DR1 impetus for Dominican nationalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexx

Jul 11, 2014
I cant stand dominican nationalism

actually I cant stand any nationalism

You got to have pride in where you come from and/or the country to which you pledged an oath. I would defend the US just as vehemently. Nationalism isn't necessarily a bad thing. Having a nation or two to call your own is a kin to that feeling you get when have that first night sleep in your bed after a long vacation. I've been to a few places and nothing feels like NY and DR.

R3cycle

Sep 20, 2013
Nationalism is the worst enemy of peace.
Nationalism is a feeling that one?s country is superior to another in all respects
Nationalism cannot tolerate any criticism and considers it an insult.
Nationalism implies that only the people belonging to one?s own country should be considered "the one?s".

nexx

Jul 11, 2014
Nationalism is a feeling that one’s country is superior to another in all respects
Nationalism implies that only the people belonging to one’s own country should be considered "the one’s".

I disagree. What's your alternative? One world government? Or an empire led by who?

It's unattainable, unfeasible, unstable. I do not see that happening. The EU is the closest thing we got right now and is in a sorts of controlled chaos. The greeks, spanish, italians have 50% unemployment. Have you ever heard of large fortune 1000 (world) companies with only one department (nation)? Organizations have to compartmentalized to run smoothly and be effective.

Enemy of peace is arrogance, greed and selfishness which are not traits of nationalism.
Like in any circumstance criticism should be communicated in a respectful manner.
Your last point is interesting but luckily you have the process available to become a citizen of most countries.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Nationalism is a feeling that one’s country is superior to another in all respects
Nationalism implies that only the people belonging to one’s own country should be considered "the one’s".

This is true in many cases, but not always. For example, Dominicans don't feel they are the best country in the world like Americans, who believe they can do no wrong. Dominicans feel they should be proud of their country and don't feel it is correct to pressure them to accept what they consider immoral laws like abortion and homosexual indoctrination. Furthermore, they don't like foreign intervention regarding the immigration issue with Haiti because unlike the international community they are still reminded that Haiti once occupied this country and slaughtered it's citizens who did not oppose them. They also know that the international community does not care about Haitians either, whether in the DR or in Haiti, and no it will be up to Dominicans as usual to help Haiti more than any other country. In other words put up or shut up.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
This is true in many cases, but not always. For example, Dominicans don't feel they are the best country in the world like Americans, who believe they can do no wrong. Dominicans feel they should be proud of their country and don't feel it is correct to pressure them to accept what they consider immoral laws like abortion and homosexual indoctrination. Furthermore, they don't like foreign intervention regarding the immigration issue with Haiti because unlike the international community they are still reminded that Haiti once occupied this country and slaughtered it's citizens who did not oppose them. They also know that the international community does not care about Haitians either, whether in the DR or in Haiti, and no it will be up to Dominicans as usual to help Haiti more than any other country. In other words put up or shut up.

You're right...........shut up..............

Parsley Massacre: The Genocide That Still Haunts Haiti-Dominican Relations

B in Santiago

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Nationalism is a feeling that one?s country is superior to another in all respects
Nationalism implies that only the people belonging to one?s own country should be considered "the one?s".

This highlights the difference between nationalism and patriotism. I think people may be confusing the two. I would say most Dominicans are patriotic not nationalists.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Dominicans might not feel as though they are the best country in the world, but they do feel that they are superior to several other people, such as the Haitians, and all other caribbean people. that is a fact. you should know that if you have such intimate knowledge of them.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Dominicans might not feel as though they are the best country in the world, but they do feel that they are superior to several other people, such as the Haitians, and all other Caribbean people. that is a fact. you should know that if you have such intimate knowledge of them.

Haitian I knew, but I didn't get that impressions for the rest of the Caribbean (but I could be wrong).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Dominicans might not feel as though they are the best country in the world, but they do feel that they are superior to several other people, such as the Haitians, and all other caribbean people. that is a fact. you should know that if you have such intimate knowledge of them.

Not saying I agree with you but I only stated that Dominicans weren't like Americans.

If some Dominicans felt they are more superior as a nation than Haiti, who could blame them? After all Haiti invaded them and tried to dominate them and were kicked out and have a disastrous government that is even worse than the DR with people so poor they need to come to the DR by the millions.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006

This isn't true. In terms of Haitians, yes. Sadly this is often true but there are a lot of historic and social reasons for this. But Dominicans have a lot of respect for Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and Jamaicans (especially musically). They know very little about the other nations to have any opinion on them.

Aug 6, 2006
Nationalism is not the same thing as chauvinism.
It is not the same as patriotism, either, though all three are related.

Patriotism is a feeling of familiar affection for your country, its people, customs and culture, and especially symbols.
Nationalism is pride in the place where you are from.
Chauvinism is the belief that your country is best at everything and the standard that all other countries should follow.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
HIS Greatest Gift

There's no greater gift from God to men in this world than having the grace of having been born a Dominican!

HIS greatest gift, however, is when and if they are sucessfull in getting a visa to leave the country... :laugh:

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Patriotism is a feeling of familiar affection for your country, its people, customs and culture, and especially symbols.
Chauvinism is the belief that your country is best at everything and the standard that all other countries should follow.

I have also seen nationalism defined as extreme patriotism with a feeling of superiority over other nations.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Mattress Quality

Nationalism isn't necessarily a bad thing.(...) that feeling you get when have that first night sleep in your bed after a long vacation. I've been to a few places and nothing feels like NY and DR.

Well, considering the problems nationalism has brought to so many countries, I'd say a good first night sleep more depends on the woman next to you and - of course - the quality of the mattress.... :bunny:

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dominican 150%

(...) I only stated that Dominicans weren't like Americans.

However, most of them emulate Americans and try to copy their life style.
More or less just like you in reverse... :squareeye

donP

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago

Can you add jingoism too. Jingoism is patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy.[1] Jingoism also refers to a country's advocation of the use of threats or actual force against peaceful relations, either economic or political, with other countries in order to safeguard what it perceives as its national interests. Colloquially, it refers to excessive bias in judging one's own country as superior to others—an extreme type of nationalism.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I disagree I think Dominicans try to emulate European "lifestyle"

I don't see that at all. I see the "American Dream" for most Dominicans. They still love their country but would prefer to love it from afar in the USA. Take PICHARDO and NALS for examples.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
I don't see that at all. I see the "American Dream" for most Dominicans. They still love their country but would prefer to love it from afar in the USA. Take PICHARDO and NALS for examples.

Could you define the American dream, so some us can understand.

Aug 6, 2006
The Dominican dream involves winning the loteria. At least for the average Dominican, who is poor.
?Ay, las cosas que comprar?a, que sue?o!

Americans are a diverse people, and the American Dream varies depending on the person.

Status
Not open for further replies.