence is a way of life is a good thing. Walk or better still run away is my best advice.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
@ Pichardo...no offense, but that just looks like an essay glorifying and excusing being a wuss.
I've seen PLENTY of examples of instances where Domincan men thought it was fine to beat on another man/ woman/ kid/ dog with fists/ bottles/ matchete etc. as long as there is no chance of repreccusions. My hand is broken right now from a 12 on 1 fight the Dominicans had no qualms about using just fists in until I dropped 4 of them and had another one on the ground. They were content playing soccer with my friends head my friend when I arrived, but after 5 of them went down, and more of our friends arrived, surprise, surprise, the pistols come out and shots were fired. I've got tons of stories that Ive been in or seen personally, not to mention what Ive seen the results of working 30 hour ER shifts and in the community. I've trained MMA with the welterweight champion of the DR on and off for a few years, he lives in the one of the worst barrios I know of around here, and he settles everything with his fists. Why? Because he can and no tiene miedo. Resorting to weapons has nothing to do with some form of unspoken machista code, it has to do with being scared.

Pichardo is spot on, Dominicans try to deflect a fight until there's no solution because from that point on it is a gun fight. Fist Fights are a waste of time and and precursor to something more serious in the DR.

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
ExtremeR:
1.On your first point, I would agree with your first point totally if you added "fair" inbetween "a" and "fight
2. 2nd point, Completely agree, but sometimes there is no other way

I've seen countless violent confrontations here, but not once have I seen TWO men go toe to toe

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
What I do know is that most Dominican men thrive on their image, I think that they will fist fight another man only if they think that they can beat him. Any chance of getting an ass whooping and they are not going to try it. They would never be able to walk the streets again after that......jam?s.
The exception to this are DomYorks of course, who will knock your ass out over a Nemo or whatever else they feel like knocking you out for.

SHALENA

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
**begin David Attenbrough narration**
Dominican females are lethal, and will come back at you if you hit them or KO'ed them in public. Putas are not in that level, as they get beat up as a matter of male courtesy by their pimps and occasional client, AMET, Police, etc...!
**end David Attenbrough narration**

Away on holiday in DR a few years back, and me and a couple of guys i met on the resort <insert witty quote comment here>were a bit afraid of leaving the resort, listened to bull**** from the travel reps i guess.

Basically i took them around the town for the evening, anyway, round about 4 o clock in the morning we were walking back from the local nightlife, as some dirty "vieja puta" she must of been, generously 50, mini skirt on, big hooped earrings, just the stereotypical image as sheep trying to be mutton, she attacked aggressively with a glass bottle, or tried too, as one of the lads turned round and "knocked her th' 'uck out" :laugh: All of a sudden, a tribe of motoconchos were at the scene, but they wernt the normal yamaha or suzuki bikes they used, these were 4 guys on motocross bikes. They shouted us to get on to their motorbikes and took us away from the scene, at first it was a bit daunting, like where we were going etc, finally after about 30minutes journey, we arrive at a building, no sign of life anywhere, as i was ****ting myself they opened the door, and there was a huge party on, they invited us to relax and just meet "mi amigos". haha

Anyway they took us back to the resort, and as we were leaving, they apologised, and said you wont see that woman or us again.

:confused:

This was probably one of the weirder nights of my life in the DR , and i've had a few.

BR