Driving in DR with US-Suspended Licenses (Policia question)

Caribe

May 11, 2011
Suspended in the USA, is suspended in the Dominican Republic no matter what language the license is in, whether the police can read it or not

I know, Hylwud. Without all the "accident" stuff, I'd be driving. It's amazing that a nation systematically places people in jail-hotels until an insurance company vows to pay up. That's crazy. I'll have to get a valid Dominican license, and it'll just take a few months. As soon as I get the cedula, then I can get started, right ?

Thanks!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Some very good advice being given. Dont drive yourself. They will run into you. Even with a clean US license its not a good idea to drive in the DR. Never, ever drive at night. Main cause of death in the DR is auto accidents. Hire a driver as advised.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i bet you drive all over the US with a suspended license, when you think you can get away with it, why worry now?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I think knowing what is going on and s going to happen if you get nabbed in the US makes all the difference. Taken down the station, locked up for a couple of hours while you are processed, then allowed to leave with a court date, go to court and get a suspension.
Here, get locked up, have no clue what is going on, fed rice and water for a few days if lucky. Given a lawyer that will cost you whatever you have in your bank, fleece you in every way possible. Go to court, get a 3 months sentence if you didn't hurt anyone, become the jailhouse bitch for your duration, leave the country and broken man.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Anyone reading this thread and never had visited the DR would think that the DR roads are treacherous and death lies at each corner!

Common guys it's not that bad! The driving here is a lot better than many other countries I have visited. You just have to use a bit of common sense.

It's all about risk appraisal. If I was the OP contemplating driving here with a revoked foreign license, I would have to seriously consider the risk against the cost:
What's the risk of getting CAUGHT with a revoked license? - Minimal.
What's the risk of having a serious accident? - Depends on the individual and how confident their driving ability is, but in general i would say on the low side.
What's the cost of hiring a personal chauffeur every day? - A lot!

So there you have it. If it was me, I'd risk it!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
That post is rediculous. Yes the roads are fine during the days here in my opinion. This is not the issue, the driving imo is not even that bad, I've driven in far worse countries. The point is getting locked up on the offchance you get nicked. All it takes is someone to hit you, you don't even need to be moving, the chances of that are impossible to determine, here in the Capital it is much higher than up North. I've been parked up before in the centre of the road indicating to turn and a moto just rode into the back of me like I wasn't even there.
You're nuts if you would risk anything for getting locked up here. I get frustrated shut in publicos with normal people going about their daily life, locked up is a pi$$ hole with real criminals would really not be worth anything I had to risk, I'd rather leave than risk that!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Why is my post ridiculous? Just because I don't happen to agree with you, doesn't make it ridiculous.

Maybe I like to live on the edge a little!

In the grand scheme of things driving here with a revoked license isn't exactly a heinous crime. I bet half the drivers here don't even posses a license.

As for getting nicked and thrown in jail.......Common, get real! Keep a couple of red ones in your wallet and you're covered!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
That is presuming. And no, your post is not rediculous because you disagree with me, it is rediculous because anyone who states they would risk being locked up here is rediculous.
Living on the Edge a little, cool, how edgey are you when you squish and kill a guy on a motorbike and have no insurance or license?
No, to drive here for a native without a license probably is not as risky, 3 days inside 2,000 pesos fine and off they go to drive another day. For a foreigner you know it is completely different.
So you kill someone, are these red ones gunna get you set free? I doubt it.
And you'd risk it? living on the edge? haha, I think it is a rediulous idea, but you go for it.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
That's IF I kill someone on the road.
I guess I must be really lucky. I've been driving all my adult life and never killed anyone!!!!! In fact i don't think any of my friends and family have ever killed anyone either.
We must be freaks of nature. It seems like death and carnage where you are! If I'm driving around the roads you drive, I'd better protect myself with a license. Then everything will be alright.

Call me double oh seven....LICENCED TO KILL.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
The main issue of this thread is not so much the driving conditions of the Dominican Republic. Although poor, driving here is really not that bad. The main issue is the fact that the OP has a revoked license. The possibilities of an accident are slim, but higher than in many other countries. Most likely much higher wherever the OP is from. That is an assumption.

My point: Don't F#%!! with the law in the Dominican Republic.

For example: After years of driving in the U.S. I never got into an accident. My first year with a car in Santo Domingo and I got into two accident. Not too bad right? I was parked in both accidents. Still not too bad right? Here's the kicker...

If one of the persons who hit me, while I was parked, had gotten hurt; I would've most likely gone to jail. Like my cousin who was enjoying a beer with some friends on the Malecon last year. A motoconcho driver slammed into his parked car and had to be taken to the hospital. When the police came: "Who's car is this?". My cousin: "Mine officer". "Come with me".

Now, if you're license is expired? That's just asking for a terrible experience.

Call me paranoid, but I've been run through the legal gauntlet enough to play my cards right in the Dominican Republic.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The main issue of this thread is not so much the driving conditions of the Dominican Republic. Although poor, driving here is really not that bad. The main issue is the fact that the OP has a revoked license. The possibilities of an accident are slim, but higher than in many other countries. Most likely much higher wherever the OP is from. That is an assumption.

My point: Don't F#%!! with the law in the Dominican Republic.

For example: After years of driving in the U.S. I never got into an accident. My first year with a car in Santo Domingo and I got into two accident. Not too bad right? I was parked in both accidents. Still not too bad right? Here's the kicker...

If one of the persons who hit me, while I was parked, had gotten hurt; I would've most likely gone to jail. Like my cousin who was enjoying a beer with some friends on the Malecon last year. A motoconcho driver slammed into his parked car and had to be taken to the hospital. When the police came: "Who's car is this?". My cousin: "Mine officer". "Come with me".

Now, if you're license is expired? That's just asking for a terrible experience.

Call me paranoid, but I've been run through the legal gauntlet enough to play my cards right in the Dominican Republic.

I agree with all of this, but it makes no difference if his license is expired or not. They will never bother to check, as he will get the same Gringo treatment anyway. He will be in the wrong and have to pay. Unless he knows someone.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I drove here with my expired US license for almost a year, now I decided to get a DR license, which is pretty easy, especially if you speak a little Spanish. I have stopped few times in a police check point by the Policia Nacional, and when they asked my papers I just told them my papers are fine and that was it. They never demanded to see them, they never searched my car either after I was telling them that I have no guns. My expired DL worked everywhere when I had to identified myself - even though I have residency - I wanted to see if I can get away with it.
I guess maybe 30% or more of the Dominican drivers has no license at all. I know many who owns a car and drives regularly without a license and I was told by them that they -being Dominicans- would be in bigger trouble if the police stops them.
The police here have no computers in their car, so there is no way to run a check on anyone, especially on a foreigner.
That's true if you have an accident without a valid license you are in trouble. BUT, even with a valid US license you can drive only 2 or 3 months here legally.
Sometimes the best way is to play the stupid gringo who doesn't speak a word of spanish, just give them your license and smile.
NEVER, EVER give your passport to anyone at a traffic stop, get a certified copy from a lawyer or a notary and carry that, or least give that if they insist. Tell them your real one is locked in the hotel's safe...
BTW, when I came to the DR I was renting a car at the airport from Sixt and they didn't even asked my DL, only took a copy of my passport.
And yes, if you want to cover your a$$, get a DR license as soon as you have your residency.

The Hun

Caribe

May 11, 2011
Okay guys, no need to fight. I'll just get a license when my residencia is approved.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011

What was the charge for your cousin?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Anastacio this is one of the bigest things i hate about the DR there are two sets of rules one for them and one for us. Racisum at it finest . Thy will try to get us on every turn . I made a very big mestake seting up a life for myself here but i am in to deep to turn back now . To the op drive if you want may be you can run one of these devels off the roade . Anouther one will bite the dust well put anastacio lol RIP moto trash

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Anastacio this is one of the bigest things i hate about the DR there are two sets of rules one for them and one for us. Racisum at it finest . Thy will try to get us on every turn . I made a very big mestake seting up a life for myself here but i am in to deep to turn back now . To the op drive if you want may be you can run one of these devels off the roade . Anouther one will bite the dust well put anastacio lol RIP moto trash

What happened? (since you mentioned it), why are you in too deep to turn back? I thought you were going to be here for a while only (vacation).