DR1ers and Firearms

Do you own a firearm(s)?

• Yes, I own several firearms.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Yes, I own one firearm.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • No, but my spouse own one or more firearms.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • No, but I used to own at least one firearm.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No and never owned one.

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Owning a gun is quite popular in the Dominican Republic to the point that it's basically widespread. Some own more than one and even different types of firearms such as rifles. Despite the effort of the government to have the civilian population voluntarily give up their guns, I think chances are slim that the population will disarm like that. The last time that was done was by the US Military in the 1920's when shortly after invading the country the entire population was disarmned by force. Some say that the concentration of arms in certain institutions and not among civilians was a factor in making Trujillo the new dictator since he had the guns.Surprise, surprise.

Anyway, do you own a firearm(s)?

Votes are private, can only choose one answer, and they it can't be changed.

Anyone can explain in the thread if they own at least one firearm for protection, hobby, work; etc. Any storiesof events in the DR where you were present and involved firearm(s), etc.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have had the opportunity twice to buy pistols, once off the widow of a family friend that dies, that was a legal gun that Max had registered. The other was one that had been kept illegally( unregistered) and I was tempted but decided no in both cases. I think having a gun would make me more of a target, and my house is quite secure, well lit, strong iron, heavy traffic, and I have a very good wrist rocket that I am proficient with.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I have had the opportunity twice to buy pistols, once off the widow of a family friend that dies, that was a legal gun that Max had registered. The other was one that had been kept illegally( unregistered) and I was tempted but decided no in both cases. I think having a gun would make me more of a target, and my house is quite secure, well lit, strong iron, heavy traffic, and I have a very good wrist rocket that I am proficient with.
well you probably should not have given out that info
My public info might be heavily armed and prepared to use it well lit dogs and dangerous chickens

• Haha
Reactions: bob saunders

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I am one of those crazy Canadians who has never owned a gun and doesn't lock the door to my home.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
well you probably should not have given out that info
My public info might be heavily armed and prepared to use it well lit dogs and dangerous chickens
I have three large street dogs ( two roti mixed) that I feed. They sleep most of the day but they are not friendly with anyone that they don't know at night. One has bitten a Dominican guy, and they seem to dislike drug addicts and drunks. Certainly they intimidate a lot of people with their growls. Two of them sleep on my steps and the other on my MIL across the street. Almost all the neighbours own their houses and have lived her for years. People notice strangers.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Coming from a civilised country where you rarely see a gun except in high risk places (even the police don't normally carry them), I found it pretty disconcerting when I first came here where it seems almost every poorly paid security guard is carrying a shotgun, and the police wield them like toys.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I have three large street dogs ( two roti mixed) that I feed. They sleep most of the day but they are not friendly with anyone that they don't know at night. One has bitten a Dominican guy, and they seem to dislike drug addicts and drunks. Certainly they intimidate a lot of people with their growls. Two of them sleep on my steps and the other on my MIL across the street. Almost all the neighbours own their houses and have lived her for years. People notice strangers.
my little dog is great. barks when anyone is coming. We have a long laneway which helps and cameras and well lit at night