Drain cleaner

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I realize that,,,if you pour the baking powder down the drain then pour the vinegar on top the foaming action causes pressure in the drain pipe pushes the clog thru without burning the drain,especially if you have a PVC drain.
How's thaT FOR A RUN ON SENTENCE?LOL

Not bad! Thanks for the reply. It makes sense now. There would certainly be some pressure behind it.

Ya know, a person could simply bring in a hose, wrap it up using a washcloth to provide a seal to the drain and turn on the hose to blow out the blockage.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
No, they stuck a forced hose down the bathroom sink.
Der Fish

They sell a device that attaches to a hose, blows itself up sealing in the drain, and clears drains with controlled water force. These have been around for years.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
This is a perfect solution..... I know this works

in this case empty a box of baking soda into the drain and then pour a cup of white vinegar over it. the visual effect is quite pleasing and it will unclog the drain a little bit without any damage.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
It's got nothing to do with the disposal motor getting hot , cold water makes the grease coagulate so that it rolls out easier and doesn't build up in your pipes , I have forgotten more about plmg. then your four Dominican plumbers will ever know. P.S , that's one of the questions on the plumbers exam in Massachusetts.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
sluice drains regularly w/ coffee grinds.....

never use HOT, HOT water down the drain.
after a period the pipe glue deteriorates and the pipe falls off below.

Happened to me twice in a month in two different houses.... replaced with metal fittings in the US.

when dumping boiling water, turn on the cold at the same time

Also, I never use hot, hot water for the disposal.... motor doesn;t like it.... tepid to hot for me

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
1 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup vinegar. pour in sink, cover with plug for 30minutes then pour hot water down drain for about 2 to 3 minutes.:bunny:

May 29, 2006
They sell a device that attaches to a hose, blows itself up sealing in the drain, and clears drains with controlled water force. These have been around for years.

Yep, they're called Wonder Weenies by everyone I've met who does plumbing... They work great, esp for blockages below the toilet. Makes the craziest noise while they're inflating.. They are good for blockages in 3-4" lines but I wouldn't use a small one for the S traps.

UAz1E.jpg

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I don't think I would use "High Pressure" to "unclog" a drain here in the DR!
Every joint "down stream" would probably blow apart!!!!
The major problem here is they use pvc pipes that are too small, just to save money, AND, they never learned that "$HIT FLOWS Down Hill"!!!!!!!
They don't put enough down slope on the outflow!
Then there was the time I "Snaked" a potato out of my plugged up bathroom toilet!!!!!!
Surprisingly, I found out who did it!!!!!
And the whole family knew who it was as well!
It was, "No Fui YO"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Then there was the "Disposable" plastic cup ephisode!

Peter, I've had one of THOSE, since I was born!!!!!!
Those who know my "Real Name" will love THAT!!!!!