DR to Ban Plastics in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
eating chicken and rice out of a styrofoam box and throwing it on the side of the road is as much a national pastime as baseball

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Turns out the Dominican Republic is not part of this plastic ban.

Maybe the government will explain why, but don't hold your breath on that.

I started a thread on David Collado this morning.

He announced on his Facebook page that the city of Santo Domingo has adapted the same resolution and signed it into law.

Since he's not going to be around much longer, his replacement should have a lot of fun with that one.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I started a thread on David Collado this morning.

He announced on his Facebook page that the city of Santo Domingo has adapted the same resolution and signed it into law.

Since he's not going to be around much longer, his replacement should have a lot of fun with that one.

Not the same resolution, this covers only substitution of plastic straws, resolución 47-2019

Mayor of the National District takes a step in favor of the environment and sustainability and approves resolution 47-2019 to reduce the use of plastic materials, starting with plastic straws.

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ciudad/regidores-de-la-capital-aprueban-resolucion-para-descontinuar-uso-de-sorbetes-plasticos-EH15560499

McDonalds have had a bumpy road doing this in Europe, but they are beginning to figure out how to do it without angry customers
https://www.environmentalleader.com/2019/11/mcdonalds-redesigns-paper-straws/

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Not the same resolution, this covers only substitution of plastic straws, resolución 47-2019

Mayor of the National District takes a step in favor of the environment and sustainability and approves resolution 47-2019 to reduce the use of plastic materials, starting with plastic straws.

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ciudad/regidores-de-la-capital-aprueban-resolucion-para-descontinuar-uso-de-sorbetes-plasticos-EH15560499

McDonalds have had a bumpy road doing this in Europe, but they are beginning to figure out how to do it without angry customers
https://www.environmentalleader.com/2019/11/mcdonalds-redesigns-paper-straws/

Right you are. I misread his Facebook page this morning.

I stand corrected.

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
I am a surfer from Boca Chica and we hate Mondays. That's because weekend Styrofoam garbage gets washed along the break towards the sea. But if the plastic gets banned the beach restaurants will spread food poisoning. They don't have adequate dish-washing facilities.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Hope this is true for the DR. They desperately needs to rid the island of all this crap. When there's big reusable bags at the supermarket for 50 - 100 pesos. There's no excuse. One step at a time though. If there's no plastic bags around, I fear their will just be more spilled out garbage on the streets instead of wrapped up in those supermarket plastic bags. Everyone will have to bring their own glass to colmados, etc to share a jumbo now haha (doubt it) but that'd be funny.

I never understood why people would want to drink beer from a plastic or foam cup. I often bring my own glass for that reason. Also, I do not understand the purpose of the store giving you a bag for ONE item. What is the point. Just carry it in your hand!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I never understood why people would want to drink beer from a plastic or foam cup. I often bring my own glass for that reason. Also, I do not understand the purpose of the store giving you a bag for ONE item. What is the point. Just carry it in your hand!

The reason is very simple. Dominicans (that I know who do this) demand a plastic cup because they think it is cleaner than a glass.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
This issue has a different meaning to me home in Canada than it does in the DR. All of my plastic bags at home are used for household garbage and ultimately wind up in a landfill. Now I will have to purchase plastic bags for that purpose. Hardly mission accomplished.

In the DR, I have the suspicion that is not always the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.