DR to Ban Plastics in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
Hope this is true for the DR. They desperately needs to rid the island of all this crap. When there's big reusable bags at the supermarket for 50 - 100 pesos. There's no excuse. One step at a time though. If there's no plastic bags around, I fear their will just be more spilled out garbage on the streets instead of wrapped up in those supermarket plastic bags. Everyone will have to bring their own glass to colmados, etc to share a jumbo now haha (doubt it) but that'd be funny.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Hope this is true for the DR. They desperately needs to rid the island of all this crap. When there's big reusable bags at the supermarket for 50 - 100 pesos. There's no excuse. One step at a time though. If there's no plastic bags around, I fear their will just be more spilled out garbage on the streets instead of wrapped up in those supermarket plastic bags. Everyone will have to bring their own glass to colmados, etc to share a jumbo now haha (doubt it) but that'd be funny.

..I bought the big reusable ones from Pricemart, 4 years and still in use..about the colmado and the grande problem.. do what we did in high school, everybody used the same bottle..

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Fake news ? This country could not survive without plastic bags and Styrofoam

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
Wife told me just now all week they've been doing announcements in the streets saying they're doing it... So that's a good sign. She said some of the places already aren't receiving bags and just using whatever they have left according to her. This is in cotui. I don't know about other parts.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You would think a change as significant as this would be on every news and talk show on both TV and radio. I've heard nothing, seen no signs in the local grocery stores nor have I seen cases of reusable bags to be purchased for use on Jan 2.

Not something that should be able sneak up on you and be in full swing in three weeks.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
That moment at the colmado when they put your---- cigarette pack/insert what3ver ----- in a small pink stripped plastic bag and then in a big black plastic bag........

They look at me as if i am crazy when i say no need, think of the planet.....

Would be an enormous step forward...... but i ll believe when i see it :/

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How will I perform Poopy Dooty? One bag a glove, one bag a holder...

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Looks like my photos of animals in a sea of garbage will now be valuable. Only took them to prove a point.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Jan 1 2020?

Costa Rica is banning single use plastic by 2021. I think somebody got their stories mixed up.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Jan 1 2020?

Costa Rica is banning single use plastic by 2021. I think somebody got their stories mixed up.

Maybe the article meant “beginning” January 1st?

If they do it like many municipalities in the US, bags will still be available in stores but people have to pay for them individually.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Jan 1 2020?

From the article in the OP, unless it is fake news:

Seven countries in the Caribbean region will ban the use of single-use plastic from January 1st, 2020.
Starting January 1st, 2020, single-use plastics and polystyrene will be banned in seven Caribbean countries
, with the main objective of preventing ocean pollution which directly affects different marine species.

Unfortunately, the Caribbean has been highlighted as one of the most polluted regions in the world, so this measure is intended to prevent the degradation of their marine habitat that would cause a health and food security risk for some 40 million people living in coastal areas.

Which Countries Will Ban The Use Of Plastic?
Jamaica, Belize, Barbados, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Trinidad and Tobago and the Bahamas are the countries that will ban the import and use of single-use plastics and polystyrene starting on January 1st, 2020.

Importance
An average of 5 billion plastic bags made from petroleum products are consumed each year, most of these items could take hundreds of years to degrade.

Facts
Of the world’s thirty largest per capita polluters of this type of plastic, ten are of the Caribbean region.

Trinidad and Tobago produces 1.5 kilograms of plastic waste per person per day, the highest in the world.

It is estimated that about a quarter of a kilo of that ends up on that country’s coasts because of inadequate plastic waste treatment processes.

Each year more than 300,000 tons of plastic waste in the Caribbean are not collected, and much is dumped into the water.

UN Environment reported that 4 million plastic scraps were collected in coastal areas between 2006 and 2012 in the Caribbean.

Contamination by plastic waste will affect small Caribbean countries with special intensity over the years.

The Bahamian government estimates that the current rate of plastic pollution could cause tourism losses of up to US$10 million per year.

The Yucatan Times
Newsroom

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Seems somebody confused Dominica with Dominican Republic in the news article, here is another press release with omits RD

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico.- Seven countries in the Caribbean, the region that pollutes the most per capita in the world, will prohibit as of January 1, single-use plastics and expanded polystyrene to prevent the degradation of its coasts in the face of grave danger of contamination

Jamaica, Belize, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Trinidad and Tobago and the Bahamas, as of January 1, 2020, prohibit the import and use of single-use plastics and polystyrene.

With this, the Caribbean region plans to avoid the degradation of its marine habitat that would cause a risk to health and food security of about 40 million people living in coastal areas, in addition to invaluable economic losses.

The information does not include the Dominican Republic, whose authorities are expected to explain to citizens what such omission is due to or, if deliberate, the causes for which the country is not part of this applauded initiative.

https://acento.com.do/2019/actualidad/8756245-paises-del-caribe-prohibiran-plasticos-de-un-solo-uso-a-partir-de-enero/

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
etolw, Good catch. That would certainly explain why there has been no rioting in the streets in the DR and nothing in the news about it. Dominica, not Dominican Republic. It happens.

Who expects the DR authorities to say one word about this lack of participation and "explain it " to their people?
Good luck with that.

Last edited:

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
How will I perform Poopy Dooty? One bag a glove, one bag a holder...

Hoping all this is true, I'll admit I use bags from La Sirena / Jumbo as gloves when cleaning/something when we're out of actual plastic gloves. That being said, our neighbours (with two dogs), use these very small compostable bags to collect the poop of their dogs. I have no idea where they get them (I suppose Pricesmart or something...) though...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hoping all this is true, I'll admit I use bags from La Sirena / Jumbo as gloves when cleaning/something when we're out of actual plastic gloves. That being said, our neighbours (with two dogs), use these very small compostable bags to collect the poop of their dogs. I have no idea where they get them (I suppose Pricesmart or something...) though...

Turns out the Dominican Republic is not part of this plastic ban.

Maybe the government will explain why, but don't hold your breath on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.