Driving experiences Anyone in the D.R.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know what happened.

the poor bastard got put in jail for the night...

Maybe. That is what they want to do.

Been there, done that!

HB

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
While we are waiting ...

for Part II...
In most countries you drive on the right side of the road, in a few others on the left. In the DR you drive on the GOOD side of the road. So far when it comes to save your rims, tyres and trach alignment.
As for whether you are fit for DR traffic, there is a simple test. Drive down Las Terrenas main street on a Friday / Saturday night , that comes close to passing a driving exam in a cage full of monkeys (not necessarily Dominican monkeys though). You survived? Well, then you do not have to worry you have conquered the worst.

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Down the middle for me!!

Had a laugh re .GOOD side of the road...I drive down the white line myself..50-50 call...........On a return to Canada my son was very impressed at my overtaking, no signals, making a new lane at the lights and cutting across three lanes to stop for a Pee at a nearby tree.. did I miss anything out??.. Cheers M.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Part 2....finally and with apologies

and so it goes.....I am more than a slacker....I don't have a good excuse so I won't waste your collective time by posting a bad one.....let's continue....don't pay too much attention to my spelling and grammar......I have a lot to write and want to get it on the record before I lose my motivation...........again

I wasn't the least bit surprised when she appeared with the neck brace....I was prepared...she could have wandered her way into the Men's room and stood peeing at the urinal next to me and I would have had the same reaction....we then went to the Palacio (cop station for you newbees).....funny part is that I had to drive her and her mother in my car!.....the cops followed in my buddy's car....needless to say it was a pretty quiet ride....

we got to the Palacio and they immediately took her into a different room to get her statement....they told me to sit down and wait.....my buddy had numerous conversations with the cops on duty but it was all small talk until he got to the boss.....then he started working it.....the boss (big fat guy bursting out of his uniform and stuffing his face as if he couldn't get any fatter) didn't want to hear any of it until the paperwork was done.....the cop in charge of reports told me to follow him to the next office so I could tell him my story......my spanish (much better now) was EXTREMELY broken at the time so my friend came with me to do the translating........almost one and a half hours later he was done typing my story (letter by letter.....ZZZzzzZZZzz)....looks like we're done, right?.....No.

Now they need 4 copies of the report but they have no copy machine.....so it was up to my friend (they wouldn't let me leave)to go across the street to a 17 year old kid who had a machine plugged in on the street for this specific purpose.......he returned and the wait began........

I sat minding my own business.....head down with a poker face while my friend worked the room......most of the cops couldn't have cared less.....except for El Jefe....(boss)

he bitched and moaned.....bitched and moaned.....and of course ate some more.......finally my friend said something to the effect of "come on.....he's done all the right things tonight.....will you please sign off on him"........Boss Hog said that I would be spending the night..........it was already 3 AM and the accident was at 8PM so I was almost there already......but I believe we all know what he really meant?......anyone? anyone? Dinero! Exacto!

my friend sat next to me and was visibly embarrassed.......long story short.......Fat Boy wanted RD$100.........100 pesos? are you kidding me? I would have paid a hell of a lot more than that earlier just to get on with it.....but I digress......I was released and told to return at 6:30AM SHARP!....this is the Palacio dammit! we run a tight ship......don't be late!!............on the way out to the car my friend took me across the street and introduced me to the "Copy Boy"......he told me to see the "CB" (copy boy) in the morning...........whatever....he can't be serious........

I returned at 6:15AM......went into the Palacio and I heard nothing but crickets.......Boss Hog was gone and there were only 2 cops there (sleeping).......I sat tight until about 9:00AM when everyone showed up at once........as I said....my spanish was really bad.....thus I embarked on several long but fruitless "conversations" with some of the NP's......(sidenote: the language barrier is my problem...not theirs.....in the US they would have called a Government paid translator for you.....no Thank You......Dominican Tax Payers are not responsible for that kind of stuff.....it's Latin America......speak Spanish or don't bitch).....

this is long but I PROMISE i will post the whole thing right now..............enjoy........see you in Part III

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Part III...

at about 9:15 AM I decided to be Dominican and I went outside to take a break.........what the hell should I do now?......the answer to all of my questions was to get in the back of a monstrous line and wait.......then it hit me...."Copy Boy"!

I went to see him.....yada yada yada....he said "give me RD$100" (yes...only 100 pesos) and follow me........I followed him across the street and back into the Palacio.....lines became transparent and procedures were thrown into the wind.........he gave the 100 pesos to one of the cops and 10 minutes later we emerged with my official accident report....an important step but only another rung on the ladder........

now we needed to return with 6 copies...Hmmmm....where can I get copies?.....I wonder.....we crossed the street and went back to his office/copier on the other side (right in front of the Colmado)

after that we went back into the Palacio to drop off the six copies.....they need all six and will then return one to me with the official "stamp" (200 pesos) so I can proceed to the next step....

sorry boys.....not today......come back tomorrow at 6:30AM and DON'T BE LATE!.......this is the Palacio and our shit is tight!

the next day I awoke from my deep slumber at about 8:30AM or so........the phone rang shortly thereafter and it was the Palacio......a cop with english as bad as my spanish managed to get across that he was "waiting"......believe it or not but this didn't really bother me much..........I took a shower...had some coffee and then went to the Palacio........

the cop was calling "attendance" as I entered and I answered for myself with a wave.......from there it was single file and he led us around to the back of the Palacio for a quick "briefing" on how to get to AMET headquarters.....uh oh.......those guys in the pickle suits (green uniforms) are a different breed than the NP's (national police)........they took all of our ID/Matriculas/Insurance Cards/Cedulas and Passports and stressed the importance of showing up at AMET.......oh well......we were off

when we got there......an AMET cop took roll call again and led us into the station......and down a hallway......and around a corner.......and into a large holding cell......holy Sh&t!......isn't this backwards?......why would they do this 3 days later.....oh well....procedure I guess........there were about 12 of us but it could have fit 20-25 (reasonably)......not too bad.....and they left the door open because cops and lawyers were constantly coming in to talk to me and my "homies"......

I waited there for about 4 hours......funny....they let us keep all of our stuff.....including cell phones.....this was great.....Scandall can S.O.S. for help!....Right?...no.....because I had no minutes on my cell....a rookie mistake.....and I wasn't about to ask the others if they could spare any.......I decided to play it cool and go for a smoke break.......yes....I casually stood up, opened the door and started to walk for the fresh air........a female cop yelled at me...I turned, smiled and muttered "Yo no puedo fumar?"........she chuckled, stopped herself, put on a mean face and ushered me back inside......about 45 minutes later she opened the door and told me to "Ven!"....she took me outside, lit up her own cigarette and told me "Rapido!"..........I smoked one too, thanked her profusely...then told her I needed a Communicard.....yada yada.....she sent some young guy to buy me one......when he returned I phoned my insurance company....my policy covers representation and I told them where I was........the lawyer eventually showed up....had me sign something (no idea what....could have been a confession to the Kennedy Assassination)........I paid another thousand pesos or so for the fine and she took me out on the street.........that was it....she said we were all done and started to walk away....I asked several times if this was the end of the process......she said something to the effect of "of course it is.....trust me I am a lawyer.....there is nothing else to do...it is over.....I think"......

I went home and labeled myself lucky for several reasons:

1) Nobody was seriously injured.
2) I didn't have to play with the cops anymore
3) The cost to the cops was minimal....remember that the next time the NP's want to play with you......RD$50 or RD$100 and a smile is sufficient.....if you start throwing bigger money around, things will get worse and not better
4) I learned something very valuable.......get a pen and paper and write this down.........

Make sure that your insurance policy includes a membership to the "Casa de Conductores" (house of drivers)......it costs about RD$1,200 per year.....it is a small hotel....with a judge....and police officers....if you are a member and you have traffic problems.....you do not go to the Palacio....they bring you there to check in and everyone else does the running around.....there is also a pool and a restaurant.....I kid you not....even if (God forbid) someone dies in the accident, it is your right as a member to be brought there.....you can stay for up to ten days.........Casa de Conductor, Ave. Bolivar (I don't have the number on hand but your insurance provider will know it.....it is an added option for your policy)

All in all a crummy experience but I sure learned a lot during it. Drive slow...it will all still be there when you arrive.

Scandall

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Driving in DR requires some sort of background in video games such as: Gran Turismo, Need 4 Speed, Grand Theft Auto or some other insane game involving cars and avoiding obstacles like human beings. I must say that its fun playing the real life version.............sometimes.;)

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
House of ?????????

Had that extra Insurance suggested to me when I renewed in Dec..Thought it was some kind of come-on...time to re-think it might be worthwhile. is the restuarant 24hrs.?? Cheers. M.

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
Just be careful and alert! Especially while on a pasola in Cabarete! A chick might jump out in front of you, put you in the hospital and then get out to having to pay her $ 200 dollars :D

my .02

SSSSsssssid

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
3 things

1. dont drive at night on the stretch of AVenida 27 that brings you from the Capital to San Cristobal and over to Bani (going towards Azua and all that good stuff). Use the 'old' road, (where the Cabanas are) it is much safer. the other way, gangs of motoristas are always plotting against the next car. from throwing rocks, people, goats, whatever to get you to stop. I even hear that if your car is stuck on this road at night, get out and RUN!

2. my experience was this: we were about to pay one of the tolls on La 27, and there were several buses going my way. this one girl came out of one of them from the far right, walked accross to the other side (going the opposite way), a bus stopped on the far left and waited for her to get to it. she go on, the bus left. she stopped the traffic going my way and then the oncoming traffic on the other side. i dont know if it was coincidence that the exact bus she needed was coming or what in the world she was doing. it was like watching a movie.

3. How much is insurance in DR anyway?

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
Chirimoya said:
Ssssid! Tell us your story, please.

Chiri

Just look at the post entitled "Bad News". I honestly don't remember a damn thing from the accident, but all I know is that it seems fishy to me! But what can a gringa do?!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey Sid? I think Chiri means

Sort of how did it happen; where were you, that sort of thing.

Probabvly better you don't remember anything.

Who hit you? Generally speaking the "hitter" has to pay the "hitee" and in your case sit in jail for a while...at least until he posts bond...

Most jusdges will favor the motoconchista or moped driver over the vehicular driver...

What has been your experience so far...Give girl...

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's right, Ssssid, we know you had a motorbike accident and are pleased to hear you have recovered: what I meant was please could you tell us what happened afterwards with the person involved.

Chiri

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
Okay, from what I have heard, yet really no one knows the facts, A dominican woman walked out in front of me and I locked up my brakes! And I guess flew off the pasola! and then I think the pasola must have hit her!

It was between Viva Tangerine and Our Store in Cabarete. Do not know where for sure. Anyway, when I got out of the hospital and went to the police station in Cabarete to pick up my pasola the lady who my pasola hit wanted 20,000 RD and the police would not give us back the pasola until settlement could be reached. Our lawyer negociated $200 USD and they gave me the pasola back. The thing that erks me though is that this lady had "a broken collar bone" yet no medical bills or doctor notes to prove that and since I don't remember anything, she could have just been a bystander that took an opprotunity to say she was hit. I mean a person with a broken collar bone should have some kind of documentation or at least look like she had some damage. She had on a dirty old "brace" that just looked like a rag, rode up on a moto concho and was throwing her arms around. Please! I was sooo suckered, but there is nothing I can do!

So that is my story!

SSSSSssssssid

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Sssid, and sorry to hear about what literally must feel like adding insult to injury! It sounds like she might even have been lying in wait for a foreigner on a passola, and for all you know you may not have even hit her. You are the one who should be entitled to compensation! Hope you are fully recovered and that the passola is all right.

Chiri

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
I am completely fine now! After the accident I had severe headaches that made me want to just die, but they are all gone and I am going about my life normally :D

The pasola however, has a few bumps and bruises. There are scratches and the mirrors are gone and the headlight is loose, but still completely ride-able :)

Thanks for your concern !

Other than that, when I am driving in a car I have no problems, of course some people drive like maniacs, but I like driving here more than in the states. You just have to be completely alert and aware!

SSSSsssssid

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
CabareteCid said:
I am completely fine now!
SSSSsssssid

I don't know about that Sid ..... even before the accident you were kinda 'out there'. ;)
Either way - I'm happy that it all turned out ok. Looking at your X-rays today reminded me of what a huge shock it was when Heather called and let me know that you were in an accident. Just glad you're alright.

Stay well,
Amy