Drinking Water

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Whenever I need/want,to lose a "FEW" pounds,I drink a glass of "Tap Water".
By-the-way "PREACHardo",why not have more Pure Drinking Water,and fewer MALLS?????????
May be the "Cholera" outbreak in Santigo reported today could be avoided!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a well at our house, and had the water tested awhile ago. We were very surprised at the results, it was pretty good, but I still won't drink it - I do use it to cook with [but not to wash raw vegetables]. I use the bottled water for coffee. My husband thinks I'm too fussy, but I figure that even though the water tested great that day, who knows what might contaminants might have snuck in there later....

We buy only Crystal or Planeta Azul botellons, and then I pass the water through a Brita pitcher in the fridge. Probably doesn't help if the water has chemicals leeched from the botellon plastic....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Whenever I need/want,to lose a "FEW" pounds,I drink a glass of "Tap Water".
By-the-way "PREACHardo",why not have more Pure Drinking Water,and fewer MALLS?????????
May be the "Cholera" outbreak in Santigo reported today could be avoided!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Because laundering money is more important than cleaning water.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
We have a well at our house, and had the water tested awhile ago. We were very surprised at the results, it was pretty good, but I still won't drink it - I do use it to cook with [but not to wash raw vegetables]. I use the bottled water for coffee. My husband thinks I'm too fussy, but I figure that even though the water tested great that day, who knows what might contaminants might have snuck in there later....

We buy only Crystal or Planeta Azul botellons, and then I pass the water through a Brita pitcher in the fridge. Probably doesn't help if the water has chemicals leeched from the botellon plastic....

I know of some families that also boil the botellon water. So they buy water from botellon -> filter using brita -> boil the water.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I know of some families that also boil the botellon water. So they buy water from botellon -> filter using brita -> boil the water.

Boiling the water is the safest way to remove pathogens from the dangers list, but leaves little to see for chemicals and other particles present.

The correct process should be to boil the water first and then filter it for chemical and particles.

People assume that water from pipes in first world countries with relatively modern or top of the line services are 100% safe to drink with no problems. That's a myth!

Most of the problems derived of gastrointestinal afflictions can be traced back to the kitchen and faucet. More so in those first world water supply networks where people are uncommon to use filters or boil their drinking water at all.

Water is deemed safe to drink when the law mandated levels are within a certain threshold, not because it's crystal clear as filtered water!

They're deemed safe when the maximum allowed contaminants and other types of weird stuff is below the amount that can make you and your family sick. But that maximum allowed is a joke, since it can be changed even by one rusty and oxidized coupling in the line to your faucet. Or even worst, a pipe that was contaminated by virtue of a leak in the wrong place.

By all means, it's safer and healthier to have a bath in the river than in your tub!

We use water from the public pipes to fill our cisterns or tinacos, most use a pre-filter to clear out most stuff from that reserve to the water tank/pump line. Others use a staged set of in line filters you can buy in your local Ochoa Hardware and last very long.

For drinking water in the DR? You can boil it, filtered it, sunny side up or however you like, but never untreated from the pipe!

Reactions: nekokatt
Aug 21, 2007
Not an option- due to cost- for many here in the DR. But, we use a UV under sink filter that also sends water to the frig water and ice dispenser. The cost for the filter is about $1,000 USD, including service and water checks. Since I live on the third floor, avoiding the use of bottled water and hauling up the stairs made the cost well worth it for me.

danytravel

Sep 14, 2010
Not an option- due to cost- for many here in the DR. But, we use a UV under sink filter that also sends water to the frig water and ice dispenser. The cost for the filter is about $1,000 USD, including service and water checks. Since I live on the third floor, avoiding the use of bottled water and hauling up the stairs made the cost well worth it for me.

Where do you get this? And how do you install it?

Kuat

Apr 17, 2012
Does the country have some kind of underground rivers/springs from which clean water could be sourced? Or is the only way to get decent water is to recycle the sewer water?

This sucks. Absence of good drinking water is a huge deal-breaker for me personally. After reading this thread, I don't think i should even come for a scouting visit to DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
No "sewers" in the DR,only ditches to carry the $hit" into the already industry polluted rivers!
Can yo day:'Perrier"?????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc