Driving in DR

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
My nephew was recently driving in Santiago, crossing the southbound lanes of Avenida Hatuey to turn and go north. He was struck by a southbound car whose driver wanted my nephew to pay 2000 pesos for damages to the southbound car. I had thought my nephew would be at fault, given that he was coming from a side street to cross a bigger street. He tells me that whoever enters the intersection first must be given the right of way.

I'm used to driving in the U.S.A. where the 2-lane side street would have a STOP sign and drivers emerging from the 2-lane side street must yield to traffic on the 4-lane Avenida Hatuey. My nephew's car had reached the center, a break in the median, and his car was hit at the driver's side rear wheel. As he explains it (DISCLAIMER: and neither of us is a lawyer) the southbound driver was at fault for going too fast to be able to stop. I heard the tires screech for maybe a second and a half before the impact.

After exchanging information my nephew drove off but the other guy flagged down a passing Policía Nacional and we got stopped. My nephew explained that he needed to drop us off before he could go make a report. The place where you make the report is is in Fortaleza de San Luís in Santiago. He dropped off two passengers but I went with him thinking they might need me as a witness. It was explained that they don't do witnesses there, the Fiscalía does that stuff.

It's good to understand the right of way law if you drive. Check into it.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
For the 2000 pesos (36.00 USD) he would have been better off to just pay the guy and drive off. It's probably a scam but for 36 dollars it's not a great scam just a nuisance.
Exactly. He will spend more than that in gas trying to contest it.
What kind of damage could be repaired for 2000 pesos ? Was it a scratched bumper.
Sound like a poor man's scam if it was one - 2000 pesos was less than the rubber he lost off his tires by skidding for 1-1/2 seconds.

But it never surprises me how many drivers here, even in the poorest maintained cars, risk their lives and others' by driving at high speeds (when their car permits) on mismatched & worn out tires, no brakes and few if any functioning lights.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
My nephew was recently driving in Santiago, crossing the southbound lanes of Avenida Hatuey to turn and go north. He was struck by a southbound car whose driver wanted my nephew to pay 2000 pesos for damages to the southbound car. I had thought my nephew would be at fault, given that he was coming from a side street to cross a bigger street. He tells me that whoever enters the intersection first must be given the right of way.

I'm used to driving in the U.S.A. where the 2-lane side street would have a STOP sign and drivers emerging from the 2-lane side street must yield to traffic on the 4-lane Avenida Hatuey. My nephew's car had reached the center, a break in the median, and his car was hit at the driver's side rear wheel. As he explains it (DISCLAIMER: and neither of us is a lawyer) the southbound driver was at fault for going too fast to be able to stop. I heard the tires screech for maybe a second and a half before the impact.

After exchanging information my nephew drove off but the other guy flagged down a passing Policía Nacional and we got stopped. My nephew explained that he needed to drop us off before he could go make a report. The place where you make the report is is in Fortaleza de San Luís in Santiago. He dropped off two passengers but I went with him thinking they might need me as a witness. It was explained that they don't do witnesses there, the Fiscalía does that stuff.

It's good to understand the right of way law if you drive. Check into it.
If your nephew is ever in a similar situation again and no one was hurt, just pay the other driver a few bucks and be on he'll be on his merry way. Don't let him pass up the opportunity to be liberated from such annoyances again; just pay. Do not hesitate to pay the US$30 or 40 bucks he'll be happy he did. He should have a drink of whatever he fancy and enjoy his day not worrying about pesky insignificant things. Life is short with so much to do to waste a day chasing this stuff. Police report, fiscalia, yada yada oh my head hurts just thinking about it. Did I mention to just pay? :D

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Here in Santo Domingo, I tell my drivers that whenever they have an accident just tell the other driver that they can meet at the Casa de Conductor.
They have had a few bumps and scrapes over the years, and there's never been a case where the other driver showed up at the C de C to fill out paperwork.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Here in Santo Domingo, I tell my drivers that whenever they have an accident just tell the other driver that they can meet at the Casa de Conductor.
They have had a few bumps and scrapes over the years, and there's never been a case where the other driver showed up at the C de C to fill out paperwork.
Remind me not to play poker with you brother. 💰

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
There is no right of way.

Oh yes there is... The ones below quoted are the ones with the right of way as they do not care anymore... For which reason I stay far away from damaged vehicles:
But it never surprises me how many drivers here, even in the poorest maintained cars, risk their lives and others' by driving at high speeds (when their car permits) on mismatched & worn out tires, no brakes and few if any functioning lights.

Other group is heavy vehicles, they just run over whoever comes in front... The smaller the brains, more right of the way...

A few weeks ago, a taxi (yes, a taxi) was driving the wrong way in a one-way street in POP... Made me and 3 other cars to reverse...

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I was in ZC on Sunday. I saw a cop make 2 cars going the wrong way while crossing El Conde go back the way they came in reverse.
How about the folks who try to go through the Paso Rapido toll without having a sticker?

They will absolutely not let a person through and make everyone behind them back up so the offender can back out.

It's happened in front of me dozens of times.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
How about the folks who try to go through the Paso Rapido toll without having a sticker?

They will absolutely not let a person through and make everyone behind them back up so the offender can back out.

It's happened in front of me dozens of times.

These dumb a$$es can't read, can't distinguish the signs which explicitly states "PASO RAPIDO" in black letters with yellow background?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
These dumb a$$es can't read, can't distinguish the signs which explicitly states "PASO RAPIDO" in black letters with yellow background?
They're just as bad as the folks who drive in the Paso Rapido lane up to the toll booth to avoid the long line, then try to merge into the toll lane all the while blocking the Paso Rapido lane with their car until somebody lets them in, which of course nobody wants to do.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They're just as bad as the folks who drive in the Paso Rapido lane up to the toll booth to avoid the long line, then try to merge into the toll lane all the while blocking the Paso Rapido lane with their car until somebody lets them in, which of course nobody wants to do.
Cutting into traffic in front of a newer SUV with a crappy dented car is considered how to advance in life by Dominicans.
There is no doubt they are the rudest drivers I have encountered. And there is no law enforcement to follow and ticket them.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
easy to say ".just pay them " "not worth the trouble" but that dosnt encourage the dumbass to correct his behaviour. Nephew was in the right. What if he had paid and dumbass tells the police that nephew was in the wrong and drove off?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
easy to say ".just pay them " "not worth the trouble" but that dosnt encourage the dumbass to correct his behaviour. Nephew was in the right. What if he had paid and dumbass tells the police that nephew was in the wrong and drove off?
The smart thing is to get a police report, tell the agent you've reached an agreement, and have signed proof.

In small accidents it's better to keep the insurance company away, and the police are your friend.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
One principle of effective conflict resolution is to always control the situation until it is resolved.

A selfie (or video) with the other driver receiving the money may prevent the altering of a story after the conflict has been resolved by money. ;)

DISCLAMER
I am not advising anyone to engage in any activity that would be consider contra to the laws that would apply to the situation.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I know it goes against the sense of fairness but I went down that rabbit hole about 20 years ago and didn't like it one bit. I wasted a few days and endured many headaches to realize that I could have avoided the whole thing if I dealt with it on the spot with some insignificant cash settlement. Sometimes you win by losing and no amount of putting yourself through the ringer will wise up the "dumbass".

BTW dumbass can tell the police whatever he wants after you've collected his personal info and make him sign and/or video tape him for the money. One of my days is certainly worth more than a couple of thousand pesos and if it includes a headache the rate goes up exponentially.