DR World leader in C sections per birth

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Home births are traditionally attended by informal midwives (parteras or comadronas) but home births are rare these days. The vast majority of women (98% according to ONE, UNDP, Unicef etc.) give birth in hospitals/clinics and there is no formal profession of midwife - babies are delivered by doctors, supported by nurses.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Sadly, I suspect this is true. No first hand knowledge, but haitian women won't go the hospital unless it is is a mortal emergency for just this reason. Although after you give birth to one or two, it's sort of a non-event.

Really, then why are so many Haitian babies born in Dominican hospitals. Also if you go to any public hospital waiting room or emergency there are always lots of Haitians there.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
No midwifes? Huh? What country are you in? the place is full of them. Most of my family was delivered with midwife. Just about everyone's grandma is a midwife. Those with C sections just don't want to go through the pain and doctors know that a healthy child is more probable when using C sections.

There is more evidence suggesting that a natural birth is better for the baby, and the “superior safety of the c- section” is a myth in modern medicine. Only in certain situations is it safer, such as multiple births, breach babies, or in premature births.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Really, then why are so many Haitian babies born in Dominican hospitals. Also if you go to any public hospital waiting room or emergency there are always lots of Haitians there.

I'm only relaying the common barrio "wisdom", that you take your chances on and after the 3rd baby when you go to hospital. You'll most likely survive, your baby will most likely survive, but that may be your last baby.

In preventing maternal deaths in Nicaragua, it was the first-time mothers and women with >5 births that were at the most risk and we targeted those women for upgraded care. The reduction in deaths was dramatic.

I don't have any data on the demographics of DR hospital births. It would be wrong to even speculate.

However, I do know many of the Haitian women gave birth in their casitas.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I had twins naturally, and the second baby was frank breach. I was given the choice to have an epidural, which increased the possibility of a natural birth for me. If the first baby was born without any problem and the second baby was in trouble (ex: breathing problems, breach etc.), it would have been a C-section automatically to avoid risk to me and the baby. So double the healing. I had to deliver in the OR, in case of any unforeseen problems so that a C-section could be quickly performed if necessary. Thankfully, I had the epidural, and both babies are healthy and strong almost 2 years later. I was given options in a realistic, informed, and honest manner. I wasn't pressured or convinced one option was better, but rather given relevent, up-to-date possibilities and facts. I was allowed to make my own decision.

Had I been in the DR, I would have been given one option: C-section. Canadian doctors in my province do not allow a scheduled C-section prior to 40 weeks unless there is an established, imminent risk to the mother and the baby(ies). This is because current medical research proves that natural birth is the best option when there is no danger beforehand.