DR to be first country in the region to have a charging station for electric vehicles

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Rolando-Gonzalez-Bunster-Acento-1024x578.png

According to businessman Rolando Gonzalez Bunster, the Dominican Republic will have, in Punta Cana, the first “refueling” station for electric vehicles. The well-known businessman with a long history of involvement in the Dominican electricity sector (EGE Haina and the electricity for Punta Cana and Bavaro) told reporters that the new charging station will be supplied with solar energy, and on cloudy days, there will be batteries to supply the demand. He noted that there are some 8,000 electric vehicles in the Dominican Republic, many more than in all of Argentina, for example. He said more people are buying electric vehicles every day. Gonzalez Bunster said that the US$7 million facility is nearing completion and will be called “Electrolinero Evergo.”

Gonzalez Bunster shared the news of this new facility during the 14th Ibero-American Business Meeting that preceded the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 9, 2004
I'm confused. I live in Puerto Plata and there are several locations where you can charge an electric vehicle. Or is this like a large complex with multiple charging units on-site?
I believe he means a charging station dedicated solely to charging, not a charging station ancillary to a business i.e., charging stations in mall/plaza/bank parking lots.

Hopefully it will be sited on a well traveled highway and they will eventually add them across the country as time and consumer demand permit.

I am sourcing more EV's for clients in the DR than I ever thought possible.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I believe he means a charging station dedicated solely to charging, not a charging station ancillary to a business i.e., charging stations in mall/plaza/bank parking lots.

Hopefully it will be sited on a well traveled highway and they will eventually add them across the country as time and consumer demand permit.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Which EV's are they importing and how much does it cost for shipping and getting title?

Jan 9, 2004
Which EV's are they importing and how much does it cost for shipping and getting title?
Nissan Leaf.

Shipping costs vary depending on purchase point. The larger problem is now finding them at a reasonable price used. The cost basis on the last 12 I shipped was an average $10,200 per vehicle with an average shipping cost of $1,300 per car. All went to a tourist project in the east with special government tax reduction incentives for being a) part of a tourist project and b) full electric vehicles.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
That doesn't make much sense to me. What are people supposed to do while their vehicles are charging?

And this guy is associated with Evergo, which are the folks installing charging stations all over the island.

Jan 9, 2004
That doesn't make much sense to me. What are people supposed to do while their vehicles are charging?

And this guy is associated with Evergo, which are the folks installing charging stations all over the island.
I would imagine that a convenience store or some other attraction will be a part of the overall future plan. But at this point, anything beyond pure charging and perhaps selling water/snacks is not going to happen until they have larger demand.......read that as more customers.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I wonder who's already working on a car battery recycling business? That's right around the corner.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I would imagine that a convenience store or some other attraction will be a part of the overall future plan. But at this point, anything beyond pure charging and perhaps selling water/snacks is not going to happen until they have larger demand.......read that as more customers.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
That makes sense to me. Think of the money these people would spend while charging their cars.

I have a friend in England who owns some petrol (gasoline) stations. In the UK they are all self-service, so all customers have to enter the place where they pay and where there are also convenience stores and cafeterias. He say he make no money on the petrol at all - just on the accompanying sales.

Jan 9, 2004
I wonder who's already working on a car battery recycling business? That's right around the corner.
That business most likely will not be profitable in the DR until a) there are lots of EV's and b) their batteries start to fail. Average life for a full EV vehicle battery is ten years. At that point there might be a viable business.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
They should not be allowed to install not a single one of these stations until every single home in this country has access to running electricity 24hrs a day/ 7 days a week.
Do not confuse the government with private enterprise.

Unless and until the government privatizes both the generation and distribution of electricity the status quo will continue.......with CEPM in the east being the model.

The charging stations are and have been installed with private non government monies.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Do not confuse the government with private enterprise.

Unless and until the government privatizes both the generation and distribution of electricity the status quo will continue.......with CEPM in the east being the model.

The charging stations are and have been installed with private non government monies.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Point well made.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
In my experience with the electrical grid in the Dominican Republic...

My Dominican friends accept that "it is what it is"...as do I.
They endure the interruptions in service and the prices.
Those who can afford it take matters into their own hands provide back up power in case of outages or in some cases grid tied solar power generation systems.
So, I am unsure if there is really going to be a push for electrical improvement as long things don't get worse than they are.

On the other hand...
Rest assured that the new charging stations will not have any problems with electrical interruptions from the grid.
And if they do they will have the systems in place to deal with it.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
If you could have experienced the electric situation here in the past you'd have a good understanding of why they have that attitude. :LOL:

• Haha