• Yes

Votes: 54 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 41 43.2%

• Total voters

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
It seems like one can't even mention a crime or negative economic comment regarding the Dominican Republic without a couple of paranoid freaks calling them doom and gloomers who are predicting the collapse of the Dominican Republic. :paranoid::ermm::tired:

That is why many of us just prefer to keep politely silent. Not to be attacked right away by the same six-seven posters. Or by one poster with six-seven names.
Looks like all seven of them never sleep. They attack all together within five minutes of a post mentionning a new crime or violence against a tourist or expat.

I love them anyway, but it is sad...:ermm:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

That is why many of us just prefer to keep politely silent. Not to be attacked right away by the same six-seven posters. Or by one poster with six-seven names.
Looks like all seven of them never sleep. They attack all together within five minutes of a post mentionning a new crime or violence against a tourist or expat.

I love them anyway, but it is sad...:ermm:

What's sad, AK74, is the terrible percentage of bad, misleading posts you've made in relation to your total posting history. I'd say you're batting almost 1.000, meaning very little you type has any semblance of accuracy or genuine value.

It's not just on issues of security. You constantly give folks a bad steer on cars, hotels, restaurants, roads, locals, localities. There frankly seems to be very little in DR you have a realistic comprehension of.

Other than "freedoms of sex without prosecution, cheap foods and swimming in ocean," that is. I'd stick to that, instead of giving (yet more) really bad advice to people.

That, frankly, is one of the most dangerous things in DR, and the reason I'm so critical of your posts. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but your facts are just plain wrong. Your unending quest to relay bad information could get people lost, broke, hurt, or worse, and it's unbelievably irresponsible of you to do so. :tired::tired::tired:

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
1. All DR1 members are welcome to comment in any thread, however personal attacks towards anyone will not be tolerated. Any post of any member that is nothing more than an attack on anyone else will be deleted.

Rules of Poll's Forum

-NALs

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I?m not paranoid,I?m convinced!

Probably 99% of "DR1ers" don?t,or most likely can?t,read, or don?t have access to, Dominican Newspapers.
And since DR1 doesn?t permit us to post anything "Negative" or about "crime" in the DR most of you will never know the REAL TRUTH about the rising "Crime Wave" in the DR!!!!
The "Newspapers" here DO! So do the MANY news programs!
?Nals?lives in the US so really has no idea about what is happening here!Those of us who have actually lived here for 20 years or more DO! Even 10 years agho it wasn?t that bad. The "Drug Culture" has changed all that! In the "Old Days", Dominicans just trans-shipped drugs fro South America to the rest of the world. Now they are big consumer themselves. With that comes the robberies,killings,and yes those "Kidnappings" that Nals doesn?t know about,or most likely doesn?t want to admit to. After all,he is the resident Pro-DR ... "SPIN DOCTOR"!
Cris ColonCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

And if you don?t,or won?t, believe me,just ask "HillBilly"!

Reactions: Malibook

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
......and would you say the rest of the world had also changed in the last 10 years

very good response :ermm: I mean everything changes, the world, countries - but a fact is that DR has not changed to the better since I have been here. I do not know about ten years since I have only been here 8.

My last post got deleted, maybe I got a little upset when there is a poll about "DR1 Paranoia" 1 day after a man got killed and his wife raped in Procab Cabarete - a "gated" community. What do you think we talk about, that actually live here? Is that paranoia?

DR - still more pros than cons.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
very good response :ermm: I mean everything changes, the world, countries - but a fact is that DR has not changed to the better since I have been here. I do not know about ten years since I have only been here 8.

My last post got deleted, maybe I got a little upset when there is a poll about "DR1 Paranoia" 1 day after a man got killed and his wife raped in Procab Cabarete - a "gated" community. What do you think we talk about, that actually live here? Is that paranoia?

DR - still more pros than cons.
Perception and reality are not always mutually inclusive.

You have to know what some people are actually saying to understand them.

Has things gotten worst in the past 8 years? No, not really.

Do people perceive it to be getting worst? Yes.

Why? Fallacious reasonings.

How were things in 1998? Peachy. Really, it was peachy. No bars on windows, few worries. People used to talk about why the DR, with such inequality, was so safe. It didn't made sense.

How were things in 2000? Peachy still, but there were tale tale signs that something was not right.

How were things in the 2001-2005 period? Not good at all. Crime skyrokected to levels never seen before, everyone feared for their life, and the perception the newspaper created actually coincided with the data.

How have things been since 2006? Many people are still caught in that perception created in the crime bubble in the early part of this decade, however crime has gone down significantly all over the country. Newspapers are still creating the same perception as before, but it doesn't coincide with the data; which means that they simply found a new way of circulating greater numbers of papers. What business is going to kill (no pun) a money making tactic?

Is crime today as it was in 1998? No, today its still much more dangerous than in 1998.

Was crime in 2005 as it was in 1998? No, crime was a lot worst.

Is crime today as it was in 2005? No, its actually a lot better.

Now, if you know that tiny bit of information, you will know what some people are saying and what others are attempting to say.

All the appeals to fallacious reasoning (ie. appealing to authority, appealing to belief, hasty generalizations, poisoning the well, misleading vividness, so on and so forth) not withstanding.

It goes without saying that the people that lived when the DR has almost no serious crime, to them the DR is still a very dangerous place. The comparisons between now and then are too great and obvious. But, some people know how to reason well and know that everything is relative and while things may still be worst than they were 20 years ago, in the last few years things have improved a lot. So much so that its better than 4 years ago.

That some people still have their feathers ruffed at the five or six incidents the papers write about everyday (how low does crime has to be in a country of 10 million people for newspapers to have a hard time finding five or six crimes?); that's a personal problem, not societal.

Capice?

-NALs

Last edited:

IslandPrincess

Jun 16, 2008
Why is everyone here??

The DR is a developing country, still a long ways from the formal legal structure of the United States, Canada or Western Europe. Many thing are going to go unreported in the news, tourists will be be exploited & people who have a deeply in bedded culture will continue to live there lives, according to what they know(and don't know). For me, although it can be frustrating at times, this is what makes this Island beautiful, and is more or less the reason I moved here. Don't try to fight or change it, or even be afraid of it. It's a more free way of life. So many people here are paranoid, and 80-% of this forum is dedicated to common complaints of North Americans or Europeans about Dominicans/hatians their culture and the way they handle all situations legal, personal ect. This never will be a mini USA/CANADA/UK. If that's what you want, then why are you here? Enjoy it and Tranquilo!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Some foreigners are paranoid here for the simple reason that they don't speak the language and therefore don't really understand the culture.

Yes, by all accounts the DR is more dangerous than the US, however, if one understands the do's and don'ts there is no reason one should have to worry any more or less than anywhere else in the world.

I in fact worry less about my and my family's safety here in Santiago than I did in Orlando, Fl. I spent many sleepless nights wondering if we were going to have a home invasion or someone was going to kidnap my girls ( a rea threat in Florida). Anyway, I don't worry about either of those for whatever reason here in the DR.

IslandPrincess

Jun 16, 2008
Offensive

In reviewing some of AZB's threads - regardless what anyone think of his threads or posts or opinion, we can all agree that its very entertaining - there are some recurring aspects of DR1 members that continually comes to light in such threads. For starters, its amazing how many gringos - in the context of this poll, gringo is used to denote all foreigners interested and/or living in the DR - are completely clueless as to how Dominican society functions. Even more interesting, is noticing how some gringos only subject themselves to particular subsets of Dominican society and then take the liberty to assume that such subset represents all Dominicans and everything that Dominicans are. To the detriment of many, AZB is one of the few gringos who gets it. In fact, I don't even consider AZB a true gringo anymore, since he understands the DR better
than most Dominicans. Ironic, no?

In anycase, in AZB's most recent thread (you can access by clicking here) an interesting phenomenon that has been prevalent in the forums for a while now presented itself.

Even after AZB made it clear that the guy that followed him in PUCAMAYMA was gay and not some criminal, and he should know since of all the participants in that thread AZB is the only one who was present in the incident, there are people that continue to insist that it could had been a criminal of some sort.

And this is only the tip of the iceberg. Some DR1ers seem obssessed with kidnappings despite these being relatively rare since less than 50 kidnappings a year occur in this country of barely 10 million people. Expatriates being scared to death of being kidnapped, when on a yearly basis if 2 foreigners are kidnapped in the DR, that is a record for any year!

And this is the case with pretty much everything else. There seems to be a high level of interest in the crime issue, the interest elevates even more when it deals with crimes of isolated incidents; despite crime having registered a continous decline since 2005 and despite the relative rarity of crime against the expatriate minority.

So, my question is this:

Do you think DR1ers are paranoid?

-NALs

Can we avoid using the term gringo please. I find it very offensive. Words used to divide and exclude are unnecessary. It's an ignorant word, and The history has a VERY negative connotation. It's like the equivalent of the "N" word for American blacks, so please....have some respect and just say e-pats or extranjeros. THANKS:ermm:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Can we avoid using the term gringo please. I find it very offensive. Words used to divide and exclude are unnecessary. It's an ignorant word, and The history has a VERY negative connotation. It's like the equivalent of the "N" word for American blacks, so please....have some respect and just say e-pats or extranjeros. THANKS:ermm:

You may avoid the term if you choose, IslandPrincess, but I, as an expat, will continue to refer to myself as a gringa because for me and many others it has no connotation other than meaning 'foreigner'. If you do a search you'll find a number of threads about this. For most of us it plain isn't an issue.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You may avoid the term if you choose, IslandPrincess, but I, as an expat, will continue to refer to myself as a gringa because for me and many others it has no connotation other than meaning 'foreigner'. If you do a search you'll find a number of threads about this. For most of us it plain isn't an issue.
What ^^^she^^^ said. I call myself a gringo, and know that I will always be seen as one by most Dominicans no matter what.

It's my choice to be offended. And by being offended, it's giving someone else space and attention in my head rent free. My head does not come rent free.

I just laugh it off and agree...

IslandPrincess

Jun 16, 2008
OK OK Ok

Fine, I understand your perspective, I just don't like it. Call yourself that if you like, but a very prominent Dominican public official once told me, never let anyone call you Gringa because even when said with a smile it always means..."You don't belong". Sorry I got the forum off track..back to paranoia anyone?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We try not to let 'very prominent Dominican public officials' be an issue either :laugh::laugh:. Best avoided unless part of the family or absolutely necessary...how's that for paranoia?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We try not to let 'very prominent Dominican public officials' be an issue either :laugh::laugh:. Best avoided unless part of the family or absolutely necessary...how's that for paranoia?
I'd like to be called "The Invisible Gringo"...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Fine, I understand your perspective, I just don't like it. Call yourself that if you like, but a very prominent Dominican public official once told me, never let anyone call you Gringa because even when said with a smile it always means..."You don't belong". Sorry I got the forum off track..back to paranoia anyone?
To my face, to my back, who cares? They say it. So I'd just as soon they say it to my face, since they're thinking it anyway.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

You don't understand Dominican mentality i see, we Dominican have a nickname for everyone, if you are two white even if you are Dominican native they will call you a gringo(a) or "La Americana".

I know a Dominican woman that she used to live in Italy, and everybody call her "La Italiana".