DR Internet

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
What are you all doing for internet?

I am moving to Maimon Puerto Plata and need high speed internet for work.

While I was in the country in December 19, I was basically robbed by Altice when they sold me an 18 month contract (5mb down) service, which in reality ended up being a 1mb down due to a glitch in the Altice system which they could not fix.

I ended up having to cancel that contract, and need something more reliable, and also something that isn't going to be throttled to 100kb once I use 100 gb of data.

I've heard good things about Claro, what are the other options for residential internet? Are there better options if I open a business?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Along the southern tier, I currently use Altice, which is a combination of the former Orange and Tricom services. No troubles to report on my end. I am quite satisfied with the services rendered by them.

Reactions: csteinwand

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
Along the southern tier, I currently use Altice, which is a combination of the former Orange and Tricom services. No troubles to report on my end. I am quite satisfied with the services rendered by them.
I take it you don't have any problems with throttling? Or you don't use that much data?

Reactions: Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I take it you don't have any problems with throttling? Or you don't use that much data?

I must admit I had no idea what your reference to "throttling" was. My generation used that term for something other than technology.

As a service to the DR1 community, I provide the following:

"Bandwidth throttling is the intentional slowing or speeding of an internet service by an Internet service provider (ISP). It is a reactive measure employed in communication networks to regulate network traffic and minimize bandwidth congestion."

Now to answer your question, I have had no issues with throttling, whether it be the new definition or old. ;)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I had altice for a while as well ( not to far from maimon actually )....... it worked well for a bit and then it was bloody terrible ------ ping would go all over the place, 80ms to 700ms for no apparent reason, then at night around 1 or 2 am the internet would crawl to a standstill, technical assistance was clueless------ and the nitwits still expected me to pay...... lol Sue me, you worthless idiots !!!!!

Now i am back with local cable TV for internet, and fingers crossed, it is ok and cheap-ish.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I had Claro and switched to Altice. Much happier with Altice.

I'm guessing that it's a local thing. Here in Boca Chica and while I was in San Pedro Altice rocks. But evidently not up north.
Everyone we know in Santo Domingo uses Claro, many despise Altice. But where we live, the beach in San Cristobal, Altice gives a MUCH BETTER signal/service, it’s not even close.
It depends on where the towers are. Or if you’re lucky enough to get wired.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
I had altice for a while as well ( not to far from maimon actually )....... it worked well for a bit and then it was bloody terrible ------ ping would go all over the place, 80ms to 700ms for no apparent reason, then at night around 1 or 2 am the internet would crawl to a standstill, technical assistance was clueless------ and the nitwits still expected me to pay...... lol Sue me, you worthless idiots !!!!!

Now i am back with local cable TV for internet, and fingers crossed, it is ok and cheap-ish.
I had to pay something like 7000 pesos to cancel service that didn't even work lol, some things are so backwards

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
What's your definition of high speed?
Fiber would be ideal, but I'm sure it will be years, if at all. We live right next to Amber Cove so I don't think it would be too far out of the question to get fiber at some point.
I just need something that is 5 - 10mbs or greater, which won't be throttled to 100kbs after I use too much data. I am a software engineer working from the US, so I need the internet to be solid for our video conferencing

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Fiber would be ideal, but I'm sure it will be years, if at all. We live right next to Amber Cove so I don't think it would be too far out of the question to get fiber at some point.
I just need something that is 5 - 10mbs or greater, which won't be throttled to 100kbs after I use too much data. I am a software engineer working from the US, so I need the internet to be solid for our video conferencing

Did you investigate any of this before your arrival, or did you just assume it would be ready for you here?

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
Did you investigate any of this before your arrival, or did you just assume it would be ready for you here?
I've been fighting with this since December, just looking for recommendations as I can't be the only one in the DR that streams games, movies and works from home...

I've got three options already I can go ahead with...

Altice 5mbs, but horrible support
Claro 30mbs, but may have issues with signal where I'm at
Click Wireless 20mbs, apparently good, no throttle

But talk is cheap

Administration

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
dr1.com
Internet in California is way faster. But in the US I always get business class internet, dealing with "residential account" bs is a pain. I don't know if there is a distinction in DR between residential and business internet.

But it depends on what your connecting to. In San Jose I can get 12ms latency between servers across the USA, but here could 150ms, 250ms. If the server is in Europe you probably have to go the US first and then Europe. underwater stuff. :)
Altice used to be pretty crappy but it's been alot better in the past year, for me anyway. Altice is French Company and Claro is a Mexican company Claro is possibly better but I haven't used it.
Here's an "internet speed test" i just did on altice.

Attachments

• 2020-05-13_21-42.png
    2020-05-13_21-42.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 337

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
Internet in California is way faster. But in the US I always get business class internet, dealing with "residential account" bs is a pain. I don't know if there is a distinction in DR between residential and business internet.

But it depends on what your connecting to. In San Jose I can get 12ms latency between servers across the USA, but here could 150ms, 250ms. If the server is in Europe you probably have to go the US first and then Europe. underwater stuff. :)
Altice used to be pretty crappy but it's been alot better in the past year, for me anyway. Altice is French Company and Claro is a Mexican company Claro is possibly better but I haven't used it.
Where in DR are you getting that speed?

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I live in the middle of nowhere, a campo, and was shopping around after I ditched altice ( to whom i didn't pay a dome, btw----- they even had the nerve to ask if i was keeping the TV part even though i didn't want their internet ), and this particular provider says they have fiber ( 3M/s, 5, 10 or 20 )........ i was doubtful, but i was mainly interested in the ping ( i am a " gamer " ).
They called out a different " technician" who said " very stable very good, 3 mega plan= 3ms ping....." lol !!!!!!!

Administration

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
dr1.com
I've been fighting with this since December, just looking for recommendations as I can't be the only one in the DR that streams games, movies and works from home...

I've got three options already I can go ahead with...

Altice 5mbs, but horrible support
Claro 30mbs, but may have issues with signal where I'm at
Click Wireless 20mbs, apparently good, no throttle

But talk is cheap

If you're talking about wireless, you need to know that almost all the buildings here are made with thick dense concrete that wrecks wifi signals. The old school 33 cm wavelength would go right through the walls no problem but modern 12cm/6cm (2.4G/5Ghz) forget it. Short wavelengths do not travel through solids. They are supposedly putting high frequency networks here, with wavelengths in millimeter range, which totally won't go through cement. :) But you can find a good long range repeater to put on the roof.

Reactions: Caonabo

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
If you're talking about wireless, you need to know that almost all the buildings here are made with thick dense concrete that wrecks wifi signals. The old school 33 cm wavelength would go right through the walls no problem but modern 12cm/6cm (2.4G/5Ghz) forget it. Short wavelengths do not travel through solids. They are supposedly putting high frequency networks here, with wavelengths in millimeter range, which totally won't go through cement. :) But you can find a good long range repeater to put on the roof.
My office is on the roof 😀

I've had my house there since 2006, I know about the construction. Can't get a signal two rooms over haha. Plenty of access points work though

malko

Jan 12, 2013

That's crazy fast internet. What altice plan is it ?

I get a better ping on claro 3g than i did with altice....... ( around 160ms vs 250+ on N/A and S/A servers ------- no need to say altice was unusable for gaming )