DR is 64th on QOL index

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
well i guess this is not a well liked subject or one that would inspire some positive thinking..

moderator plz delete......

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'd like to understand their specific criteria in each category.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
interesting that the US "Land of the Free" only scores a 92 for "Freedom", and Puerto Rico, which is basically the USA without the right to vote, scores a 100...

another interesting tidbit... the DR jumped the most positions of any country (50 spots) in overall ranking from 2006...

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
interesting that the US "Land of the Free" only scores a 92 for "Freedom", and Puerto Rico, which is basically the USA without the right to vote, scores a 100...
Possibly the freedom from paying US Federal Income Tax in Puerto Rico?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I'd like to understand their specific criteria in each category.

I did a little further reading of the company and it is not an NGO. It is a for profit company that sells seminars on how to invest in other countries. It even buys properties and then sells it. I my view the index is tilted to where the company feels it will get the biggest bang for the buck.

The company was founded by Bill Bonner a libertarian financial author. I think Cobraboy will be a happy camper now.;)

The link will take you to a profile of the company.

International Living has created an empire selling customers paradise

Last edited:

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Either these people have their own agenda, or they are totally devoid of common sense. Even a casual glance at some of the scores reveals them to be absurd.

A much more scientifically based survey, with the criteria explained in detail came from the Economist Intelligence Unit:
http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/QUALITY_OF_LIFE.pdf

Unfortunately the version I have seen dates back to 2005. Anyone know if a later version exists?

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Either these people have their own agenda, or they are totally devoid of common sense. Even a casual glance at some of the scores reveals them to be absurd.

A much more scientifically based survey, with the criteria explained in detail came from the Economist Intelligence Unit:
http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/QUALITY_OF_LIFE.pdf

Unfortunately the version I have seen dates back to 2005. Anyone know if a later version exists?

Besides the Economist the link will take you to a list of more reputable organizations that have a quality of life index than the OP.

Quality of life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Notice the article has France as number 1, where as the highest they get in other studies is 16th place. Quality of Life is very subjective. Based on what parameters you use, or other measuring methods you USE, you can a study to say whatever you want it to; just like loaded questions in a poll(Right, Nals)
My quality of life issues would be much different than the next persons.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i figured someone had an agenda on this index....but very interesting reading...i wish there was a further breakdown on what goes into each category...