DR1ers and their Social Class

What socio-economic class do you belong to in the society you live?

• Upper Class

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Upper Middle Class

Votes: 50 56.8%
  • Lower Middle Class

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Working Class

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Lower Class

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Then there are the "low class" of DR1 which is composed of newbies, members who are not taken seriously, etc).
------------------

So according to your hierarchy in this case, its the number of post's that matter and to the content of what is being said?? There have been many cases that what a newbie said would blow some old timers out of water. When you get down to it this is just a forum with some rules to keep the game going. To put this as an example of class differences is ridiculous.
Who will get more attention from Robert or Dolores? An "seasoned" DR1er who complains about something on this site or a newbie?

I'm sure that if Hillbilly, for example, tells the administrators that maybe DR1 could be better if xyz changes are made, his opinion will be worth more to the administrators than an opinion by some newbie.

Even if the response would be the same to the request of both, Hillbilly's request will be taken with much more consideration than would that of a newbie.

As for "this is just a forum with some rules to keep the game going", so is everything else in life. Just rules to keep things flowing, but rules are worthless without enforcement of some kind.

BTW: being a "newbie" has nothing to do with the number of posts or lack of such. It has everything to do with the amount of time such person has been a member. There are exceptions, as with everything, and some newbies could very well be old personal friends of the administrators, which would mean that the administrators will accept any criticism from such "newbie" on a different level compared to some newbie coming out of the blue, so to speak.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The only 'power' moderators have is to clean up. That makes us janitors! As such, quite low down on the totem pole.
Some call it "clean up" while others call it "censorship".

You guys are enforcing the rules of DR1, rules which have been approved by the top administrators of this site.

For certain, you guys may not have as much "power" over this site as the administrators, but you do have more "power" than perhaps 99% of DR1ers. Just below you guys would come those who are influential, but can't do the "cleaning up" as you put it.

Some moderators have "cleaned up" certain threads after certain non-moderatoring members suggested them to do such.

Also, the fact that who becomes a moderator and who doesn't is decided by the administrators, that makes it clear that its an exclusive title/position on this site or any other forum.

I'm sure any DR1 can't "promote" himself to moderator category. That's something that is decided by the administrators based on various aspects of the member being considered, but the fact lies that who becomes a moderator and who is rejected or removed from such is a decision that lies with the administrators.

Once accepted as a moderator, such person will have the ability to close threads, censor posts, etc according to the rules and sometimes, according to personal beliefs or preferences.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I thought this thread was about socio-economic status.
The poll is about socio-economic status, but the discussion has taken a slight twist in which we are dealing with various types of status a person belongs to, depending on the situation and relationship vis-a-vis others.

qgrande said:
What does a civilian obeying a police officer have to with socio-economic status?
In the literal sense, nothing.

As an analogy, which is how I presented such example, its meant to show that people recognize different roles different people have in society and such differences are respected.

Anyone who says that he/she is on the same level as a police officer is fooling himself.

Insult a police officer on duty to see how he will react. The worst thing anyone could do is ignore a police officers orders, especially when he is wearing his uniform. The action of such police officer will clearly say: how dare anyone disobey a police officer in uniform.

Go ahead and do this to see what happens. Disobey a police officer in uniform to see what happens.

qgrande said:
Who do you think is considered to have higher social status if the police officer, the CEO and the conductor meet in the pub?
The socio-economic status will go in decending order to the CEO, the police officer, and the conductor.

When the relationship between the police officer and the CEO changes (ie. the CEO caused an infraction which causes the police officer to enforce the law), at that moment in time the status (not socio-economical) goes to the Police officer. The police officer is in charge when he stops a CEO for speeding.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In actuality, civilians follow and obey the Law, it doesn't matter who is enforcing it, whether it be a Cop, Meter-Maid, or Crossing Guard
Civilians follow and obey the law because there are enforcer who will enforce such law on behalf of the state.

I will quote Prof. Mora from UConn. One comment he made a few years ago was this: "What makes you stop when you see a stop sign? Is it the sign itself that has the authority to make you obey it? Is it the police who enforce such law?

What makes you stop is the fact that the state apparatus has enforcers who will make sure you do stop at a stop sign. If enforcement was minimal or none existent, an entire culture of disobeying laws develops and under such circumstances, a stop sign become little else than a simple decoration on a street corner."

Ricardo900 said:
and if I called the authorities and tell them that my neighbor's music is too loud, they will follow my request and confront the neighbor, so who's obeying who?
Between your neighbor and the police officer, the neighbor will be subject to the police officer.

Between you and the police officer, the police officer will be subject to your right of peace and quiet on your private property. However, the police officer is simply following his duty as a cop, which is to "serve and protect the public".

Ricardo900 said:
Teacher or Student? Well, you can look at it as the teacher being employed by the student to teach, via tuition. Without the student paying his tuituion, the teacher will be unemployed.
So the student controls the classroom?

Who imposes the rules of conduct in the classroom, the teacher or his students?

-NALs

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Civilians follow and obey the law because there are enforcer who will enforce such law on behalf of the state.

I will quote Prof. Mora from UConn. One comment he made a few years ago was this: "What makes you stop when you see a stop sign? Is it the sign itself that has the authority to make you obey it? Is it the police who enforce such law?

What makes you stop is the fact that the state apparatus has enforcers who will make sure you do stop at a stop sign. If enforcement was minimal or none existent, an entire culture of disobeying laws develops and under such circumstances, a stop sign become little else than a simple decoration on a street corner."

Between your neighbor and the police officer, the neighbor will be subject to the police officer.

Between you and the police officer, the police officer will be subject to your right of peace and quiet on your private property. However, the police officer is simply following his duty as a cop, which is to "serve and protect the public".

So the student controls the classroom?

-NALs

The Meter-Maid, Cop, and Crossing Guards are all enforcers of the law that civilians have created to keep things in order, therefore civilians hire and order the police to enforce the law. The cop is no more of an enforcer than the FBI agent, DEA agent, Security Guard, or Meter-Maid, just different laws they enforce, and since they are subjected to the same type of enforcement, technically they have no more rights than the average civilian.

Of course the rules in the classroom are enforced solely by the teacher and administration. But I may add that the teacher follows a curriculum that must be satisfactory to the student and the fact that payment of tuition gives the student body the ability to remove an educator or to make significant change.

This whole thing goes around in circles. Now the King and his subjects would be a perfect example.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Meter-Maid, Cop, and Crossing Guards are all enforcers of the law that civilians have created to keep things in order, therefore civilians hire and order the police to enforce the law. The cop is no more of an enforcer than the FBI agent, DEA agent, Security Guard, or Meter-Maid, just different laws they enforce, and since they are subjected to the same type of enforcement, technically they have no more rights than the average civilian.

Of course the rules in the classroom are enforced solely by the teacher and administration. But I may add that the teacher follows a curriculum that must be satisfactory to the student and the fact that payment of tuition gives the student body the ability to remove an educator or to make significant change.

This whole thing goes around in circles. Now the King and his subjects would be a perfect example.
Good point.

-NALs

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
I have been following this thread for a few days and its comical and rather filantropic posts on status, power and influence. I must say it is a good way to "ajitar el avispero" as evidenced by the prolific posts. So I guess that I'll add a little humor and put in my two bits.

Near my house are two cemetaries. One where all the literate, well to do, statesmen "proceres" type are buried the other is just the municipal one where everyone else that doesn't have power, prestige and pull go. Those interred in either one of these sacred grounds don't seem to mind what they were, who they were, even where they came to rest. In both places it rains, shines and the days go by. No one there seems to care about the things this poll is hashing.

I guess the literal message from the grave is that...who cares how rich, "educated" and powerful you might be. Coming into the golden years I find that life is much too short and it goes by so very fast. Time is of the essence. In the end even the pharaohs never got to enjoy these fruits in the after life. However another message from the grave I see is that the real education, power and prestige comes upon those who inhabit earth in serving others, in loving your "projimo", in being of value to those who are in need. These things are quite invaluable.

* - College Education - $300,000 and climbing
* - A Snazzy Italian Sporstcar - $400,000
* - A Home in Altos de Chavon - $1,000,000
* - Helping those around you needing a better life - PRICELESS!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
In both places it rains, shines and the days go by. No one there seems to care about the things this poll is hashing.

And I'm sure most people here don't either :) . But when you see things like 'The worst thing anyone could do is ignore a police officers orders, especially when he is wearing his uniform. The action of such police officer will clearly say: how dare anyone disobey a police officer in uniform' you think back (if you're one of the older ones ;) ) to the sort of mentality which allowed horrendous things to happen in the world all because people were brainwashed to believe they had to obey a uniform.................. I would have hoped the younger generation would have moved on.

And if you live in the DR Nals, the first thing you have to work out is whether the person wearing the uniform is actually entitled to. I don't think any of us would automatically assume that a body in a military or police uniform really was a soldier or police officer unless there was additional evidence that they really were......................

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
NALs don't take this personally but I would be scared to have you promoted to a moderator!!!!:paranoid: :paranoid:

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
The poll is about socio-economic status, but the discussion has taken a slight twist in which we are dealing with ....
That's NALs-speak for 'I took some time to make an off-topic point'? ;)

The socio-economic status will go in decending order to the CEO, the police officer, and the conductor.
Interesting, I'd probably put the conductor tops... Nevermind...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
This post started 14 days ago & this is the first time I have visited it. Why??? Because I think (rightly or wrongly) that these 'Polls' are introduced just to try & give NALS a social standing in his own mind here which is certainly not richly deserved.

What a load of baloney & what CRASS assumptions the man makes@!!
A policeman does NOT have influence over me - the LAW does. As an (supposedly) upholder of the law, I generally secede to the policeman's request (note 'REQUEST' - never 'INSTRUCTION'), but where the Policeman is in error on the law, will 'influence' him ion to the correct interpretation of the law. Now who has the higher social standing? The one with the POWER or the one with the INFLUENCE? The one with the power ir the one with the (albeit slightly) higher intellect?

ME do as Robert & Dolores say???? Think again Sunshine - we go back YEARS & have argued many times & on many subjects! This does not relate solely to DR1 either as Dolores might recall!

If I do not agree with the general principles of what is being 'said', 'done' I move off elsewhere, so who has the greater power - them or ME?? AS the ONLY one who has direct control over MY actions & reactions, I am the one with the power to rejoin (under a new name & identity) or leave as is my want!!

I think we have all missed one salient point with this crass poll - it says 'In the area that you live'! In the area that I live I am possibly lower middle class in that there are very powerful (but not necessarily higher or better class) people all around me. In another less influential area I would probably have been seen as much more an 'Upper Class' type of guy. IF NALS is referring to the COUNTRY that I live in, my social standing is totally irrelevant in that I am hardly noticed in the greater picture of things & being 'Lower', 'Middle' or 'Upper' class has very little bearing (if any) upon the masses.

Please NALs = if you are going to put polls together to try & influence my view about others on this board, put a LOT more work into the preparatory stage. At the moment 95% or higher of the polls posted are so very poorly thought out & just reduce your social standing (& therefore POWER according to you) on this forum. I am now going to exercise MY power by going back to ignoring the polls section! ~ Grahame.

Right on the money. Interesting how NALs did not respond directly to your post....oh wait a minute, its the number of post's you have. Must have been intimidate by your status. Hahahah:cheeky:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

-NALs

This whole thread makes me laugh. Feels like I'm reading philosphy 101 wannabe class for special disadvantaged 'needing a leg up' type students, run by a 3rd year wannabe professor.

Anyway, the rules of conduct in the classroom are there by agreement in most westernized countries. They won't be there if both parties are not in agreement of what they should be. Either by docile acceptance, or by active agreement, or by some other means of agreement. In a few other countries, the rules are there by decree and God help you if you break 'em.

What were we talking about again? Some poll? Anyway, on DR1 the rules are there by decree. Social class is irrelevant.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
This whole thread makes me laugh. Feels like I'm reading philosphy 101 wannabe class for special disadvantaged 'needing a leg up' type students, run by a 3rd year wannabe professor.

Anyway, the rules of conduct in the classroom are there by agreement in most westernized countries. They won't be there if both parties are not in agreement of what they should be. Either by docile acceptance, or by active agreement, or by some other means of agreement. In a few other countries, the rules are there by decree and God help you if you break 'em.

What were we talking about again? Some poll? Anyway, on DR1 the rules are there by decree. Social class is irrelevant.
Get up to date Chris!! ;) I understand that conduct in classrooms in many 'Westernised' schools is now made by the students. They moan to the Social Services about being chastised by teachers so THAT gets changed, They then moan to the Race Relations people, then the Minorities commission, then lawyers then ........ All these disinterested bodies claim their right (& expensive input) to represent the poor downtrodden students!! Teachers & School Authorities/bodies have little to do with classroom conduct these days!!

Here is an interesting thought for the OP. If the musical director of Kneller Hall met up with the musical director of the London Symphony, who would take the higher socio-economic position?? - (To save him doing his usual Googleing act, let me explain that Kneller Hall is the Military Academy of music!) ~ Grahame.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Since "NALS" Deletes All My Posts About His Stupid Polls!!!

Let me make this "Short & Sweet"!

They $uck!!!

They are influenced by his Dominican view that "Smoke",rather than "Fire" gets the most attention!
He has nothing to do,so he does it on DR1! :ermm:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I didn't read the whole thread but let me put it this way: nals, you are asking the wrong people. There are only 2 classes with most of Dr1 crowd: "them" and the "dirt poor (putas, sankies, street tigres)". I was in sosua and let me tell you what I saw. All the dominican women on streets and bars are 100% prostitutes and the guys who claim the women to be their girlfriends are also dirt poor barrio trash, active hookers, ex hookers or simply a barrio slut. They are all involved with the "dirt class" of this island. They live and breed with them. They have only seen the dirt poor so they have nothing else to compare with. This is a seriously sad case as you can't even talk to them about any other class of dominicans except the poor, dirt class. No wonder they call the upper middle to upper rich class snobs, selfish and simply arrogants. why? simply they don't know a single one. maybe they have talked to one for 5 minutes or shook hands with one of them. Just because these educated decent dominicans are not interested in hooker chasing foreign men/women, that doesn't mean they are arrogant. In my experience, the nicest, down to earth dominicans are the upper middle class to rich. They are the ones who run this country and maintain the economy. To me they are the real dominicans, the rest you foreigners can have and please marry them and take them away from here. they don't want to be here and we can care less if they go away with you all.
AZB

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
Hmmm...amongst the nicest, down to earth dominicans, where do the politicians who do magic with tax money fit?
They "run" the country and get extraordinarily rich and fat off the backs of their countrymen....to me that gives them no class....
I like the way you characterise the whole of Sosua and all in it...sort of a broadbrush approach...a wide generalism...
I suppose all the young folk studying in schools fall under your pall, no chance for them in your miserable world?
Why allow the opportunity for someone to better themselves, far better to condemn all?
um....what exactly were YOU doing in this den of iniquity??

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hmmm...amongst the nicest, down to earth dominicans, where do the politicians who do magic with tax money fit?
They "run" the country and get extraordinarily rich and fat off the backs of their countrymen....to me that gives them no class....
I like the way you characterise the whole of Sosua and all in it...sort of a broadbrush approach...a wide generalism...
I suppose all the young folk studying in schools fall under your pall, no chance for them in your miserable world?
Why allow the opportunity for someone to better themselves, far better to condemn all?
um....what exactly were YOU doing in this den of iniquity??

read my post, i said almost all women in bars and streets of sosua are hookers. Now if you think I am full of crap, would like to have a walk with me there at night? Who are you trying to fool? You can't defend sosua, its out of control there. I have lived in this country to many years and know the culture here. So please don't give me a lesson on dominican society. You expats in north coast are mostly with cueros and dirt poor dominicans. You know this and its a fact. There is no sugar coating here, I can show you a hundred example in one hour alone of one street of sosua.
Now about the politicians, why do you think they are all from the upper crust of dominican society? They may be corrupt but show me one american mayor form a decent sized city who has retired poor?
AZB

Status
Not open for further replies.